[Prologue] 20 Years Later

시간에 멈춘 남자

hello, guys! not expecting to find me updating this? don't worry, i'm still working on it along with my other christmas project: Endlessly Sweet. you might want to check it out^^

i'm working really hard so i can release them on time. until then, please give me some supports and feedbacks? :3


 

Kris watches Chanyeol, the adult version of Chanyeol play with his son in the backyard of his humble house. He is currently teaching his 4 year old baby boy to play soccer, although Kris knows better that it was him who taught his childhood friend at the first place. Chanyeol catches the ball his son kicked and laughs, making Kris smiles at the scene.

“What are you watching, Kris?” a boy not bigger than his thumb flies into his peripheral vision, shiny dust from his wings flutters about in the air. The fairy looks at the mirror and nods, “Ah, I should’ve known earlier.”

“I miss him, Baekhyun-ah,” Kris pouts and folds his arms in front of his chest. Baekhyun coos at his cutesy and the bigger one pouts even more. “Can I go there? Please?”

It’s Baekhyun’s turn to scowl. “You promised you wouldn’t ask me again to assist you to go there if I gave you this magic mirror. So no, Kris.”

“But it’s been a very looooong time,” Kris whines. “I really really really really miss him! He is my best friend, Baekhyun-ah, I want to see him in flesh again. So please?”

Just before Baekhyun can utter another rejection, 5 kids burst into Kris’ bedroom and attack the bed. Baekhyun flies further before his tiny body gets squeezed by Kris’ friends. “Kris kris kris let’s play! The weather is so nice today!” a short boy with chubby cheeks, Xiumin, pats Kris’ thighs before drifting his attention to the mirror just across Kris’ bed. “Hey! Isn’t that Chanyeol? Where did you get that mirror from?”

“Baekhyun got me one after Chanyeol got back to the Earth just so I won’t feel lonely again,” Kris smirks.

“I want one, too! I want to see my brother!” Chen, the one with sharp jaws and soft brown hair, protests.

“The mirror is one of a kind and I only gave it to Kris,” Baekhyun sticks out his tongue and wiggles his tiny , sprinkling more dust in the process.

“It’s useless, Chen gege, Baekhyun only favors Kris gege,” Tao, the youngest boy in the group, hugs Chen’s shoulder and leans his head onto it. Chen hugs him back and fakes sob.

“But Chanyeol has grown up a lot,” Lay, a soft spoken kid with dimples, watches Chanyeol in the mirror. “I miss him.”

“If not for his Dumbo ears, I wouldn’t recognize him!” Luhan, a bright kid with blonde fluffy hair, beams. “I miss him so so much! Baekhyun-ah, can he visit Neverland again? I want to show him that I can play jegichagi* now!”

Soon Baekhyun is attacked with a series of whines and aegyo which makes him explode. “No, no! Once he left, he cannot come back again! So no!!” The children scramble away and dash out of the room, leaving the fuming fairy with Kris. Baekhyun softens his expression and shakes his head softly, “No, Kris. He’s an adult now, I can’t.”

“Why can’t you?”

“Look, Yifan,” Baekhyun lands on Kris’ lap and sits in Indian style, looking up to the boy with serious face. “Neverland is only for kids. Chanyeol could come here before because he came with you; with Luhan, Minseok, Yixing, Jongdae, and also Zitao, because he was at the same age as you. But then he wanted to come back to the Earth, and he’s all grown up, he’s now an adult already. He’s not my responsibility anymore. Later, another fairy will take him to another place and it won’t be Neverland. Do you understand now?”

Kris nods and tucks his chin to the chest. A few seconds later, tears roll down his cheeks and he sobs lowly. Baekhyun immediately flies to his face and wipes his tears with his tiny hands. Baekhyun doesn’t like what he sees; Kris is the leader in his peers, the captain on his pirate ship and he never cried although he is just a 12 year old boy because big boys don’t cry. The first and last time he cried was when Chanyeol went back to Earth; after that, he never shred tears ever again.

“Sorry,” Kris chokes up and grins widely, although his face is still drenched of his tears. “It’s just— Chanyeol— I just wanna see him—”

Baekhyun sighs, “Do you really miss him, Kris?”

