Chapter 1

Accelerating Engagement [one-shot]

2003

It was the day before Valentine’s Day. Unfortunately, my boyfriend broke up with me, so right now; I’m left all alone in the open, walking the lonely streets—alone—alongside seeing couples cuddle. I wore a sweater even though it wasn’t cold. I was hoping that people would pity me and take me home. May it be that they’re strangers, I’d be very thankful for their help.

On my way home, I hadn’t had the courage to make myself stronger. Instead, my emotional feelings began to pour a river-full of tears down my eyes. I compressed myself. I hugged myself, so that I won’t feel like I’m alone. As much as I wanted to think that there are still people caring for me, there’s just none and that fact couldn’t change. If only Eddie didn’t break up with me for another girl, I wouldn’t be like this.

A little later on, I swiped my tears using the back of my hand and turned around to see the view which I wanted to see the last—the carnival, where Eddie and I usually hanged out a lot to be merry and be happy. I’m just about to step out of the park and well, from here, I could measure everything. The view, the landscapes, that when I turn from angle-to-angles, I know what I’ll see. I waved ‘bye’ to no one in particular and then turned around again to continue walking my path home.

As I reached the road a few kilometers from my home…, a paper flew directly flew to my face, blocking my view. And then of course, I quickly disregarded it with my right hand and threw it back to the ground where it normally was. But then, unfortunate as I am, it flew right back and I was irritated. But instead of crumpling and thrashing it onto the floor, I checked out the flyer that said:


Alone this Valentine’s Day?
Worry, no more!
For this evening, before Valentine’s Day at its best, would be your night.

SPEED DATING

It would be held @ Country Style right next to the Grand Mall near the main intersection roads here in Taipei.

Sponsored by: HIM Company and of course Country Style

Exciting guest surprises would be their as well!

Time: 8:30 PM

So, what are you waiting for?
Be full of love this Valentine’s Day.
Bring your friends along and set your heart’s to its fullest beat.

Don’t be late, be punctual!

‘Speed dating,’ I whispered and stood still on ground, the flyer I folded and packed in my sling bag. I looked at my wristwatch that read approximately 5 in the evening. Thus, because of too much excitement for the event that I think I should participate in, I hastily crossed the road, turned a few twists and turns and settled inside my house, completely forgetting about my break-up with Eddie.

--

At about 6 in the evening, I prepared my clothes to wear, accessories and everything, ready to step in the Jacuzzi to have a bubble bath. After that, I wrapped myself in my mushroom towel and exited the bathroom to happily bounce back and forth on my bed. Don’t get me wrong here, but what I just did is basically my usual habits that I couldn’t avoid!

And so, after calming myself, I put on my ruffled purple dress and topped it with a blue bolero paired with strapped heels from Daphne. I went back to the bathroom and applied Heme, my all-time favorite skin supplement. I put on very slight make-up and lip balm, because I’m not too girly. No matter how androgynous I looked, I didn’t mind and just shook the thought away like it’s nothing serious, which I assume isn’t, anyway.

--

I stepped in Country Style at about 8:15 PM. I stopped midway when I noticed Eddie sitting at the bleachers for guys at my left side and what more? He was smiling at me like nothing happened the day before. I wondered why he was there and why the hell was he there for. And so, to make myself look stronger, I began to walk once again and immediately shifted my gaze to the man beside him. He looked familiar, tall, masculine; he had perfectly pointed nose and alluring eyes, making me want to actually not shift my gaze away from him. And to actually keep myself still sane of not wanting to strangle the hell out of Eddie, I settled down on the gal bleachers and waited for the event to start.

Some unknown guy stood in between the two bleachers, separating the guys and the gals. He talked and talked nonstop, talking about the mechanics of the speed dating.

“A pair, a man and a woman would be given 5 minutes to get to know each other.”

I yawned, because I was so bored. I messed up my hair a little, because I was so impatient of waiting.

