1

the White caged Bird

act 1memories


 

 

          Jessica stares at the rain outside, ignoring the conversation in front of her until someone continuously calling her name. “Jess? Jessica?” called Changmin. “Yes?” answered Jessica, who’s now staring at Changmin. “What do you think about this place? They have the best facilities around here.” Explain Changmin. “Yeah. It’s up to you.” Said Jessica coldly as she continues her ‘staring’ activity.

 

                Jessica Jung, daughter of the famous Jung couple who owns the Jung Enterprise. She have a little sister, Krystal, they’re really close but in fact Jessica envy Krytal a lot, who’s able to do whatever she wants, unlike her, being the first child makes her parents pinning their hopes entirely t o her thats why she have that cold and serious persona. Now, her parents have arranged her marriage with the heir of Shim Corporation, Shim Changmin, wheather she wants it or not, she must obey her parents, as always.

 

                Changmin take a glance at Jessica, his fiancee, he’s known her only for several weeks, ‘I wonder is she’s always like this.’ He thought and then returned to focus about the wedding plan. Ever since their marriage announced, Jessica never once stepped in to her own wedding issues. Changmin sighed and look at his watch. ‘It’s time to go home.’ He thought and stands up. “Well, I think that’s it for today, thank you very much.” Changmin said to the wedding planners. He reached out his hand to Jessica, and she reached his. They both get out of Changmin’s office and walk towards the elevator. “So, where are we going?” asked Jessica. “Of course to have our dinner. Aren’t you hungry? We’ve sat there for hours!” answered Changmin. Jessica only nodded and stares at the elevator’s floor, she can be quite irritating sometimes.

 

                Shim Changmin, the heir of Shim Corporation. He’s kind and romantic, also humorous but most of the times he’s very serious and assertive. He’s an only child, so that he often feels lonely. He have a confidant, Eric Mun, who’s actually his cousin. He agreed to marry Jessica not only because of their parents friendship and business, but also because he have feelings for Jessica. However, Jessica seems to ignore his feelings.

 

                Inside Changmin’s Lexus LFA there’s only dead silence between the two of them.  Both busy with their own thoughts. Changmin was the one who broke the silence, “So, where do you ant to eat?”. Jessica averted her gaze from outside the car to Changmin, she stares at him for a second, “Wherever is fine for me.” She answered coldly. Changmin’s car stopped because of the red light, and he use this oppoturnity to talk about their relationship. “Jessica.” Changmin called her, his eyes met hers, “I know you  don’t want this engagement, but this is what our parents want. We can’t ‘disobey’ them, right? So please, at least don’t act like that to me. We can be friends, can’t we?” He said. Jessica looked at the road, “The lights has changed to green.” She commented. Changmin sighed and retured to drive.

 

                After dinner, Changmin dropped Jessica in front of her house, he even opened the door for her. “Okay then, see you tomorrow.” Said Changmin before Jessica opens the main door. Jessica turne around and smiled at him, “Thanks.” She said then go inside her house. Changmin is taken aback by Jessica’s words, in fact he hope he didn’t misheard it, then he head back home with a big smile in his face.

 

                Jessica lying on the couch while reading novel when Krystal breaks into her room. “Eonni [=older sister].” called Kyrstal as she sat in Jessica’s bed, “Isn’t it your engagement party tomorrow? Why are you still reading novel rather than doing something useful for tomorrow’s party?” she continues. “Something useful such as what?” asked Jessica not averting her gaze from the book. “W-well.. I don’t know.” Answered Kyrstal stammered. Jessica close the book and change her sitting position, facing Kyrstal, “Okay, let me get this straight. It’s my engagement, my business.Yes, I know you’re trying to help me, but i don’t need your help Krys, sorry, no offense. I just—“. “It’s okay, sis. I know your feeling.” Krystal said, “No you don’t. Please go out, Krys, i need my time alone.” Beg Jessica. Kyrstal obeyed her sister and get out.

 

                Jessica moved from the couch to the bed, “Eotteokhae [=what should i do]?” she asked herself and she sighed. Tomorrow is her engagement party, but she doesn’t have any feelings for Changmin. Moreover, she doesn’t want to hurt her parents feelings. Jessica sighed again, “I’ve followed all task given by my parents since i was a little kid. Why refuse now?” she questioned herself once again. She closed her eyes and go to sleep.

 

                At the same time, two best buddies are playing basketball, they’re Ok Taecyeon and Lee Teuk. “It seems that you’re getting better at this, Taec!” said Lee Teuk as he tries to steal the ball from Taecyeon. “Yes, of course. It’s all thanks to you, hyung [=older brother].” Said Taecyeon, dribbling the ball then shoot the ball to the ring, 3 point shoot. “Whoa, jinjja daebakkida [=you’re truly amazing].” Said Lee Teuk as he clapped his hands. Taecyeon rubbed the back of his neck and smiles. “Oh! I almost forgot. Changmin have his engagement party tomorrow, can you come?” said Lee Teuk , handing over an invitation card. Taecyeon flip it back and forth, “Hmm. I think I can. So, see you there?”. Leeteuk grab his bag and get out from the field, “Yup. See ya”.

 

                Taecyeon looks at the midnight sky, he realized how many years have passed since he last met that girl, that georgeus ice princess who he met at the subway.

 

                Jessica was on her way to her bestfriend’s house, Tiffany. She’s using the subway to go  there. When she’s about to sit, someone ‘stole’ her place.

Ya. Move.” Said Jessica coldly.

But the guy just looked at Jessica and said, “Make me.”

Jessica glared at him realy coldly. But he just smiles, making fun of Jessica. But suddenly, a fat guy bumped into her, making Jessica falls forward to Taecyeon’s embrace. For a few seconds both of them were stunned, looking at each other’s eyes. After she realizes,she quickly gets up and leave right away, but Taecyeon grabbed her hand.

“What do you want?” asked Jessica

“Your number?” said Taecyeon with a smile in his face.

“Go to hell.” Said Jessica and release her hands from his, then leave right away.

Taecyeon stared at Jessica’s back with a smile in his face, until she’s gone.

 

                ‘I wonder if she remembers me. I know i do.’ Taecyeon thought and chukled. ‘It’ll be very interesting if we meet again someday.’. But Taecyeon doesn’t know what he will going through tomorrow.