The Foreigner and the Tom

Sending 143 to a Tomboy

 

A blond boy was fidgeting at the hem of his school uniform, he’s feeling anxious at the moment because it’s the opening class of the school he’s going to attend in Korea, Genie Art High School. Its just been 2 weeks since he they migrated at South Korea due to his parents business that is expanding in the said country.

“Henry just relax.” A gentle voice uttered making the boy turn his attention to the person who was driving the car. A sweet smile was tugged on the said guy and he looked at Henry with gentle eyes.

“Kyuhyun hyung, are you sure that the students there won’t bully me? I read some article online last night concerning transferees in this country and all of those contains of students bullying foreign transferee students, it’s okay if it’s just harmful words but what if they’re going to inflict pain and assault me? I don’t know any self defence stunts.” Henry outbursts, making his Korean cousin laugh at him as if he’s saying something amusing.

“Come on now lad, what do you think of us Koreans? Bullies? Racial? Well some might but not all of us, and I guarantee you nobody would lay a finger on you. I’m an alumnus of that school so I know how students function in there. Don’t worry okay?” the older uttered and that was when the younger noticed that they’re already in front of the gate of the prestigious school.

With a final deep sigh Henry reached for his bag at the back seat and went out of the car, “See you later okay? Enjoy your first day.”

And with that Henry watched how the car went off leaving trails of dust in the air, with determination he walked inside the school, he’s mouth went agape when he finally saw the whole campus, the buildings, the lawn even the trees screams wealth. Students were everywhere, some are at the benches, and some are just minding their own worlds.

Henry pulled a paper which consists of the list of the subjects he will be having on that semester, it wasn’t that hard to find he’s designated room, he settled in a chair beside the window and just marvelled the natural scenery outside.

“You’re a transferee aren’t you?” a deep voice mumbled which made Henry look at the person who owned the voice.

There stood two tall guys that are looking at them, one with a frizzy brown hair and is smiling with white complete set of teeth making Henry think he’s a toothpaste model or somewhat, the other made Henry’s heart beat fast inside his chest. The other student was looking at him with those sharp black orbed eyes, his hair was black and with a good built behind the uniform he was wearing, this guy reminds him of ninjas and assassins.

“Oh, don’t be bothered by this guys features, he may look like a bad but he’s really friendly.” The guy that looks like a model uttered, “I’m Park Chanyeol by the way, and this boy beside me is Hwang ZiTao. So tell me you’re a transferee am I correct?

Henry can’t help but nod, “I’m Henry Lau transferee from Toronto, Canada.”

“See Tao am right! He’s not a Korean!” Chanyeol exclaimed and slightly tapped his friend’s shoulder.

“Is that good or bad?” the new guy can’t help but ask.

“Well it’s up to you on how you’re going to take it, you see Tao here is not Korean either, he’s Chinese but he’s been in this school for 2 years now.” Chanyeol uttered, he was about to sputter some more but the school bell ring.

“Come on, the opening program’s going to start.” Tao uttered and walked towards the door.

“Well you’re welcome to come with us in the auditorium if you want.” Chanyeol offered making Henry smile with gratitude.

“I’ll be more than glad.” Henry stood up but a sudden urge hit him. “Ammm... but before we go to there may I ask where the bathroom is first?”

“Oh just go to straight at the hallway then turn right, that’s where the bathrooms are.”

Henry muttered a thanks before hurrying towards the direction his new friend told him, the blond smiled after peeing an washed his hands. Remembering that the program will start at any moment he ran as fast as he can outside the bathroom not knowing that he’ll clash to somebody.

He could feel the impact of colliding bodies, and if Henry hasn’t controlled his impact he might be like the other person lay on the cold pavements.

A mumbled ouch was uttered by the person and made Henry’s eyes wide as saucers and helped the guy stand again.

“Am so sorry, I didn’t mean to bump unto you. It’s just that am in a hurry because the opening program is going to start any minute now.” Henry explained while inspecting if there’s any damage.

The person he bumped just dust off his clothes and just smiled making Henry look at him closer.  He’s a guy right? Henry thought as he roamed his eyes towards the guy in front of him.