 

 

 

 *

 

 

 

Pushing the door with his shoulder, Chanyeol silently goes into the room with his sleeping son in his arms. Today was fun, with him playing with his son and teaching him how to kick the ball correctly; both of them eventually got tired by the end of the day. He cradles the child and places him on the bed; he and Kyungsoo keep the baby curb because Sehun is still considerably small for a 4 year old kid and they are afraid their son would fall in his sleep. He tucks the comforter on Sehun and kisses his small forehead, “Good night, Sehun.”

“So cute! How old is he?”

Chanyeol jumps, startled by the completely unfamiliar voice. He looks around his son’s room and finds someone sitting on the balcony railing; the stranger’s legs don’t reach the balcony floor and he swings them back and forth like a kid in the swimming pool. The stranger’s face isn’t really clear since there are doors separating the balcony and the room, so he pads his way to swing open the doors; his breath hitches at the sight of Kris, cocking his head to the side with a big, pure smile attached on his handsome face.

“Yifan gege,” Chanyeol exhales his name after holding his breath for a full minute. He takes his step toward his childhood friend hesitantly, although the grin on his face cannot hide the excitement upon seeing his friend once again. “Why— what are you doing here?”

“I cannot visit my best friend?” Kris feigns hurt, but quickly chuckles when he sees Chanyeol panic. Although he’s now a 30 year old grown-up guy, he still looks no older than him, Kris thinks. “Baekhyun allowed me to come here.”

“Yeah, he was a handful when he cried,” a voice comes out of nowhere and Chanyeol looks around to find the source, only to see it sitting on Kris’ shoulder all along. Chanyeol finally walks closer to the two and pulls out his hand to reach the tiny fairy; he cheers when Baekhyun hops on his palm and nuzzles his nose onto Baekhyun’s cowlick hair. “You know, he wailed like a baby to me, ‘I miss Chanyeol, I wanna see Chanyeol’ and begged me to bring him here.”

“What, Yifan ge cried?” Chanyeol stares at his friend with playful judging glare. “I thought you said big boys don’t cry.”

“Why do you still remember what I said years ago?” Kris looks away with burning cheeks, which makes both Chanyeol and Baekhyun laugh. “A-actually,” Kris clears out his throat to get his friend’s attention. “Yeah, I missed you.”

Chanyeol coos, “I missed you too, gege,” Chanyeol joins the younger sit on the railing although his legs can reach the floor unlike Kris, and flings his arms around his friend. “You have no idea. I really wanted to see you but I didn’t know how. How are the others doing?”

“I came here to bring you back to the Neverland,” Kris hops off the railing to the floor and spreads out his arms. “We are all missing you! Do you remember our pirate ship? It has changed, you should see it by yourself!”

“Um,” he looks between Kris and Baekhyun. “Baekhyun-ah, can I?” He still remembers what the fairy told him before he left Neverland for the Earth that he couldn’t go back ever again; he cannot lie that he feels excited to meet his friends once more.

“You actually cannot,” Baekhyun sighs. “But that captain—” he points at Kris’ direction with his chin. “—insisted that you should come to meet the other kids but you’re a grown up man now and Neverland isn’t a place for adults, so I have figured out another way.”

“Baekhyun is the best!” Kris takes Baekhyun from Chanyeol’s hand and plants slobbery kisses all over the fairy’s face. Chanyeol laughs at the scene because even after 20 years, some things don’t change a bit.

“Are you ready, Chanyeol?” Baekhyun flies about in front of the adult, serious expression etched on his face although his eyes soften. “The process might hurt for you, but I can guarantee nothing because I haven’t performed it to anyone before. Do you still want to go?”

Chanyeol reminisces his days in Neverland before; when he played with the clouds, in the ship he and his friends built together with a lot of magic help from Baekhyun, and his days were spent with Luhan, Minseok, Yixing, Jongdae, and Zitao. He misses them, a lot more than he had imagined, and soon he finds himself nod.

Baekhyun nods along with him, acknowledging his determination. “Okay, now close your eyes.”

Chanyeol does as told and instead of darkness he sees, white light engulfs his vision. His shoulders feel lighter and he feels peace, before the light is suddenly taken over by the pitch black darkness.

 


*jegichagi: a traditional Korean game