“There are as I see 10 guys and gals, so there’ll be 10 tables right in front of you to shift chairs and pairs with.”

Only when the guy stated, “Let the speed dating begin!” did I stand up from my seat and settled down on one of the chairs in front of a thick-lipped guy who looked like he could handle some fashion sense and stuff. He had a silver chain and pendant necklace around his neck. He looked wacky, He didn’t look too serious, nor did he look to funny.

“Hey, I’m Wilber Pan, you could just call me Will and you are miss!?” He started to introduce himself, alongside asking for my name.

“Ella Chen,” I replied, “Although, you could just call me Ella.”

“So, tell me more about yourself,” he requested.

“Err…” I paused, trying to think of what to say next. “I recently broke up with my boyfriend.”

“When in particular?” he enquired, pissing me off, because he’s go a lot of questions in mind for me to be even mindful of.

“Yesterday,” I answered and put on a pout.

“That’s sad,” he smirked and patted my shoulder.

“Well, what about you?” I now enquired just as I thought that I’ve told him much of myself.

“I work for a company, particularly fashion designing,” he answered.

“Really,” I said in amusement. “What company?”

“Top girl,” he quickly replied.

“That’s amazing,” I praised.

“Switch!” the stupid host announced and I cursed inside my head, because I’m very much interested to know more about Top Girl and so, I’ve decided that I’d want to still see Will, so I’ll take note of his name in my mind first.

After that, the guy’s switched places for the girls weren’t really required. I forgot to tell you guys that they clarified a little later on that we, gals just needed to stay settled in one place.

“Hey!” a guy who looked handsome and tall who was smiling at me with his spiky hairstyle waved ‘hi’ at me and took a seat in front of me. “I’m Blue…Blue Lan,” he introduced himself and offered a shake off hands, while I gladly accepted it and told him my name as well…

“Hi Blue,” I laughed and firmly shook his hands with a smile plastered on my face. “I’m Ella.”

“Sounds nice,” he complimented me.

“Thanks,” I took his utter gratitude in comfort, knowing that he looked like he really meant it.

“So….,” he muttered and shifted his gaze to the woman a couple of steps away from our table.

“You like her, don’t you?” I enquired, looking at the woman with silky white skin and long hair who was talking to a man who looked familiar, although he looked like he hasn’t slept for days. Although, the woman still had a great time with him as predicting from the smiles forming on her face.

“I know it’s not appropriate to be doing speed dating when I know I’ve known her since God knows when,” Blue said. “I’m so sorry.”

“No!” I said in exclamation. “I actually find it interesting. Why not grab her out along now and confess? It’s Valentine’s Blue! I know you don’t know me that much to trust me but believe me that this…” I pointed to myself. “…psychopath knows how to work things out.”

�“Thanks, Ella. I really thank you,” Blue thanked me again just in time as the host shouted,

“SWITCH!”

 
And just as the boy who was talking to the girl Blue likes sat on the chair in front of me, I wondered to myself why I didn’t ask Blue of the girl’s name.

“Hi,” the man greeted. “I’m Show…Show Luo,” but he didn’t offer any handshakes, but a smile alone.

“I’m Ella,” I said and plastered on my face a curt smile. “Umm,” I muttered. “I know this isn’t in any way related to getting to know each other, but…” I stopped.

“Go on, anything you ask should be fine,” he encouraged and so I did speak again,

“Who’s the girl you were talking to previously, the one before me?” I enquired.

“That’s Barbie,” he said. “She’s pretty, right?”

“Indeed,” I said. “And so, let’s get down to business and get to know each other?” It sounded half meant and half questioned, but it should be fine.

“Business, you say...” he wondered. “I don’t have a business, but I work for P&G’s Pert commercials.”

“Really,” I sound amused, “That explains panda eyes and why you look familiar.”

“Ha-ha,” Show only laughed in amusement of my being too straightforward.

