Chapter 1

Imaginary Spaces

Yifan has been bewildered when Yixing places the stick on the table.

He stares at the two red lines across and looks up at Yixing, “You are pregnant?”

Yixing nods as he taps his fingers on the table, something he does when he is nervous.

“Oh… Wow. I didn’t… I didn’t know you are seeing anyone.” Yifan says, sounding just as shock as he looks.

Yixing rolls his eyes, “, Yifan. If I am seeing anyone you will be the first one to know since we ing shares the apartment.”

“Huh?” The look on Yifan is so stupid Yixing wants to shove the pregnancy stick down his throat.

“Please tell me you remember why we haven’t been talking to each other for weeks.”

Yixing watches as comprehension dawns on Yifan’s face, “Oh. It’s… Oh my god.”

“Yeah it’s yours.” Yixing confirms. The last thing he expects from the one night affair with his flat mate is a baby. As if things are not awkward enough.

“You are sure?”

“If you are talking about being pregnant, yes. This is the third test I have done. If this is about whether the child is yours then yes too because I am not a who let just about anyone s me.”

“Look, I didn’t mean it that way. I am just shocked, that’s all.” Yifan hurriedly clarifies, “What… What are you going to do about it?”

Yixing subconsciously places a hand on his flat belly, “I am keeping it, Yifan. I mean, it’s not like I am a teenager and money isn’t an issue… I… I am not ready to be a father, Yifan. But I can’t think of any reason not to want it.”

Somehow Yifan feels relieved hearing the words from Yixing.

“I don’t expect you to do anything. I understand it’s a one night thing, you were down and we were both drunk. If you don’t want to, you don’t have to play any part in this. But I am just letting you know because you are the father.” Yixing rambles on, not knowing exactly what he is saying.

The fact is he loves Yifan. Ever since he steps into the house and sees Yifan for the first time he knows he’s a goner. For four years they stay in the same flat even when they have both graduated and found their own jobs and have more than enough money to move out, they still stick to this old apartment. Yifan because of familiarity and Yixing mainly because he just wants to be where Yifan is.

But now, things have gotten too complicated. They are friends and now there’s a baby… And maybe they can’t be friends anyone. Can friends each other and have babies?

“Xing…” Yifan’s voice breaks Yixing’s train of thoughts.

“Look, I mean, if you want to keep the baby then I am in it, okay? I am not abandoning you or my child. I know it’s not going to be easy and we are only friends but… We screwed up so we face it together, kay?”

Yixing can feel his eyes filling with tears and he tries to keep them at bay, “Thank you. This means a lot to me.”

Yifan scoops closer to the younger and brushes the tears away with his thumb, giving him a reassuring smile, “Whatever you need, I am here. You didn’t think I will just leave you alone, did you?”

“I… I don’t know. I am just so scared; this is such a big thing…”

“I know. I am scared too. But it’s all right. We have got each other, we will get through this.”

Something in Yifan’s voice gives Yixing faith that it is really going to be all right, and he cannot describe the immense relief he feels knowing that he is not going to be in this alone.

“I don’t even know how it happens. Didn’t you have enough experience with this to use a ?” Yixing mutters after a moment of silence.

“Hey hey. No putting the blame on me, we were both dead drunk.” Yifan says defensively,

Yixing sighs, “I am never drinking again if this is what I end up in.”

Yifan chuckles lightly, “It doesn’t matter now, Xing. We just have to deal with it. Together.”

That makes Yixing smiles.

--

The pregnancy certainly is not easy for Yixing. He spends most of his mornings sitting by the toilet bowl, puking his guts out. In the short two weeks he has lost five pounds thanks to the fact that he can barely keep anything down.

The doctor had said that this is normal for some people, he just have to keep eating and take his vitamins. It will go away in a month or two.

“I made you some tea.” Yifan says as Yixing drags himself out of the washroom for the second time this morning, “With extra milk. It’s supposed to keep nausea at bay.”

Yixing settles down onto the chair and takes a sip of the tea gratefully. The warm liquid washes down his throat and it feels surprisingly good.

“You sure you are able to go to work today?” Yifan asks, taking in Yixing’s pale complexion.

