||||

She's A Keeper

 

 

 

The bathroom mirror displayed smudges along the bevelled right edge. Only one person shared my home with me-my handsome and charming seobang of just two months.

 

“Seobang, I want you to come here right now. I have something to show you.”

 

 

 

When I was twenty-six, this seemingly perfect woman danced into my life. As a health care administrator, I was expected to attend the semi-annual management gatherings at the luxurious hotel Peobody Hotel.

 

That spring night, I met her. My precious seobang. She was glued on her chair while shuffling nervously alone. Maybe because of her nervousness or her…I don’t know, I just felt attracted to her; I bravely asked her to dance with me. With shaking hands she accept my invitation. While we dance slowly, swaying our bodies with the slow jazz rhythm I asked her why she looked so nervous before.

 

“Actually, this is my first time come to big event. I just get appointed as the manager one month ago.” The sun-kissed girl or more preferred to be called Kwon Yuri answered with a chuckled.

 

The night passed quickly as Yuri and I danced every number until the band packed up. By the time, the songs ended we know about ourselves briefly.

 

“That was fun, thanks.” I told Yuri, gasping for cold air and appropriate words.

 

“I hope to see you again, Jessica.” She bowed before walked away.

 

I want to stop her but I abruptly stopped my action. I don’t want to look I’m interested in her THAT much even I do… ‘But how she going to contact me? She doesn’t even have my number…’

 

Maybe fate are being played, I bumped Yuri at my work place when she was going out from meeting hall.

 

“Y-Yuri?”

 

Not like at gathering, she gave me a calm smiled before walked closer to me, “Hi Jessica. We met again.”

 

Not actually fate, Yuri knew it. All along. She knew where I worked and wanted to act like she met me at my work place accidently. She told me the night we got married actually.

 

 

 

After a few days, Yuri invited me for our first official date. After almost two years of courtship, I married my own Kwon Yuri; Kwon Seobang.

 

 

Now back to problem…

 

 

 

As the only daughter in our family, I had grown up with my own room, my own clothes, my own phone and later my own car, my own apartment, my own everything.

 

Now married, I had to share everything. The simplest daily happenings that broke with my personal routines caused me frustration at home. However, Yuri patiently embraced my idiosyncrasies with gentleness and compassion. She mostly accepted whatever came her way with an easy-going personality. Repeatedly, she calmed any stress I created in our new home.

 

Now, there were two of us. Admittedly Yuri was neat but less obsessed with order. How could marriage change my environment so quickly? Why did I found socks under the bed and her Ma blender in sink? Before marriage, my mirrors stayed clear and shiny. Now I found smudges on the bathroom mirror, only minutes after the cleaning service performed its magic.

 

“Seobang, I have something to show you.” I repeated. Yuri released the TV remote controller and ambled into the bathroom.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you see this mirror?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Do you see fingerprints all over this clean mirror?” Yuri came closer to inspect the mirror from several angles.

 

“Yes.” She answered after few moments later.

 

“Do you know whose fingerprints those are?” Again she leaned over to peer at the smudges.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well, whose fingerprints are all over this ‘clean’ mirror?” I emphasized ‘clean’ word. She paused and looked straight into my soul.

 

“Baby, those are fingerprints of the seobang who loves you.”

 

I stood speechless for a few seconds. All resentments melted as I gazed into her kind brown eyes. This was the woman who had chosen to marry a fussy ice princess, lazy, demanding, and hard to coping with new situation. She was the woman who loves me.

 

Yuri reached for a towel to clean the mirror, but my hand stopped her. “And what beautiful fingerprints they are.” I responded.

 

“I just love those fingerprints-and the seobang who made them.”

 

Yes, being married meant I had to share, and yes, there would be cleaner. The house would not stay systemized, nor would be more clean. But this woman loved and accepted me just like I was.

 

Now I had her ‘unique’ fingerprints on my mirror, a testimony to the fact that I had married ‘the one’ and would not be alone any more. Everyone was right, marriage meant trade-offs, but for me, Yuri is a keeper.

 

 

 

Enjoy another shot before I missing again.

See you when I see you, toodles!

*hide behind books AGAIN!*

-Endaiyy