“It’s okay, no problem.”  The person uttered and went away leaving Henry rooted where he’s standing. Minutes past by when he finally realized that he should move because Chanyeol and that creepy Tao are waiting for him.

The opening program went on a traditional way; speeches here and there making the students yawn as if been injected with sleeping drug and the voices of the teachers giving speech in the front cradle them into sleep.

Henry was about to give in to sleepiness he heard the emcee called out for the president of the year he belongs to, the 3rd year students. He didn’t give a damn who that person is but he’s eyes went wide when a familiar figure stood up and walked graciously towards the stage.

Isn’t that guy I bumped earlier?

“Good day my fellow students of Genie Art High School, My name is Amber Josephine Liu president of the 3rd year students.”

“Amber Josephine?! Sheesh... that dude’s a girl?” Henry uttered louder than usual earning looks from his fellow students. Henry hurriedly lowered his head and a blush crept at his cheeks.

Days passed and it turned to week and finally months, Henry loved his new school because the students there are nice, well mostly to him. His world was kinda perfect, fully believing that there are no bullies in the school until one day...

Henry was walking in the walking paths searching for a place where he can write songs and just be alone for some quite time, he was about to turn on a corner of building when he jumped back when he caught a glimpse of a tanned guy cornering another guy in the wall of the building with matching clutch on the latter’s uniform.

Wait.. That guy...errr I mean girl, was that the president of 3rd year students Amber Josephine? Henry thought while trying to get a better look beside the corner he was hiding.

“You! You ing ! You’re the reason why Krystal broke up with me!” the tanned boy uttered with so much anger, he’s eyes mirrored hate and anguish at the same time.

Henry’s heart stopped beating for a second when he clearly saw the fist of the tanned boy go up as if going to punch the president. Sheesh! Is he nuts?! She’s a girl for crying out loud! He was torn between revealing himself or just walks away and just pretends nothing happened.

The blond boy chose the first option, well he’s conscience can’t bear the guilt right? He was about to unveil himself when halts at the last second when he heard the girl’s voice.

“Well was it my fault that Krystal chose me? Was it my fault that am cooler? Was it my fault that she found me more caring than you and that I could connect at her emotion than you? Wake up Kim Jongin! It’s not my fault it’s yours!” Amber uttered straight to the guy named Jongin, her face void of any emotion but what she said launched thousands of daggers that hurt Jongin, a lot.

“You ing Tomboy!” the guy shouted then Henry could clearly see how the boy named Jongin punched Amber.

Henry was petrified on his place for a good 3 seconds; he clearly saw how Amber slammed on the ground because of the impact. How can somebody punch a girl? Yes she might be a tomboy like what that kid uttered but that doesn’t mean you could hurt her!

“Hey!” Henry shouted making Jongin look at him, the boy was clearly surprised that somebody was present at that moment and possibly saw how he punched a girl. Not knowing what to do, Jongin retreated and run somewhere as if was on fire.

Henry immediately ran towards the tomboy’s side and cupped her face as if inspecting if she’s alright.

“Are you okay? Let’s go to the clinic!” Henry uttered in panic when he saw the purplish color that slowly form beside the girl’s lip.

To Henry’s surprise the tomboy just shook her head softly, “Can you just bring me an ice to the rooftop? Tell the student assigned in the cafeteria named Victoria that I need it, she’ll give you some.” Henry could only nod, and with that Amber tried to smile but winced when pain crept on the side of his lip.

The guy ran hurriedly towards the cafeteria and find as fast as he can the girl named Victoria, the girl shook her head softly and a silent tsk came out from her red lips but then grab an ice pack and gave it to guy.

“It’s the second time this week.” Victoria whispered as if talking to herself.

So it’s not the first time that somebody actually punched her?!

“Where is she now?” Victoria uttered while her finger placed below her chin.

“At the rooftop.” Henry answered honestly making the girl nod and smiled towards him, a genuine smile.

“Can you stay by her side for a moment? I’ll go there as soon as my shift is done here.” Victoria uttered while fixing her apron above her school uniform. Henry just nodded and ran again.

