A Whole New Beginning

A Whole New Beginning - One Shot

"Oh my god. What did I just do?"

I did an awkward dance, unable to believe my own actions. All the noise around me was just blocked out and I was in my own world. I had to control my emotions, but I could feel a huge smile forming on my face and my facial muscles just were not cooperating with me today. I was frustrated, yet happy. I finally did what I had wanted to do for such a long time. I could feel my whole face turning red hot. When I felt Jaesuk direct the cameras to me, I said all that came to my mind, "Don't talk to me..."


 

All these madness started from over 6 months ago.

 

Monday, January 2013

We were filming for another episode of Running Man. By that day, it was more than a year since Jihyo had dated her CEO and I had already gotten use to controlling my emotions for Jihyo. I tried to keep things professional, even though Jihyo and I had promised our fans to bring more Monday Couple moments to them, it was truly for the fans and for variety's sake. When saying cheesy lines to Jihyo, it always felt as if we were back to the old times again, and I enjoyed it very much. But reality always slaps me back in the face after that and I have to be careful not to cross the line, for fear of angering Jihyo's fans who wish her and her boyfriend well and of course her boyfriend.

The PD had asked us to act as fools from the start of the episode and I was paired with Haha to wait for the guest to come pick us up. Well, when I am with Haha,  I just have to act like I normally do with him. Although he is already a married man, he still fools around like a kid. That's why i had always loved hanging out with this guy, he makes me forget about all the troubles I have, be it with song writing, work, or Jihyo. While we were fooling around, I saw a familiar figure walking towards us. I knew who it was from afar, I could always recognise her. It was going to be yet another day of battling with my inner self while filming...

Fast forward through the day and we were at our second challenge at Itaewon. The PD had asked Jongkook, Kwangsoo and I to head to the American restaurant. At first I thought nothing of it. Until UEE read out the mission. PEPERO GAME?! My heart started thumping and I could almost feel it coming out of my chest. WHY, WHY, WHY. Why would the PDs want to do something so cruel to me? Sure it would gain a lot of attention and views, but I had tried so hard to stop all these feelings for Jihyo and this happens. As Jongkook and I watched Kwangsoo and UEE do the mission, all I could think of was how to explain it to Jihyo later and how we were ever going to complete the mission.

Then Jihyo came in through the door looking a little dejected. When the PDs told her we were going to play the pepero game, I could she the amount of shock on her face. Not a good start. When it was our turn, I tried to cover my nervousness by asking her if she was going to close her eyes or tilt her head. Jihyo, the cast and the crew all laughed, but I could only manage and nervous smile. As I bit the end of the pepero stick, my mind was filled with a whirlwind of thoughts.

"Finish the mission in one shot. Just do it in one try, if not, things are going to get more awkward.... Its only a mission, she is only doing this because she has to, don't think of anything else Gary."

As I bit more and more of the pepero stick, I could slowly feel Jihyo's breathing on my cheeks. All the efforts i had of trying to distance myself from her all crumbled down into nothing but rubble. Subconsciously, I wrapped my hands around her head, then she snapped back. 

"What have you done to your friend who is already attached! Now she feels repulsed by you," I thought to myself as I tried to explain that the action was just to steady myself.

After sitting back on our seats, Jihyo didn't talk or look at me. Everything felt like it went back to how it was a year ago. When Monday Couple just split up and we were alone in the car for a couple race. We were awkward with each other once again.

I tried to break the silence, "Mianhae, Jihyo yah. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. Just bear with me for the next try and we will get it over with, so we don't have to do it again alright?"

She nodded her head but didn't say a word.

Our turn came again and I readied myself for the last try. I inched forward, feeling her warmth as I proceeded. While my mind was in a whirlwind, I was abolutely determined to complete the mission this time. When it came down to the last 2cm or so, it was like a warzone in my mind. Should I take another bite and risk our lips touching, or should I just stop here and pray for the best? Argh. I didn't want to have another awkward sit with Jihyo back at the table to watch Kwangsoo and UEE attempt their 3rd try...

"Oh screw this." 

And I took another bite of the pepero stick and our lips touched. My heart froze for half a second and I pulled myself away from her. Surely I can't be imagining things as Jihyo looked like she blushed. Oh no this can't be happening. I knew I had to make her laugh to ease the awkwardness between us when we found out that we passed the mission. 

"We'd like to try to go for 7mm!"

While it was only a pure innocent game and our lips barely touched each other, it was like the floodgate opened and all my feelings for her poured out into my heart and filled it once again. Frustrated with myself, I heaved a big sigh as Jihyo and I walked to the Thai restaurant to complete more missions. Jihyo must have heard it because she asked me if I was alright. I lied to her that i was just tired and being the Mong Ji that she is, she did not suspect anything and offered me a bottle of water.

After getting home from the end of filming, I sat on the edge of my bed after a refreshing bath. I couldn't stop my mind from wandering back to the moment where our lips touched. Even as i recalled it in my head, my heart would swell. Then I thought of how Jihyo felt. 

"She must be feeling really bad. Maybe this entire Monday Couple thing should stop. I mean, it would eventually have to stop one day and since she already has a boyfriend who loves her so much..." All I wanted was for Jihyo to be able to feel at ease. I picked up my phone and texted Jihyo.

To: Mong Ji

Are you sure you are alright with all this?

