Chapter one

So wrong; So right.

"Ahjusshi, that’s her right there.” Donghae pointed out a lady waiting by the curb. The cab driver put on the hazard lights and stopped by road; meanwhile donghae alighted from the taxi and opened the boot of the car, revealing his black small luggage.

 

“Baby, help me with this luggage, I’m in heels,” the lady called out to Hae who was already planning to help her even without her asking.

 

“You permed your hair, Jae Min? You look pretty today.” Donghae said to her while lifting her luggage up. He had missed it when Jae Min briefly glanced at him. As much as she tried to hide her feelings, her eyes betrayed the sadness that she felt.

 

“Hae-ah… I know we haven’t met up in a month… but I permed my hair 3 weeks ago and I even put the photos on facebook… you didn’t see?”

 

Donghae felt a wave of guilt overwhelming him immediately. “I-I was busy these weeks at work, I’m sorry baby.” Donghae looked at her properly for the first time in a month. He noticed that apart from the new curls on her tresses, his girlfriend even had on a pair of new heels and perhaps even the lipstick colour she was wearing was an unfamiliar one for him. He felt bad that as her boyfriend, he had failed to notice such details at all.

 

Jaemin shook her head indicating that she’s alright, but her eyes couldn’t hide how she really felt. A guilty Donghae followed her as she boarded the cab.

 

“Ahjusshi, the airport please,” Donghae said as he closed the door. Once seated, Jae Min’s hand reached for Donghae’s. Even though they were boy-girlfriends, Donghae was startled by her action and drew his hand away slightly. Noticing this, Jae Min shifted slightly away from him, putting some distance in between them. The atmosphere in the cab got so awkward even the Ahjusshi could feel it.

 

“So… Min-ah, how was the past month?” Donghae asked, attempting to lift the atmosphere.

 

Jae Min started telling her boyfriend the happenings in the last month they haven’t met up. About her new boss at work, her ill dog and how she’s missed him the past month. Donghae wasn’t really paying attention; he nodded his head absent-mindedly at the correct moments as he watched Seoul pass him by in the cab. His head was full of thoughts, of him and Jae Min… or more specifically, of what had gone wrong between him and Jae Min that things got this bad.

 

Seven years… We have been together for 7 years already. Why was it so strained between us these days?

 

He racked his brain, thinking hard.

 

I was sincere when I said I’m sorry earlier on. But when I called her baby… it just didn’t feel right. Not any more.

 

The truth is nothing had happened. Absolutely nothing. Have I really just grown tired of her…?

 

“Baby? Hae? Hae?” Jae Min nudged Donghae when he failed to respond.

 

“Yes Min?”

 

“What do you think?”

 

“Huh? What do I think of what?”

 

“…I was telling you about Spotty… He seems pretty sickly, should I bring him to the vet?”

 

“O-oh, uh up to you?” Donghae offered.

 

“Oh… right. Never mind then. How was your month?”

 

“It was okay, the usual.”

 

“That’s all…?” Jae Min cocked her eyebrow at him. “After one month of not seeing each other, all you can tell me is it was okay…?

 

“I..I..” Donghae began to stutter, finding words but realized that he really could not bring himself to have a conversation with her.

 

“It’s alright then. I’m tired, please wake me up when we’re at the airport.” With that, an awkward silence ensued. Jae Min put on her sunglasses and closed her eyes, holding back the tears that threatened to fall out of her eyes.

 

Seven years… seven years of relationship and memories but look where we are now. Donghae can’t even find the words to talk to me. The past month, he only called when I told him to. I love him so much and I’ve missed him, missed us so badly. This ing hurts. I know exactly where our relationship is heading towards… I gotta make everything right this trip, I have to. I love him too ing much to let us go just like that.