Yixing nods as he takes another sip, “I can’t skip work every other day. The work will only pile up.”

Yixing is a designer and an extremely talented one. He draws and builds models for people’s houses and he thoroughly enjoys his work.

“Just give me a call if there’s anything.”

True to his words, Yifan has been there for Yixing. He jumps at Yixing’s every sign of discomfort, ensuring that he eats enough, has enough rest and accompanies him to the doctor. Yixing is immensely grateful for all this but sometimes it hurts to know that beneath all of this… They are still just friends.

--

It did not occur to both Yifan and Yixing that they will have to break the news to people around them. They have been too consume with what is happening to think about others.

One Friday evening, Chanyeol and Baekhyun comes over to hang out and they notice that something is odd.

“Where’s Xing?” Chanyeol asks lazily as he stretches his long legs on the coffee table and slurps his second can of beer.

“He should be back soon. You know how he is when he is at work.” Yifan says, trying to hide his worries as he looks at the clock.

As if on cue, the sound of the keys can be heard and the door opens, revealing Yixing. His hair is slightly messy and the back of his shirt has come out but his hands are too full to do anything about them. Yixing struggles with the bags of material in his hands. There have been some last minutes changes needed and Yixing has no choice but to move all the stuff home to work on them over the weekends.

Yifan jumps up of his seat almost immediately and grabs the bags from Yixing hands.

“They are heavy.” He mutters and Yixing can hear the underlying words- They are heavy and he should not be carrying them in his condition. The doctor has warned them about strenuous exercise. But surely carrying a few bags of materials cannot be counted as strenuous exercise?

“Hi Xing.” Baekhyun greets as Chanyeol raises an eyebrow as Yifan’s odd gestures.

“Baekhyun, Chanyeol! It has been ages!” Yixing exclaims happily as he settles onto the sofa beside his buddies.

“Yeah, work has caught up with us.” Chanyeol deadpans as he opens a new can of beer and passes it to Yixing.

Before Yixing can say anything, Yifan has snatches the can away, ignoring the weird looks the two guys are shooting him.

“Have this instead.” He says as he places a glass of juice in Yixing’s hand instead.

Yixing shrugs as he takes a sip of the juice, “How was your trip, Baekhyun?”

“It’s awful. It’s all work, work, work. I barely had any time to breathe.” Baekhyun sighs as he recounts his awful trip to Spain for the article he is working on.

Baekhyun is a writer for a renowned magazine while Chanyeol slogs his life as a lawyer together with Yifan in the same company.

“Have some fruits,” Yifan interrupted their conversation as he passes Yixing a plate of freshly cut fruits, “I am sure you haven’t eaten dinner, I will whip up something for you.”

“What the hell is going on?” Chanyeol finally loses it and stares at the two flat mates, “Are you two together now or what?”

“What are you talking about?” Yifan asks, trying to stall time, knowing that the truth will be out soon.

“What’s with you carrying his stuff for him and all the juice and fruits? Are you two screwing or did Yixing contract something we are not aware of?”

Yixing sighs, knowing they can’t hide it any longer, “I am pregnant.”

Both their jaws drop.

“Who?” Baekhyun asks, feeling slightly betrayed that Yixing is seeing someone and he does not know about it.

“Me.” Yifan admits, a sheepish look on his face.

“So you two are screwing?” Chanyeol blurts out, a look of disbelief on his face.

“We are just friends, all right?” Yixing says, the truth hurting more when verbalized, “It’s a one night thing and we were drunk.”

Baekhyun looks like he cannot find the right words to say, “Drunk? How long?”

“Three months.”

“So you two are having a baby?”Chanyeol mutters, “As friends.”

“This is ing screwed up.”

As if Yixing needs any reminder about it.

Baekhyun gives the taller one a smack on his head, “Shut up Chanyeol. A baby is good news, no matter what. I am happy for you. You two. Congrats.”

“Thanks.” Yixing says, looking at Yifan who nods at him reassuringly, “It’s difficult but it will be all right.”

Somehow it feels like Yixing is talking to himself instead of Baekhyun.

--

This is going to be a short one, probably four or five chapters.