Frozen Summer

One Shot to the Heart (ON HOLD)

Frozen Summer

Genre: Angst

 

 

This is the city he loved. A place fill with warmth and happiness. He never been through tough problems in his life. This is the place where he grew up. His memories never left this place. Everything here is peaceful. Every morning the air is filled with the song of harmony.


 

This is the place he remember.


 

Most importantly, he fall in love in this city. With the one, that he loves. They meet during his college days. It’s love in first sight. He first thought she is just a crush, a flame of sudden fire. They both thought their affection for each other will die fast.


 

But it didn’t the flame never die out, it only grew stronger. A burning fire. They got married. Soon into the newlywed, they had a child, a little boy. They live in a small house in the city. Both of them were happy and always fill with joy. It is a picture of a perfect family.


 

It’s the atmosphere he would refuse to break.


 

It seems like they can be like this forever and ever.


 

He lives in a happy ever after story tale.


Waking up in morning, he turn to his wife, Yoona. His finger gently move the piece of hair covering her pale face. Her eyebrow moved then she lift up her eyelids. The long lashes follows. No matter how many time he had seen her wake up, she always looks so beautiful. A light smile formed on her face.


 

“Good morning.” Her husband return with a smile.


 

“Morning, Donghae.” The words slip out her lips softly. Then she move closer to him and bear her head under his chin. Donghae love the smell of her hair, the soft and rich smell of roses. He planted a kiss her head and embraced her tightly.


 

She is the love of his life.


 

His life.


 

They woke up to a little boy’s call. Donghae slide off the bed and Yoona followed. A younger’s tiny voice calling for his daddy. Donghae run his hand through his hair and walked down the stairs. Yoona follow closely behind.


 

“Morning, Jinmin.” Donghae pick up his little boy and asked if anything is wrong. Jinmin shaked his head innocently, then he greeted his father with a good morning.  Donghae saw Yoona’s face waiting for her son to greet her with a bright smile.


 

Then there is a long pause, the house sunk in silence.  Donghae turn to his son with a dissatisfactions. “Greet your mother, Jinmin.”


 

Jinmin blinked a fews times and scans his eyes around the room, but did not make eye contact with Yoona. Then he wiggle out of Donghae’s arm and ran back to his toys.


 

“Hey! Jinmin that is rude to…”


 

“It’s alright. Donghae.” Yoona’s eyes filled with solemn and disappointment. Donghae walked up to her, who is still standing on the stairs and gave her a light kiss.


 

She smiled warmly.


 

On the day off, they have time to go on a date with a nanny in the house. They got ready and step out the house.


 

When the nanny enter the place, Donghae greet her politely. However, the only expression on her face is hollow sadness. Those eyes pitying him.


 

He don’t understand those looks. He has a perfect life and a wonderful family. What is so bad about him make him receive such looks. The nanny nodded as Donghae and his wife exist the house.


 

The nanny didn’t greet Yoona or make any eye contact with her. Donghae ignore the rudeness knowing that one can have a bad day too.


 

As they walked on the street, Donghae excitingly talking Yoona. They locked their fingers together and walked side by side. Yoona had became very quiet. When Donghae asked her what is wrong, her answer is away “I am fine. Donghae.”


 

They headed in the movie theater for the movie, The Vow. Donghae remember how much she had loved that movie. As the movie begin, Donghae found their seat. When they walk towards the roll, a guy pass by Yoona without a word and cut into her line. Donghae push the guy on the shoulder.


 

The guy turn around and gave him a look. “We are on a line right here. Can’t you see?”


 

“Gosh, then walk a little closer how do I know.” The guy reply rudely. Donghae wants to attack back, but Yoona pull his sleeves and shake his head. Donghae let the guy slide.


 

But never once, he apologize to Yoona or had any eye contact.

 

 


Yoona walked out the movie threaten with tears washing her face. Her right hand wiping her tears and the left holding Donghae’s hand. Donghae keeps tell her that is just a movie.


 

She then reply, “Sometimes life is a movie. I cried because I felt understand and connect with the characters.”


 

“Ok.” Donghae sigh and pull her into an embrace, until she stop the tears falling from her eyes. They walked around the theater and enter the stuff animal shop they go to all the time.  


