“Fly, my little airplane! Fly!”

Origami Airplanes

Origami Airplanes

 
Origami Airplanes; just paper shaped into a plane? No. Origami isn’t just childish things for kids to play (and for kids to waste). If you look deeper, a simple origami airplane has it’s role. Even though it’s simple, it can bring back simple memories forgotten after how many years. Making it can be quite complex at the start—but once you get used to it, you just wanna make more and more.
 
 
 


 

 
Eomma,” A little girl poked her mothers’ cheek to gain attention. 
 
 
“Yes, sweetie?” The mother replied, she settled her magazine down before looking at her.
 
 
“Well—”
 
 
“If you want to go to Jongin’s house, okay then. I’ll gladly accept,” The little girl smiled cheerfully as she tugged her mothers’ shirt, “Let’s go Eomma!”
 
 
 


 

 

“Annyeonghaeseyo, Mrs. Kim, my daughter wanted to see your son today.” The little girls’ mother said, “I know, Jongin is waiting for her,” The old lady faced her, “Come in, Seo.” The old lady said then grabbed her tiny hand, motioning her to come in inside the house.
 
 
“Bye Eomma!” The little girl shouted, “Love you,” She mumbled.
 
 
After her mother left, the old lady faced her, “Well, welcome back, Seo! Jongin is in the backyard, I’ll go make both of you snacks, okay?” Seohyun nodded her head obediently before making her way to the backyard.
 
 
 


 

 
“Yah! Kai oppa!” Seohyun yelled, running to his direction, “Seo-baby!” Kai chuckled, he knows that Seohyun hates that nickname.
 
 
“Hush!” She hissed before slapping Kai’s shoulder playfully and Kai couldn’t help but let out a small laugh.
 
 
“Mian, couldn’t help calling you that.” 
 
 
Seohyun nodded then sat beside Kai, she watched him do what he was doing and meanwhile, she noticed something. He wasn’t playing with his robots or those stupid toy trucks that annoy Seohyun.
 
 
Instead, he has a pair of scissors, colored paper, and a pen. Weird, Kai oppa doesn’t play those. Seohyun scooted closer and grabbed one paper that was shaped into an airplane, she observed it and noticed that it didn’t have any contents (except, she noticed some writing inside it). Seohyun faced Kai,
 
 
“Oppa,” She paused, “How do you play this?” She questioned, her eyes not leaving the paper plane. 
 
 
“Guess,” Kai smirked and Seohyun pouted, he hated it when Kai is always playing her. 
 
 
“Ahh,” Seohyun wrinkled her nose, “Vroom, Vroom?” She said—or more like imitated Kai’s toy trucks when he plays it. 
 
 
“Haha, Seo!” 
 
 
“What?!” Seohyun asked, annoyed.
 
 
Kai shook his head, her and her stubbornness. He took one paper plane then fixed the sides, pointing the paper plane at the sky, he threw it into the air. Seohyun stared in awesome she watched the paper plane fly here and there; it was her first time seeing it anyways. 
 
 
“Woah!” Was the only thing she can say, “But, what’s up with all the contents in the paper plane?” She asked and looked at the contents of the paper plane she took.
 
 
“My life,” 
 
 
“Wai—” Seohyun paused for a moment. “So, you’re saying that you like someone?” She said, since she saw writings saying that he likes someone.
 
 
Kai felt himself blushing like mad, but he didn’t want Seohyun to see that. Seohyun, on the other hand, had a teasing smile on her face. “It’s Krystal isn’t it?”
 
 
Kai immediately shook his head as a response, “No!!” If only you know it’s you, stupid. Seohyun shook her head, “You’re nine years old oppa, don’t you think it’s way too early to have a crush on someone?” No, I fell for you, it isn’t early, it’s just the right time. “I don’t like anyone.”
 
 
“Anyways, teach me how to make these! It looks fun, oppa!”
 
 
 


 

Within five minutes, Seohyun already filled the air with her (somewhat failed) paper planes. She jumped up and down while looking at the sky, proud that she can actually make those.
 
 
“Nice, huh?” Seohyun nodded, not really paying attention to Kai at that moment.
 
 
 


 

 
It was aready the end of school and Seohyun went out to the park to play. It was quite weird though, Seohyun was the one who absolutely loved to read books! Seohyun and her books could never be separated, and that’s a fact. But ever since the paper plane that Kai showed her, she changed. She would go out everyday and waste paper just to make a paper plane, then throw it in the air. Not even bothering to pick it up again.
 
 
Seohyun sat down then placed her bag beside her as she grabbed scissors and paper.
 
 
After she did one paper plane, she threw it in the sky and watched it disappeared in her sight—by disappearing, I mean, it landed five meters away from her.
 
 
“I don’t think you get the point of making those planes.” A voice spoke.
 
 
Seohyun turned around and saw Kai leaning against a tree, he was watching her the whole time.
 
 
“Huh,” Seohyun paused, “Like you know.”
 
 
Kai scoffed. He admits, he’s a weirdo at times but, he has some knowledge too. Frowning, he went up to Seohyun and sat beside her. “Seo,”
 
 
No response.
 
 
“Seo,”
 
 
His voice getting higher, but still no response.
 
 
Kai looked at Seohyun before taking the paper plane she made, “Give—” “No.” Kai paused, “Listen first.” 
 
