Chapter 1

The one who could love

The one who could love

Chapter 1

 

*pit, pat* *pit, pat*

Little droplets of rain started to fall. I picked up my pace and struggled to get home soon. I was almost late. I walked up the path to my house and walked in. I heard heaving snoring as I walked in a breathed a sigh of relief. The house stank of beer and I recoiled my nose in disgust.

            I quietly made my way to my room, passing my father who was sleeping on the couch, the light glow of the television on his face gave me shivers.

            I quickly went up to my room and shut the door silently. I opened my back pack and brought out my journal.  I began to write about my days events.

            Today something happened. I don’t know how to feel, happy, relieved, or terrified. Mr. Daejung is going back to Korea tomorrow, he told me he got a job as the director of a school there, and that it was a great opportunity for him. He also found out about everything else. I had a meeting with him today, when he noticed the fresh scars on my wrist. He began to shout at me, saying I couldn’t do that and I t was idiotic of me. But what else am I supposed to do? I can’t deal with the pain anymore. One moment he was yelling at me and the next he was comforting me asking what was wrong. And it all came out, the last few years of my life poured out at me. You should have seen his face. He was in outraged, it scared me a bit. He asked me why I hadn’t told him sooner, but I just cried. Then he told me it would all be over soon, that it was going to be okay. Mr. Daejung is not the bad guy, he is the good guy.

            I closed my notebook and hid it especially good, I did not want my dad finding this at all. I got up and begin to undress myself, changing out of my school clothes. That when I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, and I quickly changed, knowing if he came up here while I was undressed, he would lose it.

            I quickly sat at my desk as he came in.

            “When did you get home?” he said, voice groggy and slurred.

            “Just a few minutes ago, do you need anything?” I looked over to him as I asked this.

            He was looking at something, I turned my head over to see what it was and knew I was in trouble. It was a picture of my mother, I had forgotten to put it away last night.

            I got up to put it away but it was too late. He grabbed for me and I tried to dodge but with no success. He grabbed me by the hair hard and pulled me close.

            “Why do you have that picture? Where did you get it from? YOUR MOTHER IS DEAD, SHE KILLED HERSELF, SHE DIDN’T LOVE YOU!” he yelled as he threw me to the ground, I hit the corner of my desk with my head and my vision blurred a bit. He grabbed the picture and threw it at me. Fortunately, he missed and it landed next to me, but the picture from broke and glass went everywhere.

            “Maybe if your mother was still alive you wouldn’t be such an idiot!” he said as he walked out of my room and slammed the door.

            I looked at the picture frame of my mom, and tears began to fall down my face. I went to my bed and wrapped myself in my blankets and cried. I started to feel really dizzy and I saw black.

***

            “Chara! Chara! Chara open your eyes! Everything will be okay, you’re going to be fine. You’re okay now, no one can hurt you.” I heard someone say.

            They sounded so far away, I wish they would come closer. I felt someone squeeze my hand.

***

*beep, beep, beep*

I faintly head noises that suddenly became a lot sharper. I opened my eyes and squinted at the bright lights. I sat up and looked around.

“Chara?” I heard a familiar voice say.

I looked to the left to find Mr. Daejung there.

“Mr. Daejung?” I asked, “What happened?”

“I called the cops on your father Chara. When they came you were found passed out on your bed. I was there with the cops when they arrested your dad. You’re going to be okay now, he can’t hurt you anymore, he is going to jail for a long time.” Mr. Daejung said.

I looked at Mr. Daejung for a long time. I didn’t know what to feel or to think. Suddenly the door opened and in came a man.

“Hi Chara, I’m Doctor Smith and it seems you can be released from the hospital this afternoon,” he said, stretching his hands out towards me.

I instantly flinched and tried to get away from him.

“Chara! It’s okay, he’s here to help you,” Mr. Daejung said, taking my hand.

“Im so sorry, is it Daejung? May I speak to you for a moment outside?” the doctor said.

Mr. Daejung got up to follow him and my heart started to race.

“You’re coming back right, don’t leave me here along Mr. Daejung,” I said, beginning to get up.

“Yes, I’ll be right back, and don’t be ridiculous, lie back down.” He replied, walking out the room.

The door closed around him and I was left with the noise of all the machines next to me. I looked around the room and grabbed a cup of water next to me, and drank it all in one gulp.

I wondered where I would go now that my father was in jail. I would be homeless. I had to continue school though. I had to finish school for myself.

Mr. Daejung walked back into to the room and smiled.

“How are you feeling,” he said, sitting back down at his original spot.

I nodded, smiling a bit.

“Well, once you are released later today, we will be going back to your house to pack your things. And I have some news. It seems that since you are over the age of 18, I can’t adopt you as my daughter.” He said in a rush.

“Why would you want to adopt me?” I asked, confused by his words.

“Chara, I think of you as my daughter.  When I found out what that man was doing to you, it broke my heart. You remind me of my daughter. She died when she was 11. But your personality reminds me so much of her.” Mr. Daejung said. I noticed his eyes where tearing up a bit.

“Thank you Mr. Daejung, that means a lot coming from you. I really think of you as my father to. I really do, especially after you knowing how my real one treats me. And it makes me really sad that your leaving,” I whispered, tears streaming down my face.

Mr. Daejung took my hand and smiled.

“How’s you Korean coming along Chara?” he asked abruptly.

“What?” I questioned.

“Have you been practicing like I’ve been telling you to?”

“Of course,” 

“Good,” he smiled, “cause I want you to come to Korea with me.”

 

A/N

Hi. ~(^.^)/. So, just wanted to say, Mr. Daejung is like 40, and Chara is like 18. So they dont have a relationship like that or will ever have one like that. Its a father daughter relationship! What did you think of the first chapter? Tell me if i . haha, welllllllll. HAPPY READING!

~percy <3.<3.<3.