 

Donghae remember that they always come here, every time they walk by. Even when Yoona was pregnant with Jinmin, the owner recognize them very well. Yoona run up to the white stuff bear in front of the store.


 

“Remember this?” She turn around and point at the fluffy bear.  Donghae nodded remembering the first date they went on. He brought a huge white bear and waiting for her.  Yoona knows that he is worth to spend her time with.


 

They entered the store. Yoona is super excited. He can see the light in her eyes and delighted smile on her face. Yoona is still like a little girl even when she became a mother.


 

She walked pass the owner, who is on her phone. Donghae walk pass and greet the owner. The owner looked up with a smile, “Good afternoon, sir. Coming again to buy your son present?”


 

“No. I am with my wife.” Donghae answered and looked at Yoona.


 

The owner raised her eyebrow on Donghae and gave him a confused look. Then she look at the direction that Donghae is staring at. She then seems to understand something and nodded.


 

“She is here with you.” The owner gave a solemn smile. Donghae didn’t understand the expression on her face, but he didn’t ask any farther.


 

She is always here with you.


 



 

The night slowly takes over the daylight as they spent their time walking around the park near their house. Jinmin is playing in the playground while the nanny watches him. Donghae and Yoona went for a walk in the park.


 

This is the place where he had lived in for his whole life. The park is really familiar to him. Yoona lead him to the tree where they had carved their name on a wooden bench.


 

This is the place where he first talk to Yoona.


 

This is the place where he ask her out.


 

This is the place where he proposed.


 

They sat down on the bench and holding each other’s hand. Donghae stare at the stars that out shine the dimming sun. A cool wind blow against his shirt.


 

Yoona lean in and planted a kiss on his lips. The softness lingers and he responds back.


 

She then pull away. Her face cover in tears just like when she walked out that movie theater.


 

“I think I have enough time.” Yoona smile with a solemn expression.


 

“What you do you mean?”


 

A jogger run by and stared at Donghae. Then a couple walked by and gave him a look then they speed up.

“Take good care of Jinmin. I love you. Donghae.” Yoona smooth his face with her hand.


 

She stood up and start walking the other way. Donghae suddenly jumped up still in shock. His eyes fill with confusion not knowing what had happened.


 

He took a soft step with his arm extend to reach her. Then he paused, something light up in his memories. The picture of him holding Jinmin appear at the back of his head. Yoona is not there.


 

Donghae stare at the blank ground. His eyes turn hollow and soulless.


 

“Yoona.” He move his lips, but the words can’t be heard. “Yoona.” He called again a little louder than before.


 

“Yoona.” He pick up his feet. He pick up his steps. Then he realize he had started to run after Yoona. “Yoona!”


 

Yoona turn around with her head tilt to the side and a beautiful smile on her face. He stretched his arm to embrace her.


 

As soon as he get closer, Yoona vanished. Like a fogs, she is blow away by the wind. Donghae drop to the ground with his eyes wide open staring at the ground.


 

Tears flow up his eyes, blurred up his vision. Each drop hit the ground one by one.


 

He finally realized. Yoona had passed away. She was gone. This is the city he hate.


 

He hated so much. He chose to frozen his memories. Through the whole time, he had neglected his own son. The lost of his loving wife felt like a strike from a bulldozer.


 

“I am always with you.” Her voice echo near his ears.


 

Come back to reality.


 

“Daddy.” A tiny voice called for him. An outline of a little guy walking towards him. The direction where Yoona walked away. The sun shines the outline of his tiny body. The little boy started running. When he reach his daddy, he gave him a hug.


 

His little hand smoothing out Donghae’s hair. Donghae hug his son and crying in his son’s embrace.


 

“Daddy, I want to go home.”


 

“Let’s go home.” Donghae stood up holding his son’s hand and walk towards their house.


 

“Daddy?” His son called.


 

“Yes.” Donghae wipe the tears off his face.


 

“You miss mommy?” The little voice asked. Donghae look at Jinmin and nodded slowly as more tears flood down his face again.


 

“It’s ok. She is with us.” The boy comfort his dad.


 

“Mommy is always with us.”



~End~