crush

trainee!au series

Soojung is no one but that girl across the hall.

• • •

 

He stares at Sehun's face more than he should, lately. There is a hint of maturity in his facial features; his jaw prominent, nose perfectly pointed. He shifts to make sure of his profile and approves with a smile.

"You finally did it," he says, arms around the younger boy's shoulders. "Puberty hit you well my friend."

"I'll take that compliment," he replies, hands gripping on his backpack straps. Sehun raises a curious eyebrow and lets his eyes drift from door to door.

They are walking towards their training room, the one across a long hallway that connects the entire building. There are floors, but a trainee shouldn't explore unless told to. (Then again, Jongin is a veteran.) They are almost at the door when he senses footsteps, trailing behind them and he stops to make sure Sehun does too. Because it should be her again.

"Sehun-ah," he hears. It's more or less a tune, and the familiarity of it is something they both can't ignore. Jongin peers to his right and expectedly sees a girl with dark hair, today covering one side of her face, long until her elbows. She tucks it behind her ear, and he watches her gaze. 

There is hesitance before an abrupt question.

"Come to our side later? I- we need a favor," she whispers, meticulously stressing on the "we." She looks embarrassed, again, Jongin thought, and sees her eyes form crescents as she scrunches her face. 

"Sure," the boy replies lazily, lips thinning into a line. She makes him promise by a forced pinky swear from the latter and leaves to the room two doors away.

Endearing.

"She takes jazz dance? Since when?" Jongin asks, eyes still fixed at her figure disappearing beyond the door. 

"Um, since forever?"

Jongin feels his hand being pulled by force and seconds later, finds himself in contact with wooden floors. As trained, they would immediately prepare into their warmups. He throws his bag roughly to the side, hitting sehun's foot.

“Sorry.” They exchange glances, and follows to stare at themselves on the large wall mirrors. 

"I'm pretty sure you knew Soojung took jazz. You guys have the same instructor."

Jongin shakes his head nonchalantly, arms stretching to his left.

"She didn't seem like the type."

Sehun rolls his eyes at the obvious then continues to warm his legs, stretching them further apart each interval. They should be able to do splits "without difficulty by now," Jongin repeats, and the other smiles in embarrassment. He continues to demonstrate in front of Sehun, aiding him to succeed and after, leaning against the mirror walls. Ignoring the weird sounds his friend is making, he studies the reflective surface, looking for the ink scribble he remembers from two weeks ago. Before he could determine its location, a finger points up at the space he was referring to.

"I'm taller now, by the way."

"Don't flatter yourself, ."

"I'm not kidding. I finally outgrew Soojung."

Soojung. He hears it the second time today and each syllable replays in his ears, even if it is only two.

Jongin smiles at the thought and manages to feign it with a playful grin. The instructor comes in a minute later with their body completely alert as they bow in respect. The authority dismisses them with a nod of the head.

At the order to sit, he rapidly takes out his phone and snaps a picture before Sehun could realize. It would've been weird seeing someone take a picture of a scribble, after all.

 

• • •