---oOoOo---

“Ahhhh....! That hurt!” Amber whined when Henry patted the ice pack on her bruised lip, he was holding her chin gently while patting the said ice pack.

“Just bear it, it’s your fault also why that guy punched you.” Henry uttered as if accusing her, and to his amusement the girl chuckled. “What’s funny?”

“Nothing, it’s just that you’re right it was my fault.”

And for once Henry saw how pretty their tomboy president is in up close look when she was smiling. He was about to say something but was cut off when she heard steps walking towards them.

A girl with red straight hair and pretty face was shuffling towards them, wait she’s mad. Her lips pouting and her eyes in tiny slits when finally reached them. She bent down and grabbed Amber’s face as if inspecting it making Henry step back a little.

“Amber Josephine Liu!” She uttered angrily making Amber retreat for a few inch but the red haired girl grabbed Amber’s face harder making the tomboy gasped in pain.

“Ya..ya... Krystal... that hurts..” Amber whined once again, her face distorted with pain.

“Why did you let Jongin punched you huh?! You could have reasoned out and drop the act that you snatched me away from him where in fact I’m tired being his girlfriend!” Krystal clutched Amber’s face more making the latter wince more.

“Excuse me miss but I think you’re hurting her.” Henry can’t help but in.

Krystal looked at her side when she heard somebody talk, and yes she finally realized that someone’s there too besides her and the president. A frown slowly formed on her forehead, “Who are you?”

“Henry Lau, 3rd year student.” The guy uttered while smiling delicately while waving the ice pack on his hand, “Am the one whose applying ice at the moment in Amber Josephine’s face.”

To his surprise the girls snorted as if holding their laughter as hard as they could, smiles and grin are plastered on the girls faces making Henry tilt his head on the side because he’s wondering what he said that made the girls smile.

“Have I said something funny?” the guy uttered.

“No , it’s just that it’s been so long since a guy uttered Amber’s real name.” Krystal said with amazement. “Well I’m Krystal Jung Amber’s friend.”

“Friend?”

Krystal nodded and Amber smiled some more.

“Aren’t you saying girlfriend? Because what I’ve heard earlier Jongin said she snatched you away from him.” Henry uttered with confusion.

“As if.” Krystal uttered.

“No she’s not my girlfriend.” Amber clarified making Henry lost in a moment trying to sort things out.

Krystal knows that the boy in front of her was confused, “If it will help you out let me inform you that me and Amber are friends since were kids and that Amber is not what you think she is.”

“She’s not what I think she is?” Henry furrowed his brows even more.

“In short she’s not a tomboy, get it now?” Krystal uttered towards Henry making the guy’ lips form into an o. She then turned to Amber who at that time was caressing her hurt lip, “And you.. Go home.”

“But---“ Amber tried to explain but Krystal hushed her.

“If it’s the council meeting you’re worried about don’t worry about it, Victoria and I together with Sulli can handle it.” Krystal continued and in a second she’s gone back somewhere leaving the two behind.

“So you’re not a lesbian?” Henry asking as if confirming.

Amber smiled while gently caressing her guy cut styled hair and shook her head.

“Then why are you wearing men’s uniform? And you’re hair cut so short as if you’re a dude?”

Amber can’t help but chuckle and look at Henry with bright eyes. “It doesn’t mean that I styled my hair short like dudes means am included in the third , I cut my hair because of a reason, a funny reason to be exact. Regarding with my clothes it’s just that am not comfortable with skirts since am young.”

“Wow, that’s quite a surprise because I did believe that you’re a tomboy, heck I even thought of you as a guy the first time we met.” Henry uttered while showing a bashful smile making his eyes disappear and turned to tiny slits.

Amber just answered him with a friendly smile and walked towards the door leading to the stairs down, “That’s fine, can’t blame you.”

Henry followed Amber, still a question lingers on his head, “Can I ask you a question if you won’t mind?”

“Shoot.”

“If you’re not really a tomboy then why did you let that Jongin guy assume that you really snatched Krystal away from him? Won’t it be easier if you would clear it unto them?”