 
Seohyun calmed down, ready to listen to Kai, “When folding a paper plane, don’t do it because you have to, put all your emotions in it. Aigoo, and I once thought you we’re smart, yes, smart when it comes to academics, yeah. Anyways, if you’re depressed or mad, make a plane and throw your worries away. If you’re happy, make a plane and share your story to the world.” Kai smiled, “I know you want to share your story as well.”
 
 
Seohyun nodded. Not because she had to, but because she understood Kai.
 
 
“Well, I’m happy right now.” Seohyun said while smiling.
 
 
Kai smiled as well, she handed Seohyun a pen before saying, “Write your story down then.”
 
 
Seohyun happily obliged, she wrote everything that happened that day. How she got a perfect score on her history test, and how she ate caviar for lunch. Hmm,
 
 
She stood up and Kai did the same,
 
 
“Hana,” Seohyun started counting down,
 
 
“Dul,” Kai followed,
 
 
“Set,” Both of them counted.
 
 
Seohyun smiled before throwing her paper plane away.
 
 
Share your story to the whole world, Seohyun-ah. Let them hear you!
 
 
 


 

 
“Seo, wanna go out?” Seohyun was about to speak when, “No lame excuses, let’s go.” He held her hand and helped her sneak out of the window, early in the morning.
 
 
“Now tell me, where are we going again, oppa?”
 
 
“Our usual spot, wae?” Seohyun shook her head.
 
 
 


 

 

“Sit,” Kai demanded as he tapped the spot beside him. 
 
 
Seohyun did as told and sat beside him, “What do you want now, oppa?” 
 
 
“Ah, nothing, I just wanna spend my time with you...” He stuttered.
 
 
And Seohyun found him suspicious that day...
 
 
“Hm, okay then. What do you have in mind that we can do?”
 
 
“We’ll make paper planes,”
 
 
“Huh—”
 
 
“Just do it, please?” He pleaded.
 
 
Seohyun wanted to ask what’s wrong, but she couldn’t. Since she wasn’t even sure if something was wrong.
 
 
Seohyun grabbed a paper and knelt down as she started folding it, when she was done, she stood up then faced Kai. His eyes we’re teary, like he was about to cry.
 
 
“Kai oppa, what’s wro—”
 
 
“Now write what I’ll say, okay?”
 
 
Seohyun tilted her head, “Do it for me, Seo.”
 
 
Seohyun nodded but with a little hesitation.
 
 
“Friends will come and friends will go,” Kai started, Seohyun wrote it down.
 
 
“The seasons change and it’ll show.”
 
 
“The time comes when I age, and so will you.” 
 
 
“But,”
 
 
“Our friendship stays, strong and true.” He finished.
 
 
Seohyun wrote everything he said, it was a friendship poem. Seohyun chuckled, “A friendship poem, really?” Kai looked down then nodded.
 
 
“Why?” 
 
 
“Nothing. Jsut promise me you won’t forget me.” 
 
 
“Of course I won’t, you’re my best friend Kai! My brother already!” Why brother?
 
 
“Let’s throw it together then, shall we?” Seohyun nodded her head.
 
 
After a count down of three, both flew their paper planes high in the air. Bye.
 
 
 


 

 
Time passed by, Seohyun called for Kai. A cake she baked only for him since it was his birthday, she waited outside his door that day but no ones home, she waited. And waited. And waited. But none.
 
 
 


 

 

Guilt filled Seohyun’s mind after hearing the news; Kai left.
 
 
He left for Canada, he left her because of his sickness, he needed proper medical treatment that time. He didn’t want her to know, he didn’t want her to worry about him.
 
 
But, not even a goodbye?
 
 
 


 

 
Ten years had past, Seohyun is now eighteen years old, but until now, her mind wouldn’t forget Kai. She wanted to see him again, but what if he’s gone? 
 
 
“One more origami airplane.” Seohyun mumbled to herself.
 
 
She went to a forest garden, her paper plane with her.
 
 
After writing the contents, she started to count down again,
 
 
Hana... She remembered her and Kai, counting.
 
 
Dul... She remembered all the paper planes they made.
 
 
Set... She remembered all the memories they had, countless memories they had.
 
 
Within a second, the paper plane flew away.
 
 
Fly, my little airplane! Fly!
 
 
 


 

 

“Be back early!” An old lady scolded her nineteen year old son.
 
 
The boy nodded and walked out of their house, no, brand-new-house.
 
 
He walked down a certain path, and he doesn’t know why, but, he felt like he had known that place before.
 
 
While walking, a paper plane flew across his face.
 
 
His face brightened a bit, he remembered making those things when he was little—he remembered making it with someone, but he couldn’t remember.
 
 
He picked up the paper plane and read the content;
 
 
Never think that the result is always the end, cause it isn’t. Don’t think negatively, think happily. Don’t be sad that it ended, be glad that it actually happened.
Cause everything happens for a reason, he left me because of a reason.
 
 
And suddenly, if you think of it, he actually smiled.
 
 
 
 
 


 

 
 
A/N: OKAY! Done! My second one-shot, done! I am so happy! Hope you all like it like I did! Well, sorry for the grammatical errors. English isn’t my first language and I’m quite terrible at it!