“So, you don’t have any shoots today?” I enquired. “Models are supposed to be busy, right?”

“Fortunately, I have no schedule for today that’s why I joined this speed dating,” he said.

After that, the host shouted the ‘switch’ word a couple of times.
I got to know Yoga Lin, who had an amazing voice. He sang me a line from the song ‘Legend’ and he told me he used to have a band. The next one was Anthony Guo and then Jerry Huang, yet I didn’t really find anything interesting in them. After Jerry, I was beginning to lose hope once again. Eddie’s just a few seats still away from me and I’ m afraid that he has to go and sit right in front of me, when we all know that he knows me too well already that he didn’t need to do the drill. Next up after Anthony was Joe Cheng. He looked amazing, he could be an artist, I thought, for he showed me quite some couple of good stage acts. He played with me a mock fight for 3 and a half minutes after we got to know each other.

After Joe Cheng was Won Bin, getting me jaw dropped for he told me he’s a Korean and because he wasn’t that fluent with the language, we talked in English and had some fun getting to know each other. And I don’t know why, but on the act that I was getting to know Won Bin, my heart began racing. It felt like there’s a pair of eyes looking at me. I looked at Eddie and glared in an instant for he was having a great time with the girl (pertaining to Jolin) who had dyed brunette hair and looked like she can dance. And then again, getting my undivided attention from Won Bin, I found myself yet again allured just by staring at the man who was sitting next to Eddie as I entered Country Style a little while lately. He was staring back at me and I don’t know why. The girl in front of her who had straight long hair kept calling ‘Chun’ at him, which I assume is his name, yet he didn’t look back as the host shouted ‘switch’ again and he was right in front of me. At the last minute of switching, I saw Won Bin curtly glared at me, for some reason, which I assume is because of staring at this ‘Chun’ guy.

And this time, for a change…I was the first one who made introduction remarks,

“Hi, I’m Ella,” I smiled. “And you’re Chun, right?”

“Brilliant!” he exclaimed, “How did you know?”

“Hearing senses, maybe?” I half stated and asked alongside laughing for I’m really having a great time with him, but having to hear his name felt like the old college days and I don’t know why. Maybe it’s also because I actually remember my suitor named Chun, only that I chose stupid Eddie over him and it’s such a pity.

“So, well, as you know, I’m Chun and I’m the youngest in the family,” he said. “As soon as possible, my mom wants me to get engaged and I quite, just quite actually agree with it.”

“You’re thick-skinned!” I exclaimed, “Why are you telling me all those?”

With a sheepish and suspicious smile on his face, he replied, “Because I want you to get to know me more.”

“Right,” I stuck my tongue out at him and crossed my arms over my chest. “So… have you got any talents to show me? You know… the previous guys who sat in front of me, before you, showcased their talents to me.”

“I’m actually flaunting it now,” he said, a smirk forming on his luscious lips.

“Huh?” I asked, confused.

Without my notice and permission, even without the host saying ‘switch’ just yet, he stood up from his seat and went over the counter and I didn’t mind. I looked at my left and saw Eddie looking at me with so much pity in his eyes and it actually irritated me just by the thought of it. But before I could throw a fit and push the table unto him, Chun, from behind my back, offered me a bouquet of Roses and put boxes of chocolates right before my very seat, on top of the table.

Right after, he went over to the host and told him something I couldn’t hear from where I was.

I was so bewildered! I stared at the bouquet of Roses in my arms and at the boxes of chocolates right in front of me, not knowing what to say. As soon as he settled on his seat once again, I started to hear Angela Zhang, one of the special guest artists, singing.

And then I enquired, “What are these for?”

“Can’t you see with your two eyes that those are for you?” Chun enquired, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Is this some kind of bluff?” I enquired, looking intensely at him. “Don’t tell me that you also gave away bouquets of Roses and boxes to the other contestants?”

“Of course not!” he exclaimed. “Those are exclusively for you.”

