Dear Baekho

A Letter To You

 

Dear Baekho:
 
I remember the day I first saw you. You were there with your friends while I was on my horse. We were strangers starting out on a separate journey, never dreaming what we'd have to go through. Yet somehow, something in you made me see you differently. Perhaps... It was the way you smile.. I didn't dare to think much about it, so I looked away. Your friends chose a horse for you and the three of you started learning how to ride with the help of one of the instructors at the stables. He is a nice guy. You were paired with Black Rose. Be careful of her, she has a slight temper. I pulled the reigns of Dreamy, making her turn back into her stables. With the help of Minhyun, I left the stables. I didn't know your name, you didn't know mine. I thought we would never meet each other again, but I guess I was wrong. 
 
A few weeks later, we met again. This time, you seemed braver, happier. I was alone at a cafe, watching the interesting people of Seoul while sipping on my customized latte. There was a child who was smiling like the Sun while playing with her new balloons. There was a girl who accidentally bumped into a guy who was busy texting. The two of them looked up at each other and I could faintly spot the red tint on the girl's cheeks. They look cute. I was lost in my own thoughts, till you tap on my shoulder and said hi. We exchanged a few sentences and I got to know your name was Baekho. It fit you. A white tiger who looked strong and fierce, but a complete fuzzball on the inside. You knew my name was Minki. You said it was a cute name. I smiled. Your eyes traced down and you noticed my wheelchair. I wasn't sure what expression was on your face. I looked away and continued drinking my latte. It wasn't long before you left with your friends. That night, I couldn't sleep. There was something about you that kept me awake. There was something about you that stayed deep in my heart. 
 
The number of times we met grew. Somedays, I met you at the cafe. Others, I met you at the stables. There was a time, during a small-scaled horse riding event, that was memorable. I was in the stables with Minhyun. He was helping me put on my competition outfit while I murmured encouraging words to Dreamy. Dreamy seemed a little nervous that day. Finally, it was my turn to go. I rode Dreamy, completed a few tricks perfectly and made a small turn to end. I could hear the familiar applause but something was slightly different that day. You were there. Amongst the sea of spectators, I spot your cheerful sunshine face. I beamed. That day, I got my third gold medal in equestrian.  You came to the stables to congratulate me and I thanked you. We exchanged numbers and you invited me out on a date the next evening. 
 
It was a wonderful first date. You were an absolute gentleman, helping me whenever I needed help. We talked about all sorts of things starting from me, my family, my hobbies, my life so far, and to you, your friends, your favorite sport basketball and songs. You went on the little platform in the garden and showed off your wonderful vocals while I sat, completely mesmerized. That was when I realised, you might be the one I was waiting for. 
 
Everyday after school, you would come to visit me. I had private tutoring and you would accompany me, not bothered by the repetition of everything you've already learnt in school. Soon, the day of my 10th physiotherapy session  came. You asked to come along with me and I agreed. That was the day you learnt about what happened to me. You learnt about the death of my parents because of a terrible car crash. You learnt that Minhyun and I were the only two survivors that day. You learnt that I was paralyzed from waist down because of that. Yet, you didn't show any difference in warmth you showered upon me. You were there whenever I fell because I couldn't support myself. You were there when I was on the verge of giving up once again. You were there to keep me going.
 
Two days later, it was my parents' 2nd death anniversary. You ended up staying over at my house because you were afraid something would happen to me. While you were asleep, Minhyun came to say that you were a good man and I could trust you. Of course, I already knew that. Thank you Baekho, for staying with me when I needed you the most. Because of your presence, that night was the night I cried the least. 
 
Day after day, we spent time with each other. I watched you win your first basketball gold medal. We celebrated at a nearby ice cream shop with your friends Aron and JR. They seemed like really nice kids. I could tell that the friendship between the three of you must have been really strong. I remember the other time I had to specially calm down Black Rose so you could get on her without her throwing you off. You need to learn more about her and talk to her so she could trust you, especially since you're not that light.. ^^ The way Black Rose sulked while carrying you was hilarious. I could almost see Dreamy laughing at her while the two of us rode about the stables. That night, it was the first time we exchanged the words "I love you." That night, you stole my first kiss. 
 
There was one day, you came to my room looking very frustrated. It was then that I know about your mum. I'm sorry for being a guy and not a girl. I'm sorry for being paralyzed waist down. I'm sorry for not being able to win your parent's acceptance. However, you could tolerate none of that. You tried your very best to convince your mum about me. Some days, you would come to me being very depressed. I didn't tell you, but there was a time when your mum came to visit. She said really hurtful things but I could see her point of view. She even offered me money so I would leave you. Thankfully, Minhyun was with me or else I would've broken down once again. I'm sorry but I did consider leaving you.. Then one day, as if a miracle happened, you told me that your mum accepted me. I was extremely overjoyed. From what you said, it seems like your mum finally thought of it in our perspective. Thank you so much, Baekho. If you hadn't tried so hard... 
 
That was two weeks ago. Today, would be my final physiotherapy session. I couldn't sleep at all last night so I thought of writing you this letter. Hopefully today, everything I've wished for would happen again. Thank you Baekho, thank you for standing beside me. Thank you for coming into my life. Thank you for staying in my life. I love you, forever. 
 
Someone who would never have lived without you,
Choi Minki
 
I waited silently while I watch my boyfriend start to tear up. Slowly, he raised his watery eyes to meet mine. 
 
"I love you, Baekho. I really really do," I whispered before throwing my arms around him. Finally, I could hug him without him bending down. Finally, I could say what I really wanted to say for so long, while standing on my two feet, on my own. 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: Hey Everyone! I'm so sorry for disappearing for so long >~< This one shot is really really short but I hope it did capture the feelings of baekren ^^ This is just a short update and about my other ongoing Aren fanfic... I'm sorry but it would still be on hold... This small oneshot was just a random idea that came into my mind so... I'm sorry to disappoint those who are waiting for my other update... I'm so sorry (pq ) please wait a little longer for a full update >< Remember to leave a comment and vote up if you like it! 
~ I love you 
 
©A Heartsmango Publication