- So we finally meet

The Rest of Our Lives

Chapter 1

Sehun walks out of the arrival hall at Sydney airport, eyes briefly skimming the crowd for any signs of familiarity. He gives up after a second. ‘Forget it,’ he tells himself. ‘They really left you alone.’ He adjusts his sunglasses and pulls his one bag towards the taxi stand.

 

*          *          *

“That’s it, Oh Sehun!” his mother had screamed, exasperated, as yet another sheepish looking girl did the walk of shame out of his bedroom dressed in last night’s shambles. They’d been lenient when he wanted to take a gap year after finishing high school. They’d accepted that he wasn’t going to prepare to take over the family business. They’d even accepted when he’d come home with a perfect 100 on his final exams and rejected all the university offers. But the latest disheveled looking party girl was the last straw.

 

*          *          *

‘It’s not as if I’m stupid,’ he decides, as he checks himself into a hotel – his family’s hotel. ‘Just unmotivated; and lazy; and sick of hotels.’ he concludes, looking around the familiar lobby. The finalities of his apartment still need to be worked out, so for the time being, he’s trapped in this place. Sehun rides the elevator up to the 14th floor and makes his way to the end of the hallway. He inserts the keycard and hears the electronic beep he’s gotten used to hearing his entire life, before opening the door to his new suite – cold and unwelcoming.

 

“Mr. Oh? It’s time to wake up now. Mr. Oh?” the hotel manager reluctantly opens the door to the suite, cautiously looking inside to find his boss’ son draped diagonally across the queen-sized bed. Sehun’s long legs hung slightly off the bed, exposing his toes beneath the bed sheets. As instructed, the man walks over to Sehun, pulling the sheets off the bed and unceremoniously revealing his semi- body to the chill of early morning. The boy groans, sitting up slowly and rubbing his sleep-deprived eyes. ‘Of course.’ he thinks. ‘Being left in solitude during exile was too good to be true.’

 

*          *          *

Sehun sits in the lobby of the hotel, absentmindedly the rim of a glass of red. He’d attended the university Orientation Day as ordered by his parents. The campus was nice enough, beautiful gardens and lawns dotted amongst the buildings. The main quadrangle was breathtaking; perfect verdant greens back-dropped by a magnificent castle converted into lecture rooms, amazing turrets and archways like something out of a movie. But it wasn’t the grounds that intrigued him – picturesque locations were something he was thoroughly familiar with. His mind kept wandering back to what that girl had said, and he considered it carefully as he sipped the bitter wine.

 

*          *          *

Sehun takes his time sauntering through the grounds, lazily trailing behind his tour group, paying little to no attention to the short, bespectacled student guide. His crimson red t-shirt hurt Sehun’s eyes, and he put on his sunglasses and lagged behind, putting as much distance between himself and the over-enthusiastic boy. He keeps walking forward slowly, spinning around, and appreciating the beautiful architecture, not realizing the group had stopped momentarily, earning himself a rather clumsy collision with the girl. She must have been nervous, he decides, as their little crash causes her to drop the guide book she’d been vigorously studying, and the tote bag perched precariously on her narrow shoulder slips, spilling its contents across the white concrete.

 

She sighs in frustration and scrambles to stuff everything back in her bag as the group begins to move away, her head constantly spinning back to check how far they’d gotten. Sehun kneels down to help her, noticing the trail of revealed skin around her neckline going deeper and deeper, a side effect of the loose t-shirt she was wearing which now draped itself over her knees as she bends down. Before he can get a better look, she’s upright again, and she panics – the tour group had long gone by then. Sehun takes the opportunity to introduce himself, making sure to add the hint of confidence and flirtation into his voice. She appears not to hear him, and runs off in attempt to catch up with the group, leaving Sehun standing in the middle of the quad alone with his hand outstretched.

 

The girl leaves him surprised; shocked even. Girls don’t run away from him; they stay, as long as possible in fact. ‘She probably didn’t get a good look at me.’ he tells himself, but he can’t shake the fact that he’d been completely and utterly ignored.


 

My very first fanfiction! Constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated. I like to know what you guys like, and what you guys think could be improved in my stories. Please subscribe and comment, and if you like this fic, please recommend it to your friends and followers. Enjoy.

 

Lots of love,

~J