sandboxes and sweaters (1/?!?)

Life As They Knew It

a/n: photo credit goes to sheepishchen

It was a bright, sunny day, a breeze barely hitting the crisp golden red leaves in the trees. Jongdae, a short 5 year old, holds his mom's hand tightly as they walk over to Jongdae's new school. Jongdae's new sweater is too big; the gray sleeves roll down his arms and hides his hands when he lets go of his mom's hands. His mom laughs at the long sleeves covering her son's hands. She folds the sleeves until his hands are visible again, and reminds him, "You're such a big boy now, so you have go to school without umma being there by you. Behave, don't get in trouble, and make some friends. And don't forget to eat your lunch and don't get the sweater dirty, okay? I love you, Jongdae-ah."

Jongdae laughs, a smile painting his face, "Okay, I love you too umma." His mom kisses his forehead before she drops him in his new class, leaving him all alone in a room with a tall lady and 15 other students playing around. Jongdae sees the colorful walls with rainbow splatters of hands and polka dots; little car and train tracks decorating the corner where majority of the boys played; the girls in another corner playing with dolls or sitting near the bookshelf reading. He gulps and almost cries at the disorientating room. I want my mom. 

The tall lady spots the little boy standing awkwardly at the door, and walks over to Jongdae.  She crouches down to his level and asks, "What is your name? I'm your teacher Ms. Kim." Jongdae whispers, "My name is Kim Jongdae," tears threatening to come out of his eyes. Ms. Kim notices and she brings out a tissue to wipe his eyes. She hugs him and coos in his ear, "It's going to be alright Jongdae; kindergarten is a lot of fun so don't cry." Jongdae sniffles, and breaks from the hug. After putting Jongdae's belongings in his respected cubby, the teacher calls over to a boy silently coloring in his book. The little boy, slightly shorter than Jongdae, comes over and asks in a bright voice, "Yes, Ms. Kim?"

Ms. Kim turns to Jongdae, "Jongdae, this is Junmyeon." Junmyeon waves and smiles; Jongdae stares at Junmyeon, who wears a similar sweater, except it's red with stripes. "Junmyeon, do you mind showing Jongdae around the classroom?"
Junmyeon brightly responds, "Yes Ms. Kim! Let's go Jongdae!," and with a salute, he takes Jongdae's hand and drags him around the classroom.

.............................
"This is where the crayons are," Junmyeon points to the cabinet labeled "crayons", "And this is where the paper is; we have to, um, ask, Ms. Kim if we want paper. And over here," Junmyeon takes Jongdae to the center of the room where the tables and chairs line up side by side, "is where I sit. See, there's my name!" He smiles at Jongdae, his baby teeth sparkling in the light, his mouth . Jongdae shyly smiles back, and looks down, his cheeks suddenly red. All of a sudden, Junmyeon runs to Ms. Kim, who was busy talking to parents and their child, and pulls on the hem of her jacket, "Ms. Kim, can Jongdae sit next to me, please?" She nods yes before shooing him away. Junmyeon runs back to Jongdae, still standing in the same spot. 

"Jongdae, guess what? Ms. Kim said you can sit next to me! We're going to be the best classmates ever!" Junmyeon exclaims and jumps in the air. Jongdae looks at Junmyeon's strange actions, and slowly sits in his yellow chair next to his new friend, waiting for class to begin.
.............................
"That's it for the day, class. There's no homework, so enjoy the rest of the day!" Ms. Kim says, cleaning up the supplies. Jongdae walks over to his cubby after pushing his chair in (he can't wait to tell his mom how he was a good boy today and he made a new friend too). He takes his Pikachu backpack from the hook and sees that Junmyeon has a Squirtle backpack (he also notices that his cubby is next to his new friend, but that's not important). Jongdae shuffles out the door and waits for his mom to come pick him up from school.