final

When The Cherry Tree Blooms

Love begins unexpected, most of the time. Sometimes, it has a clichéd way – two friends grow up together and eventually fall in love. But still, the realization that you are in love with your friend may be surprising and unexpected. Some persons won't even find that surprising, at all. But most of the time, love is unexpected – the beginning, the person whom you will fall in love with, the way it may end or not – that makes life so liveable. However, the ending may or may not be expected.

 

In his case, it was the latter. An unexpected end of love. His reaction was quite cold, though.

She left him just like that.

And he left her just like that, too. (He left his life just like that.)

He knew he left her when she wasn't coming, which was unusual because she would always visit him, at three pm sharp, and ring his bell exactly two times. She was as meticulous as that. Then, when he'd open the door, she would give a little smile (which was full of love, he knows) and go straight to the kitchen, complaining about the emptiness of his fridge ("But why is it so empty? You never learn, don't you?") and making some food, nevertheless. Humming a song he didn't know (it was always this one song he never got to hear), and dancing a bit, without any flaws, just all on her own, with fluid movements.

(He could've – should've – just seen all those hints. But maybe he was too blind to see them. Blinded of love.)

And when she wasn't there, he knew she left him. Left because of her decisions, her passions, her dreams. Which made him think.

What was he without her?

 

 

(I'm sorry, I should've told you. I really am. We can keep in touch, though. XOXO, Jessica, she writes. Less than ten seconds later, there is a second message saying, I meant Sooyeon, sorry.

He deletes both messages without answering.)

 

He should leave too, he decides. Getting away from the familiar. Approaching new places, new persons maybe a new love. He goes on a trip to find himself. (This sounds just about fine.)

And that's what he did, in the end. Left his home, his meticulous, nice home, just for the sake of finding himself. (Not like he will be succeeding, oh no.

Maybe he wants to venture for the sake of finding a new love.

In the end, he finds himself in a new apartment (he sold out his old one plus all his other furniture – his new apartment doesn't have anything. Blank walls, blank everything, blank new page of his life. He thinks it's okay), with a nice look to a less populated place in the city, and a tree, right at the left side.

He thinks he has made a good decision. But why isn't he smiling, then?

 

The next morning he wakes up in a new bed, and goes to the fridge (it's empty) and with a sigh, he goes out (he had spotted the chicken shop before, when he had looked at the scenery, last night. Not that he likes chicken – especially not the chicken in the box which tastes like paper, but it's better than starving). Under the tree which already lost half of its trees, there are two girls, one of them laughing loudly (laughing for the two of them), the other a bit reserved, but still smiling. He acts like he doesn't care (acts like his heart doesn't thump when he sees them, because he doesn't want to think of her – he's sure she doesn't think of him either) and sits down on the little chicken shop. The owner, a somewhat good-looking but younger boy, smiles as he sees him (his smile makes him even more handsome), and asks for his order.

"Usual chicken in the box, I'd say," he replies. The boy nods and starts cooking. In the meantime, two other girls enter the shop, both laughing. One has a big, gummed smile, while the other has a bright (read as: bright as stars) smile. They don't really notice him (and that’s okay, he assumes), and laugh and talk and laugh louder and he smiles involuntarily. (It kind of hurts, to smile after such a long time. It just doesn't feel right.) They talk and talk and talk (and do not notice him), and it's kind of fine. (Even the pain, stinging like a needle, only in one place at a time, is. It makes him feel alive, somehow.)

(He thinks it's alright.)

 

The next day, he goes again to the chicken shop. Not like he really wants to go there, but he goes because of her. It sounds so pathetic in his ears and he knows it himself, but he can't help himself. Maybe this is his real him – totally persistent and determined. He doesn't know if this is a good thing, yet. He thinks it is. The weather today is nice, the sun shines brightly for an autumn day, and everything seems fine. Jinki wonders if he looks like a normal teenager who was ready for any love (because he isn't, yet.)

"Hey, I think I've seen you yesterday," the girl says. Long hair, almond-shaped black pearls, refined face, nice body (he can't actually tell that either but he assumed it).