“Then, what about the girl (pertaining to Rainie) beside me?” I enquired as he scrunched his nose and chuckled.

“Will’s my friend and we have the same plans,” he answered curtly and seriously.

“Then, what are your plans?” I enquired yet again.

“That we’ll give a bouquet of Roses and boxes of chocolates to the woman we like best,” he replied and that thought alone made my heart skip a beat. It felt like heaven to hear someone like you. It’s foolishness that you actually would sound cheap having to have to end, if ever, to a person you met with speed dating, but he’s different out of all the men I’ve first met before.

“So…” was the only word that escaped my mouth as he pulled me up from my chair and guided me outside Country Style with the bouquet of Roses that were from him still in my arms and the boxes of chocolates he held.

I looked back at Country Style when I noticed that I haven’t completed the drill of speed dating and the only person I saw was Eddie, staring at me with a frown. And then I guess that Chun actually having to pull me out is way better than doing the speed dating drill with Eddie.

“Hey, wait!” I exclaimed and loosened his grip on my arms, “Where are we going?”

“I’m not going anywhere,” he answered. “I’m actually ordering a cab to take you home, what’s wrong with that?”

“Well, as I can remember, the speed dating isn’t done yet!” I angrily stomped my foot on his and rolled my eyes as he whined in pain.

“I made the host stop it right at the moment I stood up from my seat and talked with him,”

“But, why?” I asked with a pitiful expression plastered on my face without me even knowing why.

“Ella…” he muttered, “Ella, right?”

And the only thing I did was to nod.

“Don’t you really recognize me?” he asked.

“When I first saw you sitting beside Eddie, you looked awfully familiar,” I answered.

“Then, who am I?” he asked.

“Chun,” I replied.

“I haven’t told you my surname, if I’m not mistaken?” he asked.

I shook my head.

“My name’s Chun…Wu Chun, if you’d like to know,”

And right at that moment felt like eternity. For a minute, I went right back stepping on my past memories. Basketball, suitor, crush and Wu…that’s it! Goh Kiat Chun also known as Wu Chun was my past suitor and crush. I didn’t know why I rejected him before, but I couldn’t believe that he’s right in front of me now.

“Wu Chun,” I repeated. “Why didn’t you just tell me, so that I’d right in front of your face?”

“Then, why didn’t you just go out with me before and dump Eddie?” he enquired.

“It’s a long story,” I replied and a wide smile made its way to my lips.

“So…are you going home using the cab or do you want me to take you home?” he enquired. Although, I know for sure that he wants me to accept the second option.

“I can handle myself,” I answered.

“But we’re not yet finished,” he stopped me midway on my steps going to the cab. “Meet me tomorrow at Time Square where the Valentine’s event would be. You know the time, right?”

And then I smiled, nodded and finally took off, going home, feeling so much bliss taking over me.

--
And it was as if that time flew fast that a cab once again fetched me from home and dropped me off at times square. It was exactly the 14th today and what particular people surrounded me? Couples, yes, that’s it! Seeing them actually made me want to puke, because some were making out, some were being cheesy and mushy; yet, I had no one to be with me today.

“Ella!” someone shouted from behind. As a response, I spun myself around and met the first person I’d want to see right at the moment.

‘Are you that somebody?’ I asked myself. ‘Who would change my life once again and make it better?’ I know he couldn’t hear me, but whatever!

“In 5,”

His gaze electrified me.

“4,”

He walked closer.

“3,”

I prepared myself.

“2,”

“Don’t spoil the fun,” he whispered, well enough for me to hear.

“1,”

“Kiss me,” those words just escaped my mouth like it was nothing that mattered. It’s more like I didn’t care if this would be our second meeting after so many years of losing interaction.

“All the couples should kiss,” thus, we kissed.

--

2009

Kissing a stranger, to be exact, is the most foolish thing I could ever do, but it was all worth it for Chun and I are still strong until now.

021509
Philippines
6:48 PM