 

I threw myself onto the bed and awaited her reply.

 

From: Mong Ji

Alright with what, oppa?

 

To: Mong Ji

With Monday Couple being like this. Are you sure you are okay? Cause if you are not, we can always tell the PD to stop. Don't worry about oppa, I will be fine. I'm more worried about your relationship.

 

From: Mong Ji

Actually, oppa, Chang Joo oppa and I broke up almost a month ago. We just felt that something was missing and we have yet to announce it because of my filming and the time is not right yet... Mianhae for not telling you and the rest of running man.

 

Initially after reading the text, I was shocked. But then, it all made sense to me. Jihyo had been smiling a lot less since December last year and I always thought it was because of her tight schedule and she was feeling exhausted from running from location to location. Damn, I should have noticed it and consoled her.

I dialled her number.

"Yoboseyo," Jihyo greeted me gently from the other end.

"Mianhae Jihyo yah. I should have noticed that you weren't the way you usually were. It must have been hard for you to go through all of that alone. Mianhae, oppa wasn't able to be there when you needed me the most."

"Kenchana oppa. I'm fine now, aren't I. Don't forget, I'm Ace Jihyo, nothing can get me down," she laughed as she said. But I could sense the emptiness in that laughter. She was definitely not totally fine. Jihyo might be our Ace, she might be a strong, but nevertheless, she is still a girl who needs care and concern.

"You know that oppa and the rest of running man will be here for you if you ever need us alright. You can always talk to me." I tried reassuring her.

And with that, we talked all the way to 2am, until I suggested that she should sleep so that she would have enough energy for filming the next day. As I laid back on my bed and stared at the ceiling, I smiled to myself, it felt good to know that we could still talk for hours on end and that our friendship was still strong.


 

Since that day, Jihyo and I started becoming close again. During Running Man filming, we were more at ease with each other and many a times, she would come to my restaurant and have a meal with me, or we would have late night supper together after filming Running Man. And I guess the cast also seemed to have an inkling of what's going on. Haha teased me about it. But I told him I have yet to confess to her. Especially since it was still not long after her previous breakup. Jaesuk hyung also approached me about it. 

"At first I was really afraid that this loveline would do you in, because you fell so deep. But since Jihyo is single now, do your best. I'm rooting for you. You two look absolutely adorable together." He said as he patted my shoulder. All I could do was smile and bow and thank him.

Because of that, Jaesuk hyung and Haha have started teasing us on Running Man set again. I was happy, because it felt like we went back to the old times. When we were purely Monday Couple and it was us against the world. Except now, it was coming true in real life too...


 

 We were filming for the opening of a new episode of Running Man. And we were all asked to dress formally for the opening, and Jihyo was nowhere to be found. They introduce the 3 Big Bang members joining us today. And while I was happy to have G-Dragon and Jaesuk hyung on my team, I was mostly wondering about where Jihyo was. I even passed her a cup of Americano before the start of filming but she was nowhere to be found. Then my attention was directed to the white horse-drawn carriage arriving at the scene. When she stepped out of the carriage, wow. She looked ever so gorgeous and it seemed as though there was a spotlight shining on her. Her beauty charmed me yet again. She stood next to me and I told her that she looked prettier than ever. She smiled.

The PD announced that there was to be a dance off to determine who gets to ride in the nice luxury car. While I didn't want to sit in the steaming hot car without air conditioning, I wanted to sit in a car with Jihyo even more. I just would not be able to get enough of her, if she were to look so gorgeous today. My team kicked it off and we did a wave dance around Jihyo. It was embarrassing for us, but I guess more embarrassing for Jihyo, as she was just laughing throughout the dance. Then came Jongkook hyung's team and he scooped her up with his strength and well that must have made her feel like a princess because she decided to give them the first place. While it was all fun, our team wanted a second chance and I knew I had to top Jongkook's princess-carry to win her heart.

We walked towards her step by step to the beat. As I walked towards Jihyo, my eyes were fixated on her and I gave her a smile. I was just dancing next to her, when she turned up to look at me. That moment, our eyes interlocked. There was an indescribable feeling. My body just moved by itself after that. My hand reached out for her face and while it was just a few seconds, it felt like our eyes met for minutes. And unknowingly, I ended up giving her a kiss on her cheek.

 

"Oh my god. What did I just do?"

I did an awkward dance, unable to believe my own actions. All the noise around me was just blocked out and I was in my own world. I had to control my emotions, but I could feel a huge smile forming on my face and my facial muscles just were not cooperating with me today. I was frustrated, yet happy. I finally did what I had wanted to do for such a long time. I could feel my whole face turning red hot. When I felt Jaesuk direct the cameras to me, I said all that came to my mind, "Don't talk to me..."

Jihyo was definitely surprised. It was written all over her face. I was slightly worried that she would be angry, but she smiled as she talked and when she felt her cheeks and smiled while saying "Kang Gary~" my heart burst. I had always loved the way she called my name. Coupled with the white dress and wide smile on her face, highlighting her beauty and charm, I knew she was the only one for me.

This was going to be the start of a whole new beginning. The start of us, not just Monday, but the Everyday Couple. <3


 

Thank you for reading! I really hope you liked it! Enjoy your day! :)

Running Man Fighting! Monday Couple Fighting! <3