I Don't Want To Be Alone

I Wouldn't Change A Thing

‘Please come get me! I don’t want to be alone.’ After you typed up your message you hit send.

You walked away. If you didn’t there would be a huge fight and you weren’t sure your friendship could withstand the blow. Trying to walk away as quickly as possible, you turn a corner only to see her standing in front of you. If you had to stand there and listen to her tell you why you shouldn’t be with him one more time you were going to go insane.

            You tried to stay calm as you went round her. But her grabbing your hand did nothing to help matters.

            “Let go.” You demanded. She just stood there.

            “Let me go now.” You said a little louder in case she didn’t hear you the first time.

            “Tell me why you confessed to him? He is our best friend. Do you know what this will do to our happiness?”

            “Don’t you mean what will this do to your happiness?” You asked as seriously as possible.

            “What?” she asked clearly confused.

            “I know you liked him too. And I know I should have told you I was going to tell him, but I couldn’t wait any longer. I’ve known him longer than you.”

            “And what? Knowing him longer gives you more of a reason to confess and be with him?” She asked.

            “No. But since I’ve known him longer I’ve missed him more. I waited at the hospital when he was eight and he and his family were in a car accident. I didn’t know if he would come out alive. Do you know how scary that was?” You paused to take a breath.

            “So, what?”

            “So, where were you when we went on vacation to the mountains? He broke a rib diving off the cliffs trying to impress me and what were you doing?”

            “I had some business to take care of.”

            “You mean following around the boy you liked at the time? How many boys have you looked at?”

            “Excuse me?” She asked she was still confused.

            “I’ve only ever looked at him.” You said a single tear splashing against your cheek. “Why do you want me to be so unhappy?”

            “Because you have everything!”

            “What do you mean I have everything?”

            “I’m jealous because you have the looks and guys worship you. People flock to you. What do you have that I don’t?” She said trying to insult you.

            “Wow. If that’s what it takes for you to let him go you can have it. I’ve never wanted it. But you really want to know what I have that you don’t?” She nodded her head.

            “Brains and a decent personality.” This is exactly why you wanted to leave the conversation unfinished earlier. Your friendship was as good as done.

            “I have everything? You have a family. Do you know what I would give up if it meant I could find my real parents? Do you know why you’re lucky?”

            “Oh god, let’s not do this right now.”

            “No, let’s. Your parents wanted you! Do you know how lucky that makes you? Obviously not since you’re willing to throw it all away for some popularity.”

            “Please stop.” She said trying to correct herself so she wouldn’t look like the bad guy.

            “You want to know why guys don’t like you? Because you’re too desperate for them to like you that you are willing to do almost anything. Does that sound like someone you would want to take home to meet your parents?” You asked. “Would you want your parents to meet someone like you?” You hadn’t noticed her raising her hand until it struck your cheek. The pure shock of your best friend of ten years hitting you knocked you to the ground. Your tears flowing freely now, you held your cheek.

            A warm arm was around you immediately. Finally, he had shown up. You buried your face in his jacket.

            “What are you doing here?” She asked him.

            “I was asked to come pick her up. Why are you hitting her?”

            “She was in the process of calling me a .” You looked up and she could see how pain ridden your face was.

            “And?” He asked, clearly taking your side in all this.

            “I can’t believe this! You are on her side.” She was shocked. You kept crying into his jacket, you knew it was over. You knew you were being used the last ten years. Everything about your relationship was fake.

            “Do you want to know why?” He asked. She turned her head; she wasn’t the least bit interested.

            “She knows me better than I know myself. We have so much history together. How many vacations did you miss out on because you were chasing some loser?” Her face softened now. Hearing this from him changed her mood. You mentally begged him to go on.

            “I fell for this girl the moment I saw her fifteen years ago.” He said helping you stand.

            “You were six then. How would you know what love is?” She asked baffled by the possibility.

            “She opened my eyes. Until I met her I didn’t know anything. Whatever she wanted to do I was willing to join her even if I hated it. She opened my heart at the age of six.” You looked into his eyes. More tears flowed onto your cheeks and he used his thumbs to wipe them away.

            “Let's go.” He said his arm still around you. Escorting you to his car and helping you into the passengers seat he drove you home.

            Looking out the window you thought about what he said about you opening his eyes. You guessed that was his answer to your confession.

            When he pulled up outside your house he rushed to the passenger door and opened it for you. He grabbed his bag and helped you to the front door.

            “You want to go to sleep?” he asked throwing his bag down by your couch.

            “No.” You simply say.

            “You want to watch a movie?” he suggested.

            “No.” You say sitting on the couch. Tilting your head back as he sits beside you, you close your eyes. He pulls your head to his shoulder and kisses your hair. Opening your eyes and seeing how close your nose was to his, your heart began racing.

            “Can I ask you a question?”

            “Hmmm.” You say sleepily.

            “If you could go back and change one thing in your life, what would it be?” You had to think about this for a minute. All of your memories held his face and you didn’t want to lose a single minute of it.

            “I wouldn’t change anything.” You finally say.

            “Why not?” He asked.

            “Because all of my memories are of us doing the things we love, I wouldn’t want to trade any of it. In a way memories are lessons we’ve learned. Except all of mine are repeat lessons.” You said laughing at the last bit.

            “How do you mean?” He asked kissing your hair again.

            “All of my lessons were of why I like you.” At that he puts his index finger under your chin and slowly pulls you closer.

            “Is that so?” He asked breathing lightly.

            “Absolutely.” You whisper your lips mere centimeters away from his.

            “Want to make some more memories?” He whispered back.

            “Yes please,” You practically begged.

            As soon as his lips touched yours you whimpered slightly. He pulled your shoulders forward and you wrapped your arms around his neck. Placing a hand at your waist, he pulled you to his lap.

            “Wait.” You said. “ Slow down.”

            “Oh, I’m sorry. I just got so excited.” He said placing his lips to yours.

            “Is it weird for you? To be kissing me, I mean.” He kissed you again. This time he took his time brushing his lips over yours. He was very graceful with his kisses.

            “Absolutely not,” He said breathless.

            “I think it’s time for bed.” You said pulling him off the couch and leading him to your room. Closing the door you lay down as he took the vacant spot beside you. Wrapping yourselves in the blankets and getting closer to him, he kisses your lips one last time before you both fall asleep.

            You decided you wouldn’t change a damn thing.