let it happen

Maps: A Love Story

 

Seohyun was grateful to the boy who shared the taxi with her. It was raining heavily, and they had both clamored for it from opposite ends with her just a few seconds too late, but he'd leaned over and opened her side door. They gave their respective addresses to the driver and finally settled into silence, where the only sound was of the rain battering against the windows and the roof overhead, and the occasional siren and car horns. Traffic was at a stand-still, headlights, streetlights, and store signs blurring into a wild splash of color.

 

He was hunched against the side of his window with his jacket hood pulled over his head, staring dully out the window, appearing to fight off sleep. Seohyun pulled the jacket tighter around her small frame, then extracted her notebook from her bag and began to review a list she had written earlier that morning, sometimes scribbling notes. She smiled a little, humming to the tune of a familiar song on the radio, hushed and reverberating in the closed space of the car.

 

The boy had turned his head toward her almost immediately, but he didn't say a word. Instead, he slouched further into the seat and closed his eyes, and she didn't miss the way his foot tapped to the rhythm of the song perfectly.

 

When the taxi rolled around in front of a building, he gathered his bearings, paid his share of the ride and bid the both of them goodbye.

 

It was the same building Yoona unnie would be dropped off at later in the evening, she noted with interest, but paid no more attention as she began to recite that day's English lessons.

 

 

NOTES ||

Sorry, I know it's short! I just have no clue if the starting point is something I like, or if the tone of the story fits. I might overhaul this later.