This Woman

It's All Black and White

“Yu Jin!”

 

Yu Jin didn’t want to open her eyes. Oblivion felt so nice... She pulled her arm up to tuck beneath her face, smiling at the soft velvet caressing her face and – velvet? She opened her eyes and lifted her head, looking down at her arms, which had suddenly become covered in black, elbow-length, velvet gloves. And not just her arms... looking down at her body, Yu Jin realized that her body was wrapped in some sort of wine red velvet. A floor length gown with a slit going up from her ankle, to mid-thigh. What was this?

 

Yu Jin sat up on the couch she’d been laying on – black high heels on her feet, she found – and ran her gloved hands over her body. How had she come to be in a velvet gown, and gloves? She’d been wearing jeans and a black coat, not... this. And this couch looked so outdated. Where could she—

 

She spotted herself in the mirror and screamed.

 

“Seen the time, have you? If you have enough time to scream, get out here already!” A gruff, accented voice yelled as a loud banging sounded on the door. “I’ve seen you do your makeup in two seconds. Get out of that dressing room already, woman!”

 

Dressing room. So Yu Jin was in a dressing room. That was...nice to know.

 

She turned back to the mirror, slowly, choking back a scream. Was that really her? That girl, in the mirror, with wavy, shoulder length hair, smoky eyes, and blood red lips?

 

The banging on her door didn’t cease. “Yu Jin! Jesus Christ, this woman. If you don’t get out here, I’m going to – “ The banging stopped when Yu Jin opened the door, looking frantically for the owner of the gruff voice, only to find herself looking down at a thick-set man in grey pinstripes. He was hardly as tall as her shoulder. She blinked at him curiously, and he returned her soft gaze with a scowl. “Don’t bat those pretty little eyelashes at me. They don’t work on me. Now get out on stage already.”

 

She found herself being grabbed and rather unceremoniously pushed into the hallway by the little man – much stronger than she thought he was – and had to lift the bottom of her skirt so as not to trip on it.

 

What did he mean, ‘stage’?

 

Before she could blink, Yu Jin found herself being blinded by stage lights shining up at her face. She covered her face for a moment and blinked; after getting used to the lights, she looked down at the crowd. It was a crowd full of people, mostly men, in small hats and pinstripe suits. They were all clean cut and smoking and – well, quite honestly, Yu Jin thought they all belonged in an old fashioned black and white movie. Maybe from the 30’s.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Kim Yu Jin, the most talented and beautiful singer 1940 has ever seen!”

 

1940? This must be some sort of extremely sick joke, Yu Jin thought to herself. There’s no way I’m in 1940…

 

Another glance down at the velvet gloves on her hands made her blanch. She really was in 1940, wasn’t she?