“It’s just that if I’m going to tell them the truth, would they believe me? I guess not, its okay if other people assume things about me as long as I know that what they are saying are not true and I know what’s the real me. Besides other comment doesn’t matter to me as long as my friends are beside me.” Amber explained while grabbing the ice pack at Henry’s grasp.

Hearing that explanation made Henry admire Amber, because what she said are true. You don’t have to please other people, it only matters that the important person’s are the one who truly knows who you are.

---oOoOo---

Months passed by quickly and Henry found himself hanging around Amber, he was a constant visitor at the Student Council’s office. Each day he discovers something from Amber like she loves dresses too but not wearing any of it because it looks awkward on her; she loves hairpins too and wears them occasionally.

She’s a selfless person whom loves her friends more than herself, and even though she gets in trouble because people thinks she’s snatching girls away from boys, she was merely going with the flow and just let’s them think awful things unto her and every time somebody misjudge Amber, Henry on the other wants to defend her but the girl president just shook her ead while stopping him on launching himself on a fight with other.

Until one day Henry just found herself thinking of Amber more than a friend should think of a mere friend.

Henry was still lying on his bed when he heard his mother knock him on the door saying that somebody’s there to see him. Thinking that it’s just Chanyeol or Tao told his mom to let his friend in.

“Wow, fancy room you got.” A voice which made Henry jump from his bed uttered.

It was Amber, she was in her casual street clothes, a shirt a khaki short and rubber shoes. To others she may look ordinary but to Henry’s eyes there’s something in her that makes her more beautiful than she should be.

“Cool, you’re composing?” Amber uttered while smiling when she saw paraphernalia that needs when you’re composing something.

Henry nodded making Amber ecstatic, “You’re into composing too?” Henry asked.

Amber nodded eagerly while grabbing an acoustic guitar from the side, “Am more on the lyrics and raps, am not that good with the instruments and musicality.”

“Wow awesome! Want to compose with me?”

“Sure! That would be fun!” Amber excitedly uttered.

And for hours they kept themselves in the room having fun with lyrics while occasionally playing some instruments. That session of composing didn’t end there, it became their ritual to hang out at Henry’s room and emerged themselves on their little world.

At first Henry denies that he’s developing feelings towards his tomboy look like friend but as days that turned to months passed after hanging out that ends to sleepovers sometimes Henry definitely can’t deny he’s falling for their president. How did he realize he was falling slowly?

Henry woke up from his slumber one ordinary day, he fell asleep on the couch beside his bed. Amber was lying on his bed and Henry was about to wake her up when he noticed how beautiful his friend is, that pale lovely skin, eyes with long lashes, pinkish cheeks and lips that are really kissable because of its pink color. He doesn’t know why but he’s heart erratically beat inside his chest, hammering is more appropriate.

He was about to  let her sleep some more so he could gather his self on that earl morning but the girl slowly woke up and opened her eyes, a smile crept on her lips. “Good Morning.”

Sheeeeeep.... Am falling.

---oOoOo---

It was February and prom was fast approaching , Henry wants to ask Amber out but he doesn’t know how and how it will come out as not awkward.

2 days before the prom and Amber was once again on his house, in his room particularly. She was lying in the bed with some music sheets on her hands while Henry was on the swivel chair beside his computer, he had a pencil on his lips, if he wants to ask Amber about Amber being his date on the prom he should ask her now.

“Ammm..” Henry started but ended up clearing his throat making Amber look at him.

“You okay?” Amber asked which Henry answered with a nod.

“Say, prom is 2 days from now right?”

The girl just answered him with a nod, not taking her sight from the music sheets, “The student council were really busy this past few days because of prom and----“

“Will you be my date?” Henry cut Amber out, his eyes tightly shut after saying the words that he practiced over and over in the past days in front of the mirror.

The girl’s attention went unto him, and she slightly chuckled after seeing his reaction, he looked cute with that nervous face he had and his eyes tightly shut.

“Are you really asking me for prom?” Amber clarified which was answered by a nod by the guy.

Amber stood up and walked towards the door and that made Henry’s heart sank in the floor as if knowing the impending rejection cause his friend is walking out of him.

