1

Birthday

                You’re trying to sleep, but still can’t. Your mind is too focused on tomorrow. It’s 11:45 already, which means you’re gonna be late to school tomorrow. But even after knowing that fact you still can’t sleep. It’s your birthday tomorrow, and thinking about how your day will be filled with birthday greetings made you so excited.  What actually makes you more excited is, the birthday greeting flowing from his perfect lips.

                You wished, right at 12 o’clock, your best friend, Luhan, will say something to you. Best friend? Really? The two of you are so close that so many people believe you’re dating. You like him, but you just keep it, afraid he’s not gonna feel the same, and will forget you as his best friend instead.

                11:55 PM, just a few minutes to go, you said to yourself. Your eyes are now focused on a tiny thing lying beside you. You’re hoping he’ll call you, or at least text you. And finally, it’s the middle of the night. You’re unconsciously smiling because you’re too excited.

                But it’s almost a half hour passed, he still hasn’t called you yet. You’re starting to feel a little bit worried. You tried to think positive, keep on saying maybe he’s just overslept. It’s 2 AM already, and there still isn’t any call from him. You’re starting to feel sleepy, a few yawns coming out from your mouth. Then a few minutes later, you’re already in your dreamland.

                In the next morning, you’re not late like you thought. You start your day with a really bright smile. You checked your inbox, and there were a lot of birthday greeting messages from your friends. You chuckled because some of them are just so cheesy. But then your smile disappeared when you didn’t see any message from him. Maybe he’s going to say it directly, you thought keeping your hopes high. You started to smile brightly again.

                You go downstairs hoping your parents will wish you a happy birthday. Your smile – once again – disappeared because no one was there, and there was a note sticked on the fridge saying ‘Happy birthday, darling! We’re sorry we can’t have breakfast together with you or celebrate your birthday. But we really love you! Your favorite omelet rice is in the oven, I even wrote your name on it. Love, Mom and Dad.”

                You frowned, and just left the house without even eating the breakfast. Your long waited birthday ruined by your own parents. You know they’re busy, but you think it’s ridiculous if they can’t even spare their time for their own daughter. You walk faster, hoping your mood will be better at school later.

                Later at school, so many of your friends wished you a happy birthday. You’re a fun, bubbly, and friendly person, making so many people want to be your friends. You saw Luhan, you were about to approach him when he gave you the cold stare and looked away. You’re surprised, but then calmed yourself down, thinking he’s going to give you a surprise later. So you continue your day with a happy smile.

                You didn’t talk to him that day, guessing what kind of surprise he planned. But until the school ends, he still didn’t greet you or anything. You’re starting to think he’s mad with you or something.

                You usually go home with him, so you waited him in the usual place. It’s passed 1 hour already, but he’s still not there. Thinking he maybe went home earlier because he had something to do, you go home by yourself.

                You checked your phone, still hoping for him to call – or text you. But there was none. Your eyes shattered like a glass window. Why did I expect much from him?, you asked yourself. You wiped your tears, and continue walking home.

                At home, your parents are not home yet. You’re alone. It’s just like the usual day, nothing more, except for those birthday greetings. You buried your face in your arms, crying. You think no one loves you. In movies, when friends ignore you on your birthday means they’re preparing a surprise at your home. But at home, what you got is just the usual empty home.

                You feel so miserable, then cried to sleep. In your dream, you’re having a big garden party. Your parents, friends, and him are there. You’re laughing so much that your stomach hurts. There were no tears, only happy laughs. But then you woke up, finding yourself sitting on a bench in the park.

                It’s dark and cold, you don’t know why you’re here. But then a voice approached you from the back, “happy birthday!” You turned your head to see who it was.

                You can’t believe your eyes. It was… “Happy birthday, poop. I made this cake, but I don’t guarantee the taste,” he said chuckling. It was him, your dearest best friend. Your eyes looked at the small cake he’s holding. It’s more to a mess than a cake, but you’re still happy. Your tears of joy started to stream down your cheeks. You thanked him, then ate the cake.

                It tastes bad, but it’s the best cake in the world for you. He smiles as he sees you eating. “Was I too harsh on you?” he suddenly asked. “When I ignored you, was I too harsh?”

                You puffed your cheeks. “Yes, you did. I was hoping a midnight birthday wish from you, but you didn’t call me or text me. You didn’t greet me or anything and you—“ your words were cut by his laugh. “What’s so funny?” you said, annoyed.

                “Look at you, eating like a little child!” he mocked. “Okay, I’m really sorry I ignored you and didn’t call you. I was just trying to give you a special present.”

                “And what is that special present?” you asked in excitement. “Don’t close your eyes,” he warned. He flicked his finger. Then a few seconds later, fireworks are decorating the dark sky. The tears started to coming out as soon as you think he prepared this specially for you.

                “Thank you,” you mumbled those two words again. “Now, now,” he said. “You can close your eyes!”

You did what he told you to, another big surprise! Your eyes widened when you felt something warm and soft touched your lips. You can see his face clearly thanks to the fireworks. You’re so close to him, making your heart beats fast.

                “I—I,” you muttered as he parted. He chuckles, hearing your nervousness. “I love you,” he said. You glanced at him, “really?” He nods. “B-because I do, too,” you said shyly.

                “Ah, glad to hear that!” he said as he grins. It’s awkward for a second, because the both of you didn’t know what to talk. Then without any warning, he kissed you again, softly. You close your eyes, as you think it’s the best birthday ever.