Chapter 1

A Promise

The sky was crying. I was standing in front of grave, looking at its words written on the headstone with small angel beside and not a single day has passed that I didn't think about you.

Lee Dong-hae

15.10.1986 - 8.12.2011

You will never be forgotten

"You left before I did." I muttered. "You promised you won't leave, until I die." A tear streamed down my, already wet, cheek.

"Hae~" I sang and hugged him from behind.

A wide smile crossed his face as he held my hands. "Rae Jin," he kissed my hands, making my cheeks turning into light shade of pink.

"Can you promise me something?" I asked and looked through hospital’s window.

"Anything for you Jinny," he said and looked at me.

"I barely have one year ahead of me." I started. He froze because he hated when I started talking about my leukemia. "Promise me, you won't leave before I do." I said, with my eyes closed and voice shaking. There was a silence. I opened my eyes and looked at him, seeing him how he was fighting with tears.

"I told you to stop talking like that. You have whole life in front." he said painfully and caressed my cheek. I closed my eyes again, enjoying in this moment.

"I know, but I'm getting weaker..." I whispered.

"I promise," he smiled and kissed me. "I promise I won't leave before you." he said as his voice was breaking once again. I smiled lightly and fell asleep in his arms.

One month passed by and it was my birthday; 8th December. Today was the day when I had a chance to go out with Donghae on a date, but when I woke up, Eunhyuk, Sungmin and Leeteuk were in my room, standing in front of me. I saw that it was raining not snowing like every previous year and that their faces were showing nothing more but sadness and anger.

"What's wrong?" I asked and looked behind them. "Where is Donghae?"

There was a silence between us, before Leeteuk walked to me, sat on the edge of bed and hugged me tightly, whispering: "He is gone."

"B-bwoh?" I stuttered. "Wh-what do you mean he is gone?" I asked and looked from one to another. "He said that we will go on a date today. Where is he?" I couldn't hold it inside anymore. Tears started streaming down my cheeks as my whole body started trembling.

"There was an accident in the morning, when he wanted to come..." Eunhyuk started quietly. "He and Henry were driving on the road. The road was slippery and right when they were on the corner the truck, on the other side, lost its way and they crashed face to face. Donghae died in a moment, while Henry is unconscious." he said.

"N-n-no... No, no, no..." I was murmuring shaking my head violently. "He promised me, he won't leave before I do!" I raised my voice. "He promised!" I screamed.

In that moment two nurses and a doctor walked in and gave me drug to calm me down. The whole day, I overslept, but when I woke up the next day, memories and reality struck me. I cried the whole day, the whole night, for one week. I didn't go on his funeral. It was too painful to see him lying in a coffin, where I should be.

After that time, my leukemia got worse. Doctor thought that I will die in a month, but here I am ... standing in front of his grave on 8th December 2012.

"You left before I did." I whispered and kneeled next to his grave, as rain didn't stop.

"You promised you won't leave before me." I whispered again and caressed grave. "You promised..." I added and closed my eyes, falling into deep darkness that was never ending.

"Rae Jin," I heard his voice from afar.

I opened my eyes and realized that I am sitting on a hill, under the tree, above the town. "Donghae," I smiled widely when I saw him standing in front of me. He held his hand out which I took and stood up.

"I’m sorry," he apologized. "I’m sorry for breaking our promise." he said.

"It’s okay," I smiled and hugged him tightly. "I am glad I can see you again." I whispered.

"I didn't stop thinking about you because I saw you how sad you were." He was feeling guilty, I could hear in his voice. "You have no idea how much I wanted to tell you I love you over and over again and how much I wanted to hold you in my arms." He buried face into my neck, feeling tears streaming down his cheeks.

"I love you, Donghae," I whispered into his ear and cupped his face, wiping away the falling tears. "Not a day has passed when I didn't think about you. I knew you were looking over me, but I couldn't agree on the fact that you won't step over those doors anymore. I was desperate to see you day after day, but now when I am with you...There isn't any other place where I would rather be." I smiled and kissed his forehead. "I love you," I whispered and hugged him once again.

"Donghae-ah," a male voice called him from behind. I slowly pulled away and looked at black haired man that was standing on my left side.

"Dad," Donghae smiled widely and took my hand, running to him. "Dad, this is Rae Jin, the girl I have been talking about." he said and turned to me. "Rae Jin, this is my dad." he smiled.

I smiled and bowed deeply. "Annyeonghaseyo," I greeted. "My name s Kang Rae Jin," I introduced myself.

"Nice to meet you Rae Jin-ah." he smiled and hugged me, making my cheeks turning into light shade of red. "I have heard a lot of sweet things about you. On top of all this, you are really cute." he said and glanced at Donghae who only looked to the ground, blushing madly.

"Gomawo," I chuckled and bowed again. Then Donghae hugged me tightly and spin me in the air.

We played games, tickling each other, laughing till our stomachs hurt and enjoyed in everything we did. It was just like a dream that I always dreamt about. I was happy again after a long time. I was freely running. I was feeling young. I met and talked with people that I love.

The feeling of being healthy. The feeling to meet with the one you love. The feeling of never aging. The feeling of never dying ... That is the knowledge that you died...


Happy Birthday to our Fishy.

Though he is 27 (28 in Korea) years old he still acts like a little kid that we all adore and love.