01

A Short Love Story

Dara was six years old when he was born. Their parents were best friends since high school. Dara used to take care of him everytime his parents are away. She became fond of him because she has no siblings so she treated him as her own little brother. One day, Dara's father got an offer to work at Seoul so he has no choice but to bring his family with him.

"Noona! don't forget to write to me when you arrive at Seoul okay?" Kris said as he hugged her.

"Of course, you little brat! Be a good boy okay? I'll come and visit you every vacation." Dara says as she messed up the hair of the now crying boy.

Dara kept her promise for sometime. She makes sure to write him a letter every week to tell about her life in Seoul. Every vacation, she go back to Busan and spend a week there. Soon enough, Dara graduated from college and finds her first job. She would write a letter to Kris sometimes but not as frequent as before. But as time passes, they somehow lost communication. Kris would sometimes send her letters but he never received any reply from her. Everyday, he would go out to their porch and wait for Dara to come but she never came. After a year, Kris eventually grew tired of waiting and stopped sending letters and since that day he began to change. He spend most of his time hanging out with his friends and would go home in the middle of the night. He sometimes caused trouble in their school that makes his mother too upset.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

 

"Ya! Dara make sure to come on my wedding okay? Don't ever try to make some excuses bacause I won't take no for an answer." Bom says while talking to Dara on the phone.

"Arasso! I guess it's about time to go back to Busan after 5 long years. And I think this is a good time also to visit the Wu family after a long time.

Bom was her bestfriend in Busan. They met again in Seoul when she went there to find a job. After talking to Bom, she dialed the number of Wu family which she got from Bom.

"Anyeongseyo!" the guy on the other line answered

"Anyeongseyo! May I speak to Mrs. Wu please? Dara says trying to recognize the owner of the voice in the other line.

"May I know who's on the line please?" Kris replied as he also didn't recognized Dara's voice

"Please tell Mrs. Wu, its Dara!"

Kris who didn't expect that he was actually talking to Dara on the phone was surprised and became silent for a while. He felt happy because he missed her so much but at the same time he felt mad at her because she didn't kept her promise.

"Dara... Noona..." Kris mumbles as he tries to suppress the anger he is feeling right now.

"Hello, is... this Kris?" Dara says on the other line as she heard him say noona.

"I'll call mom" Kris says as he walk away from the phone and call his mother.

"Wait! I..." Dara wasn't able to finish what she was about to says because an older woman was already on the line.

Dara told Mrs. Wu if she could stay in their house for a week because she will be attending Bom's wedding. Mrs. Wu who is very happy to hear Dara's voice after a long time agrees to it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dara heaved a sigh before pressing the doorbell. It's been five years since the last time she visited there and nothing has changed. She saw Mrs. Wu open the door of their house and as soon as she saw Dara, she smile at her and immediately open their door gate.

"Welcome back! It's been a long time! You look so skinny." Mrs Wu says as she gave Dara a quick hug as soon as she open the gate.

"Yeah, I miss this place and I miss all of you!" Dara says as she hugged back.

"Let's go inside, I know you are tired." Mrs. Wu says as she helped Dara carry her luggage.

When they entered the house, she saw Kris watching television and didn't even bother to look at them.

"Kris, can you help Dara carry her luggage upstairs please? I'll go and prepare our snacks" Mrs. Wu says as soon as we entered the living room.

Kris stood up and without saying a word, he get the luggage that his mom was carrying as well as the one Dara was carrying and made his way upstairs. Dara just silently followed him behind. Kris was about to make his way back downstairs but he was caught off guard when Dara hug him from the back.

"I'm so sorry Kris-ah. I know you are mad at me because I didn't reply to any of your letters and I wasn't able to keep my promise. I understand if you won't forgive me now but please don't give me a cold treatment. I won't make any promise again but I'll try to make it up to you. I miss you..." Dara says as tears began to well up on her eyes.

"I'm sorry Dara noona but it's not that easy" Kris says as he removed the hands of Dara wrapped on his waist and made his way out of the room with a tear from his eyes. The truth is he really missed her a lot and how he longed to hug her back but he just don't have the courage to admit it. He had been secretly in love with Dara since he was 12 but when she stopped sending him letters, he became angry to her because he feels he has been rejected.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dara has been turning from her bed but she doesn't seem to get some sleep so she decided to go outside. Just at the back of the house of the Wu family is a beach so she decided to take a walk.

She was deep in her thoughts that she didn't noticed that she had already walked far enough from the Wu family house. She decided to go back but suddenly, a man grabbed her. She tried to fight back but the man was too strong for her. The man managed to pin Dara from the ground. All Dara did was cry as she gave up fighting because he was strong enough for her. But before he could do anything to her, someone punch the man on his face that caught the man off guard. The man tried to stand up and fight back but the other man punch him again before he could give him a punch. Dara could only see the fighthing figure of two men until she only see one man standing and the other man already lying on the ground. Dara couldn't recognized the man who saved her because her vision was too blurry from crying. Slowly, the man who save her walk near her. Dara tried to stand but she was too weak to do it. The man suddenly carries her with his two hands. When Dara took a good look on him, he was surprised to see the person he least expected....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Kris... How did you know that I was outside? " Dara mumbled as she realized the identity of the person who saved her earlier and now being carried by him.

"I heard the door being opened, so I went downstairs. I saw you going out of the house so I followed you behind." Kris says as he looked at Dara.

"But why? I thought you hate me?" "I.... just felt the need to follow you." Kris says as he turn his gaze away from Dara.

"Could you put me dowm please?" Dara says as she noticed Kris turning his gaze away from her. Kris did as Dara says and she puts her down.

They were sitting by side looking at the shore.

"Thank you for saving me earlier and sorry for not keeping my promise with you" Dara says as she turn her gaze on her lap. 

"Noona, I'm sorry for being cold a while ago. The truth is I really miss you and when I saw you earlier, i want to hug you tightly. But I was clouded by my anger and fear that you being with us is only for a while and soon you will be leaving again and perhaps forget about us. I don't wanna be close to you and be hurt again. I know I shouldn't be feeling this toward you because you only saw me as brother but... noona... I love you..." Kris says as he stand and make his way to their house.

But before he could take a step, Dara caught his hand that made him stop.

"I love you too Kris-ah. I stopped sending you letters because I was already falling for you and I'm afraid because that if I continue doing it, I will fall harder" Dara says as she holds one of Kris hand to stop him from walking away from her.

Kris turn his back and faced Dara. He held her chin up so he could look at her beautiful face. They stared at each other for a moment  and then  pulled Dara closer to him as he gave her a tight embrace.