Chapter 1: Only Your Voice

Listening with a Cup of Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He rushes through the streets while occasionally glancing over his watch. He runs and turns around the corner and slows down a little upon reaching the door with a signage same as the one printed on his uniform. He enters the shop and pants as he walked towards the counter, looking at his watch one final time.

“Hyuuu... I made it on time...” He muttered as he caught his breath, wiping his forehead with some tissues found on the counter.

“What happened to you??” His friend asked him with a smirk as he poured some freshly brewed coffee in a cup before activating the buzzer of one of their customers.

“I had to run seven blocks just to make it on time... I can’t miss her show... Which reminds me...” he answered. “WooYoung-ah, it’s already 5pm, switch the station, ppali!!” he loudly instructed his co-worker, and the younger man did what he was told.

“Her voice just completes my day...” he sighs with a silly smile on his face when the radio show’s title song, sang by the show’s DJ, played.

“Yah, TaecYeon-ah... aren’t you going overboard with that?” his barista friend, Khun, still could not believe Taec’s weird love struck ways.

“Shut up, Khun-ah, she’s about to start...” he hushed as he went behind the counter to do some work.

“Annyeong-haseyo yeorobun... It’s another Thursday night, and I’m your Pink Tape DJ, Tiffany imnida!!! Autumn is finally within our grasps, yeorobun... have you got warmer clothes on you? Or do you have your loved ones warm you up with their hugs? Wish I had one, I only have my coat here with me...” the DJ’s voice surrounded the cafe.

“I wish I could have you warm me up, Tiffany-nim... but your voice already warms me up...” Taec mumbled which didn’t escape Khun and his two other co-workers, WooYoung and MinJun.

“You’re really hopeless, dude...” MinJun shook his head.

“Hyung, how can you even be in love with someone you only know over the radio? You don’t even know how she looks like... you just know her name and her voice... how could you fall head over heels for this DJ?” WooYoung blurted at Taec when the show was on a break.

“Just by listening to her voice, I know that she’s perfect... I have this feeling that she’s the most wonderful woman one could ever meet... and I’m not really in love with her... it’s just admiration, just like how Khun idolizes Kim YeonA... he’s not in love with her, cuz if he is, then he’d be already killed by Vic... there’s a difference...”

“But you act beyond admiration... you’re like obsessed with her... not missing any of her radio shows, and day dreaming about her even if you haven’t met her yet...” Khun stated.

“No, I’m not obsessed... If I was, then I would already know how she looks like, know things that are beyond the knowledge of the internet and I would have stalked her... but I haven’t... so, that means it’s just normal admiration, case closed... and she’s back on air, so shut up and go back to your works...” Taec defended.

“And so should you, before the manager flares up...” MinJun replied as he passed Taec a bag of sugar and creamer sachets, indicating him to refill the sugar and creamer counter.

“And now, I’ll be playing a song requested by listener 6734 Mr. Yoon of Daechi-Dong... personally, I love this song, especially when having long rides... it just relaxes me... please enjoy Chau Chau by Deli Spice...” she spoke to her listeners.         

“Oh TaecYeon-ah... maybe you and that DJ are really fated... you even have the same feeling as her when you listen to that song...” Khun teased.

I hear your voice

I hear your voice

Even though I try not for the life of me to hear it

Even though I try not for the life of me to hear it

It’s only your voice I hear

I hear your voice

“Maybe we are... and I really pray that I could meet her in person someday... do radio DJs organize fanmeets?” he innocently asked.

“I don’t think so... never heard of one... maybe you can post a comment on their page, and ask them to do so...? and tell her that you are her number one fan and that you even dream of being her boyfriend someday...” WooYoung joined in the teasing and Taec just replied with tossing a rag on Woo’s head.

“Yah!! You four!!! Are you not going to do your job seriously?!?!” the friendly but sometimes terrifying cafe manager, JinYoung, yelled at them, surprising some of their customers. Upon realizing, the manager together with the four men bowed at them in apology.

“And here’s a song requested by OkDaeri1227... Girl on TV... DJ Tiffany-nim, are you going to organize a fanmeet soon? I wanna meet you in person so badly... wow, OkDaeri-ssi, I also want to meet my listeners, but unfortunately, there’s no plans of a fan meet yet... we’ll keep you posted OkDaeri-ssi... but in the meantime, here’s the song you requested... enjoy it well...”

Everybody knows her name,

Wanna take a picture and they’re glad she came,

But I just want to be there when she's down, down

I don't want her autograph, I just want to call her up and make her laugh,

Never had to be on a movie screen,

To be the leading lady in all my dreams...


Shooby doo-wap & scooby snacks,

I met a fly girl and I can't relax

The only problem is she's a movie star,

Oh, my friends they won't believe me

If they could only see me,

At the risk of sounding cheesy, I think I fell for the girl on TV.

 

I wish for you on a fallin' star, wonderin' where you are,

Do I ever cross your mind in the warm sunshine,

She's from the city of angels,

Like Betty Davis, James Dean, and Gable,

Never know what she means to me, I fell for the girl that's on TV.

 

After an hour and a half of listening to the mysterious DJ’s voice, advices she gave to troubled listeners and the songs requested by people, he finally resumed his work without distraction. He was about to go back to the storage room to do some inventory when MinJun called him.

“Someone ordered for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter