Chocolate Chips

Chocolate Chip Fight

 

Chocolate Chips

Entering her favourite cookie shop, the Cookie Jar, she smelt the fresh aroma of cookies that welcomed her. Her hands on each side of the door (that she kept hanging on both sides of her) loosened, and the door shuts lightly from behind. She walked towards the counter, only to be greeted by a long queue. The smile plastered on her face immediately curved downwards. It was one of the moments wherein she gets annoyed from buying there.

She puffed her cheeks as she dragged her feet to the end of the line. It was almost closing time for the shop so she got fidgety every time a customer orders boxes of six or twelve. How she wished they’d only buy one cookie each. Apparently, those were the last batch of cookies to be served. She bobbed her head to check the display if there were still any chocolate chip cookies for her. At the sight of ten cookies, which she counted using her fingers pointing at each, she sighed in relief. Only four more customers were ahead of her. She was only a few steps away from heaven.

Minutes passed, cookies started to diminish as customers bought their favourites in packs. She felt her heart raced spotting that only four pieces were left. The female student, who stood before the guy with a brown brushed-down hair ahead of Yoonjo, took three pieces of those chocolate chip cookies. Worry took over her. It was those times when she starts to regret queuing for such a long line and late, nearing closing time.

“Come on, cookie, come to Yoonjo,” she muttered to herself; her hands clenched. Finally, she was one person away from the cashier. She crossed her fingers and wished deeply that this guy in front of her won’t buy her precious chocolate chip.

“I’ll take that last chocolate chip cookie.” She heard the person said. Her shoulders deflated. The expression on her face was like a shattered glass and everything else turned black and white, slowly shrinking to a black hole.

“Excuse me?!”, she blurted out of annoyance.

“Hmm?” The guy turned to look at her.

“I’m sorry but…” She held out her finger, sheepishly pointing at the box of cookies the cashier hold onto. “…can I have that last piece of chocolate chip?” She asked rather pleaded.

He took a second to stare at the box before turning to look at her with a polite smile on his face. “I’m sorry but I can’t.” The lady cashier handed him the box and he gladly paid it with a smile. “Thank you sir, come again.”

As he was about to leave, she held onto his wrist. Yoonjo did not line up and wasted her precious time for nothing. “But I want it. That’s what I lined up here for.”

“I’m sorry but I really can’t give this to you. I want it as well. Can’t you buy something else?”

“But that’s my favourite. Other flavors don’t satisfy my taste buds not as much as chocolate chips.”

He paused for a moment to think about it. Nonetheless, there was no changing of minds for him. He checked his wristwatch. It stated 7pm sharp. “Sorry.” He started walking away, heading towards the main entrance.

“Yah!” She ran to follow him, and away from the line. The cashier started taking the order of the succeeding customer. Yoonjo held onto the lad’s sleeve. “Give me my cookie!”

“This is mine! I bought it,” he argued.

Her eyes landed on the box he was holding and quickly grabbed it with her hands. However, her little plan on stealing it didn’t work and they were now in a small fight over the box. “You crazy little girl.” He poked her forehead and she was pushed a bit backwards.

Seeing the moment to escape, he seized the opportunity and ran as fast as he can. Yoonjo chased him until the front of the shop. There were no more signs of him. “That selfish jerk. Where’d he run off to?” She checked each side of the streets and couldn’t find him.”Who knew he could be such a fast runner.”

She looked at her watch – time check: 7:26pm. “I better get going. Baek’s waiting for me.” She walked forward and looked for a cab.

 

 

“Yoonjo!” Baekhyun called upon seeing his girl. She turned to him with a small smile and proceeded to take a seat beside the lad. “What’s wrong? Are you tired?” He asked, worried on her being.

She shook her head. “Disappointed.” – one word to describe her feeling that moment.

“Why?” He removed his back which was resting on the chair and leaned towards her; his other arm resting on her chair, encircling her shoulders.

“I didn’t get any cookies. That stupid guy bought the last piece of chocolate chip.” She huffed, making a face, which the lad found quite adorable.

He chuckled at her cuteness and kissed her cheek. Maybe that will lessen her disappointment – and it did. “Let’s just get you those cookies some other time. Baek will treat you.”

She nodded happily and smiled at him.

“Sorry I was late. I was chased by a crazy girl awhile ago and I needed to hide.” The guy told Baekhyun, even though the latter’s back was facing him. He could recognize Baekhyun even from the back.

“It’s okay buddy, have a seat.” Baekhyun said without even turning his back. Yoonjo was leaning onto his side, with her head on his shoulder; his arm wrapped around her.

Hearing the voice, Yoonjo swore she heard it before. It sounded really familiar. The boy went to their front, taking a seat across them. Upon sitting, both Yoonjo and the guy’s eyes widened. His already rounded eyes grew even bigger. “You!” They both yelled in sync sitting up straight.

Confused with this sudden reaction, Baekhyun sat up straight as well, leaning towards the table; his elbows resting on top of it. “You two know each other?” He asked with his finger pointing from the guy and to Yoonjo back and forth.

“No. Not at all,” They both denied resting their backs onto their chair. They sent death glares at each other after recalling the incident awhile ago.

“Really? Because it seems like-”, Baekhyun spoke but was cut by Yoonjo.

“You know what? Why don’t you just introduce your friend to me?”

Defeated, Baekhyun followed what she said. “Yoonjo, this is my cousin, Kyungsoo. He’s the guy I told you who just came from New York.”

“I don’t know if saying ‘nice to meet you’ is applicable here.” Kyungsoo commented giving a look at Yoonjo. The girl scoffed glaring at him.

“By the way,” Kyungsoo reached for the box of cookies placed inside a paper bag under the table. He put it on the table, pushing it close to Yoonjo. “here are the cookies for your girl friend.”

Yoonjo blinked, looking at the box. “This one’s for me?” She pointed a finger to herself, dumbfounded at the moment.

Kyungsoo didn’t answer Yoonjo as it was more of a question to herself rather than a question directed to him. He faced Baekhyun and continued, “I remembered you telling me that your girl friend is a total cookie monster so I fought for it awhile ago.” His eyes shifted direction to look at Yoonjo.

“Really?” Baekhyun reacted.

Kyungsoo nodded, and then smirked eyeing Yoonjo. “I guess you weren’t lying when you said that.” He winked at Yoonjo and the female made a disgusted face; however, it changed into a sheepish one once her eyes landed on the box of cookies again. He really fought for these for me. She thought holding onto the box and staring at it. Chocolate chip cookies are really meant for me!

She turned to look at Kyungsoo and flashed a bright smile at him. “Thanks and sorry.”

“It’s okay.” He smiled at her. “Just don’t do it again.”

“Don’t do what?” Baekhyun turned to Kyungsoo, then to Yoonjo. “And what are you sorry for?”

Kyungsoo and Yoonjo both looked at each other, then back at Baekhyun with a grin. “Nothing.”

Baekhyun scratched his head while furrowing his eyebrows. He shook his head and shrugged it off. Snapping a finger, he looked for a waiter. “Let’s just order.”

The two chuckled at the clueless Baekhyun as he called for the waiter.