“Okay, I should go now. Since you asked me for prom I should look for a pretty dress right? Pick me in my house at exactly 7 okay?” and with that Amber went out of the room leaving the shocked Henry.

After the words sank in, Henry jumped up and down the floor as if winning the lottery, “She said yes!”

---oOoOo---

It was exactly 7in the evening, and Henry was now sitting anxiously at the Liu’s living room waiting for his date to come down.

“Here she is. Hmmm... she looks human now.” Kris, Amber’s older brother uttered, his arms crossed on his chest.

Hearing what the brother said, Henry looked slowly towards his date and his breath was caught in his throat.

There Amber stood in the last flight of the stair, she was wearing a red and silver gown, wearing extensions on her short hair which emphasize her face more. She was wearing light make up, and oh she looks beautiful alright.

“Let’s go?” Amber uttered pulling Henry from his perfect world.

They arrived at the prom right on time, guys and girls were throwing glances on them and whispering to each other.

“Wow the pres looks beautiful.” A girl uttered making the boy beside her nod in agreement.

“Didn’t know she possesses that beauty, why did she hide it all this time?” Another guy muttered while eyeing Amber with such admiration.

Henry should be happy that people are taking notice of them but irritation kicks in because now he know that he’ll be competing to a lot of boys for her dates attention.

“Do I look awkward? People are staring at us.” Amber uttered and unknowingly grabbed Henry’s hands and intertwined their hands together making Henry blush.

“No, you just look pretty that’s why they’re looking at you.” Henry assured making Amber smile.

With that smile Henry knew very well that she had to tell Amber what he really felt for her, he can’t wait any longer.

“Amber tell me, if s friend of yours love you more than a friend will you go out with him for a date?”

“What do you mean?” Amber asked, curious on what her friend was saying.

A deep sigh came out from Henry, it’s now or never men. “What am saying is if I’ll ask you for a date will you go out with me?”

Amber was left with no words as she looked deep in the brown orbs of his friend, “Amm... am sorry, can you give me some time to process what you just said?” and with that Amber walked away from him and sat at the table at the center of the floor while grabbing something to drink.

Henry knows that it’s not that easy to convince someone so suddenly to go out and take a step forward than being a friend, but he knows he gotta do something to prove to her that he really like her and want to go out with him.

Even before Henry could think twice he went to the stage and gathered the attention of the students who at that moment are having fun dancing.

“Ammmm....  hello? Is this thing on?” Henry started earning the attention of the students, even Amber’s. “Sorry to bother you guys but this will just take some minute, i just want to say some things to the girl I want to ask out through a song.”

Buzz and whispers surrounded the whole area after hearing what Henry said.

“If somebody can lend me a guitar? I would be much more than glad to day thank you.” And as if everything is going on his ay somebody lend him an acoustic guitar in an instant.

“Ahem... So this song goes to Amber Josephine Liu, I hope you’ll consider my invitation.”

143

Seoro hamkkeil ttaemyeon nunbitman bwado ara ara ara (uh- uh)

Jibeuro doraomyeon mworago halji molla molla molla

 

Ajigeun seotulleo naui modeun maldeuri

Ajigeun eoryeowo neoui geu munjadeuri

Sajeonul pyeolchigo hanassik want to know want to know i don’t know

 

I’m sending 1-4-3 geuljaron ajik jeondari an dwae woah oh oh

I’m sending 1-4-3 dansunhan sutjanoriga anya woah oh oh

I love you 1-4-3 neoneun 4-8-6

Sending 1-4-3 neomu dareuji

Sending 1-4-3 ajik eoryeopji

Dansunhan sutjanoriga anya 1-4-3

(credits to: kpoplyrics.net)

Henry blushed after singing, he knows it’s shameful but what can he do, he’ll do anything just to convince Amber. Looking back at the girl whom he was doing his best to convince her, he found Amber smiling unto him while nodding his head as if saying something.

He smiled adorably knowing that he earned a date with the girl whom he thought was a guy at first.

Oh boy, am really sending a 143 to a tomboy. My own tomboy.