And What They Never Knew

What They Thought

“Hey.” That’s the only word that leaves Taemin’s mouth as he sees Kara approach him. There’s an air of silence between the two as Taemin continues to fix the books in his locker. When he finally finishes, she gives him an expectant look as if to say, you have some explaining to do. He, clearly dense, doesn’t seem to get it. It frustrates Kara even more when he puts on a smile and says, “What’s up?”

What’s up

It’s not like that response wasn’t good enough. It was a normal phrase shared between the two best friends on a regular basis.

“You’re partners with that girl?” What Kara was pertaining to was the upcoming school event. Taemin knew exactly who she was talking about.

“Yeah,” the smile on his face still evident, “why?”  There was silence once again. To Kara it seems like hours before she could respond. It was only really 2 seconds.

“Well then I have Orchestra practice, I’m going.” She took a step back and turned away but Taemin has grabbed her wrist. She looked back at him, trying to show as little emotion as possible.

“Hey, it’s progress!” What Taemin meant was that he had liked that girl for some time. That girl being, Son Naeun. It’s not like he even knew her, he just found her pretty. Kara knew exactly what he was talking about.

He lets go of her arm and brings up his pinky instead. What were they, children? “I’m going to tell you a secret but you have to promise me not to tell anyone.”

She gives him a ‘you’ve got to be kidding me’ look but Taemin just insists. She gives in and their pinkies lock. They move away from the approaching crowd. She waits.

“She confessed to me.” Kara was not surprised but she feels her chest tighten.

“When?” Taemin looked around to see if anyone was listening in. Fortunately, there was no one.

“Some time ago actually.” Kara was about leave again when Taemin grabbed her wrist for the second time, “but I rejected her. I’m only going with her as friends.”

The relief on her face clearly showed. What Taemin didn’t know was that she liked him (a lot). He was always there. He was her only confidant. She always found his actions endearing. Every time he'd get confused, she found him adorable. Who was she kidding, he was always adorable. And the way he would always tell her she's pretty, that would make her heart flutter. But then again, he says that about a lot of girls. What would make her so special? As far as she knew, he never liked her in that way, and never will.

“I have something else to tell you.” Taemin brings out his pinky again and this time, Kara doesn’t hesitate to lock hers with his. Pinkies drop.

“I like someone else.”

This time Kara couldn’t take it.

 “Okay now, I’m really going.”

This time Taemin didn’t try to hold her back.

He was confused as to why she would just walk away. What Kara didn’t know was that Taemin liked her back (and as much as she liked him). He was always in different relationships and going on about the girls he liked because he wanted to make her jealous. She was always there for him, yet indifferent. Every time he tried to hold her back, it was him trying to say "It's you I like, you pabo."  As far as he knew, she never liked him in that way, and never will.

***

The next day, they acted as if everything were normal.

“So,” Kara tried to be as cheerful as possible, “what’s the lucky girl’s name?”

That was it, all Taemin had to was say ‘Kim Kara. It’s you. I like you.’

But it never came out.

“To be honest I would tell you but-”

“But?”

“I don’t even know her name.”

And so they never knew how the other felt.

Let's just say they never knew the name of the "lucky girl" either.