Distance

12 Breaths Per Minute; [Multiple ONESHOTS]

Round nerdy glasses, checkered long sleeves shirt, a short haircut and the habit of lips puckering.  

He was just a normal student, too normal for anyone to take note of, especially not with those glasses.

Hair tied into a bun, one-piece jumpsuit overall, a pair of rain boots and the habit of tongue clicking.

She was the unapproachable girl, too weird and intimidating, especially with that unique sense of fashion.

 

______________________________________

 

They’ve never met. In fact they didn’t know they had. They live in the same neighbourhood, walk the same route home, take the same bus to school and visit the same bookstore and neither bothered with each other’s existence, not even when they were actually in the same class. They have walked past each other many of times, yet their eyes never once met.

 

______________________________________

 

He sits in front, listens attentively, eyes on the blackboard, constantly taking notes without time to think about anything else.

She sits at the back, falls asleep often, eyes wandered anywhere but the blackboard, the scenery outside always seemed more interesting.

The teacher digressed a little this day, much to everyone’s surprise. Instead he had a question for everyone; in the prime age of finding and falling in love

 

He frowned. He knew nothing about love. He didn’t even know the right way to confess or if he could even do it.

‘I’m sorry, you’re just not my type. Not with that pair of stupid glasses.’

He remembered, the girl whom he confessed to said, and stared at his notes.

She turned her head back to the teacher. She didn’t care about love. She thinks that boys are all the same, saying this yet doing that.

‘She’s just a friend.’

She remembered, the boy who wore the shirt she bought to another date, and rolled her eyes.

 

‘You,’ the teacher called suddenly, a finger pointing in his direction, ‘what do you think about a girl who will do anything for you?’

His eyes widened in surprise. He didn’t know what to answer neither did he know how. Timidly, he stood up feeling the pressure of eyes on his slightly slouched back.

‘I… I…’ He stuttered but the teacher pushed him on, yet in the background the other students laughed. He squeezed his eyes shut, took a deep breath and raised his head.

‘I… I… all… ALL the girls are the same. They will never do anything for you. They wouldn’t even take a second look at you. Not when you’re like me. Nobody, but a nerd.’

The class went silent and his head hung low again.

‘What the hell is wrong with him?’ A few girls whispered.

The teacher laughed awkwardly and cleared his throat. But he’d caught her attention. She stood up unexpectedly in a fit of rage, staring at his small back. Why would someone say that? Who do you think you are to say something like that? At least I am not like that!

‘What’s wrong with giving your all in a relationship? What’s wrong with doing everything and anything for the person you love? Saying that girls look only at appearance, aren’t men the same?! y, hot, miniskirts and exposed shoulders. Which men wouldn’t like?! Girls are the same. Pffttt. Men are all the same!’

Everyone had their eyes on her now. Realizing what she did, flustered, she grabbed her bag and stomp out from the backdoor. But she’d caught his attention. His mouth hung open as he watched her disappeared from his vision. But deep down there was a strong feeling of admiration stirring from within

And in that minute, the distance between them changed.

______________________________________

 

They’ve never met. They didn’t know they had. They live in the same neighbourhood, walk the same route home, take the same bus to school and visit the same bookstore and neither bothered with each other’s existence, not even when they were actually in the same class. They have walked past each other many of times, and now he is beginning to notice her.

______________________________________

 

He’d now realized that they’ve been taking the same bus. As always the seats were full, and a random citizen will stand between the two of them. He would always hear the loud music from her headphones and tried to make out the song in his mind. Because of her, he’d started listening more frequently to the radio.  

In class, he would often turn his head just to take a quick glance at her. But he would always catch her sleeping or looking out into a distance. Because of her, he’d been losing focus and taking less precise notes.

After school he would go to the bookstore near their neighbourhood and he would see her there between the shelves, often just brushing her fingers across the rows of books with her headphones on. But the music wasn’t as loud. He wondered what kind of books she likes to read. Because of her, he was there every day, just hoping to catch a glimpse.

And because of her, he has gotten used to keeping his distance.

______________________________________

 

It was the same bus again but even more crowded than before. She was beside him this time, he could hear her music clearer now but the close contact between them made him embarrassed. Yet she didn’t care who stood beside her but made a face when the lady behind gave her an unintentional push.