"That could be, " he answers and wonders how strained his voice sounds. He doesn't know how much time passed since Sooyeon left him, but apparently it had been a long time, hence the strain.

She laughs (he thinks that if would the falling down of cherry blossoms would have a noise, it would be this laugh.) "I remember you. You were staring at us, Jinri at me, for quite a long time." She giggles. "If it would've been an ugly boy, I would totally be turned off. But… you're a different case."

Jinki doesn't know what to say. Sooyeon had never, not even once, told him that he was handsome.

She giggles again. "There is… something in your eyes. Something beautiful I want to explore, where I want to get deeper in. Something like that."

He grins. "Aha?"

She breaks into laughter (more like a giggling laughter). "Yes! You could say…" She looked up, trying to find her words.

"A spark?" He suggests.

"Yes! Yes, this is the word!" She looks at him, a pretty gaze in her eyes, pointing a finger at him and grinning widely. "You have a spark in your eyes. I like that."

He chuckles. "Thanks."

"Ah, by the way, I'm Sunyoung," she introduces herself.

"I'm Jinki," he replies. It sounds weird, actually, but she breaks to a smile and says, "You have a nice smile."

"Ah.. Thanks."

(He actually likes her.)

 

Love blooms just like that. He finds himself just like that. He forgets his old self, and focuses on his life with Sunyoung. Sooyeon is forgotten, there is only Sunyoung. The Jinki she knows is kind, nice, a bit reserved but who cares, has a good listening ear, sometimes funny and likes chicken (not that much that it can be considered as obsession, but sometimes she just can't help herself but make fun of it and say, yah you chicken-obsessed man! and he would reply nonchalantly, if I wouldn't like chicken I wouldn't know a chick like you, and the joke is so lame that both laugh about it). He thinks it's okay, really, that she knows him this way. He wants it this way. Because he, himself, likes it this way. Who cares about the past, about a person who only cared about his girlfriend and did everything for her? No one does. Jinki neither.

The two girls, in the meantime, have gotten louder and louder, and Sunyoung tells him that the one with the big smile is Hyerim and the other (the prettier one) Naeun. They've been friends since forever, she says, but not really close. Long-known acquaintances. (Jinki wonders if they will call each other that way soon. Long-known acquaintances. It hurts, this word, more than it probably should. Because he doesn't want to be just acquaintances with Sunyoung. He'd like to spend an entire lifetime with her, eating chicken, laughing and making chicken and chick jokes. He'd like to be with her, forever and ever.) Sometimes Jinki sees entwined hands, but acts like he doesn't care. He's been a bit iffy about homouality ever since. Not that he hated it, no, he felt a bit awkward since he didn't know anyone in his near circle of friends who was. (And actually, he doesn't care if Naeun and Hyerim were lesbian or not. All he cared of was Sunyoung. And really, he couldn't bear it when Sunyoung would be lesbian.)

"I think I like you," he says, then, just like that.

Sunyoung laughs –it just sounds so beautiful in his ears that he never wants it to stop – and she says, "you think? I know I like you."

Jinki breaks to a smile, then, a wide and genuine smile and it doesn't hurt anymore because the whole world is beautiful now, and great and is the sun shining more? It probably does. Jinki knows, he can tell. Flowers bloom in his soul, and he can feel his heart bursting to a beautiful firework.

Yes, today is a good day.

 

The next day, he makes little jumps instead of steps, and everything seems nice and so light, as if something in the air vanished. It feels so nice, this day (even though it rains, he feels like he could sing and dance like Gene Kelly once did), and he almost runs to the chicken shop.

And then he sees them hugging.


 

Oh, I'm sorry if that was a bit too rash OTL. Those were my cards: ending: Cliffhanger, Aspect: Protagonist embarks on a journey to find him/herself, genre: angst, f(x) luna x shinee onew, a pink eunji x a pink naeun. 

As you can maybe tell, I fulfilled all of them, but in a weird, slight, and shallow way. At least I can say that I, somehow, like this. Well,  I sincerely hope you liked this, too. All the best, heartsparks