He was busy averting his attention when the bus came to a halt suddenly. The strong force sent everyone jerking forward. He didn’t even know he had such fast reflex, because he’d caught her with one arm, pulling her back up. This time, she turned around. His eyes widened at their locked gazes, but she didn’t recognize him from class. Flustered, he let go of her immediately, his heart beating too fast for breaths.

The bus started moving suddenly, and once again the force sent everyone backwards. This time, she fell right into his embrace. His arm supporting her shoulders protectively but she found her balance quickly and muttered a quick apology. He didn’t even have time to reply but his stomach did a backflip.

But in that minute, the distance between them closed up a little.

______________________________________

 

She’d now realized that he was always on the same bus. She was often drowning in her own world of blasting loud music, but these days the songs on shuffled always seemed too loud. His simple t-shirt and long pants, his worn out vintage looking sneakers and that pair of nerdy looking glasses. Because of him, she’d started turning the volume down, sometimes not listening to them at all.

In class, she would often stare at his back but when he turned around she would look away quickly or bury her face into her arms. Because of him, she’d been focusing more on what the teacher was saying, sometimes mimicking the way he writes.

After school she would go to the bookstore near their neighbourhood and realized that he was there too, between the shelves, often just flipping through random picked books. She wondered what kind of books he likes to read. Because of him, she wasn’t just there because of how the books smelled but really beginning to like reading them.

And because of him, she has gotten used to him keeping his distance.

______________________________________

 

It was a gloomy day.

The rain was pouring and she stood under the shelter, looking up at the sky. She had removed her headphones and the sound of rain falling echoed in her ears. Around her, girls were making excuses and whining about their dirtied shoes and she smiled, contented, for her rain boots were of more use now.

He stood a few metres away without her noticing. He had an umbrella on hand already opened. Big droplets fell onto it and it was making a loud sound. He took a bashful glance at her and sighed.

Should I walk over? Should I offer?

The sound of thunder startled him and broke his train of thoughts yet she was still glancing at the sky, without a hint of surprise or startle. With another unsure sigh, he lifted the umbrella above his head and took a few steps forward, into the rain. He didn’t take another look at her and walked further away, away from her.

 

She exhaled with the same contented smile and put on her headphones.

Should I run? Should I wait?

Staring at her rain boots, she contemplated on the time she needed to make it to the nearest busstop. Maybe a little more than a minute, she calculated. When she was all ready for the dash, a pair of half drenched sneakers stopped right before her. Lifting her head, she gasped.

He was standing before her, stretching out his arm with the umbrella. His back was fully exposed to the ongoing rain but he waited for her reaction. She removed her headphones and only looked at him without saying a word. 

‘Hey.’ He said shyly, an eye smile so bashful behind those nerdy round glasses.

‘H..Hey.’ She stammered and pushed his hand back towards himself so that he was covered by the umbrella. Afterall, she was still sheltered.

‘Shall we walk to the busstop together?’ He had practiced this line millions of times in his head, and now he’d said it without stuttering.

She looked right at him, still at a loss for words but her heart was racing, so fast she’d forgotten how to reply.

‘ok.’ She said finally and saw the smile forming on his lips. She’d never seen a smile so bright yet gentle. Her hands moved on their own, reaching for his glasses. His smile turned into a quizzical look but he didn’t move. Slowly, she removed them, revealing the handsome face beneath. She chuckled and tucked his glasses into her pocket.

He laughed too, a sound so child-like. He knew he was right to be back.

‘Let’s go.’ Wrapping her arm firmly around his, she half-hopped under his umbrella, splashing water over his already drenched sneakers. But he didn't mind.  

‘Let’s go.’ He echoed and took the first step forward, together.

'So..what's your name?' She asked. 

'Chen.' He replied. 'And you?' 

'you.' She replied. 

'Nice to meet you.'

 

And in this minute, the distance between them has long disappeared.

 

- END -

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME. Please don’t be surprised if your name appeared. I am neither a stalker nor a magician. It is actually the code in AFF that allows authors to incorporate readers’ names into stories!!! But nonetheless, I hope you guys liked what I did there.. saranghaja! ^^