Hung On You { Gikwang x Yemi }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Inspiration in writing this: B2ST's BREAK DOWN { https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lcjBCUvxU }


 

"Mwo? Arasseo.. I'll be there in a few minutes. Thanks for informing me." Junhyung grabbed his jacket and headed out of his apartment to hail a cab. He just received a call from a bartender at a bar, saying that Gikwang passed out from drinking too much without stopping.

Meanwhile, the latter was there, with his head resting on the cold counter and his one hand tightly gripping the half-filled glass as he continuously mumbled some incoherent words.

As soon as Junhyung arrived, he scanned around the place. After a few glances, he spotted an almost lifeless figure and walked towards him.

"What happened here?" He asked the bartender. "How long has he been here?"

"More than an hour now.. I would even stop him from drinking further but he'll get angry and yell.." The bartender told him.

Junhyung nodded. "Alright, I'll take care of things from here." He placed some bills on the counter before helping Gikwang stand.

"Ya! Are you insane? How can be so irresponsible and get wasted like this?" He raised his voice, fortunately, it was already late at night and only a few people were there. "And for your information, you are heavy.." He continued to nag as he placed his friend's arm over his shoulder and guided him out of the bar.

 

-oOo-

 

Junhyung was successfully able to send Gikwang back. As soon as they entered the house, he complained again.

"I wonder why I have to take care of you.. You are not even a little kid now.. Aish! This is so frustrating.." He then dragged Gikwang to the latter's bedroom.

"Oh?" Gikwang suddenly opened his eyes and looked up the ceiling, feeling his surrounding spin. "Ah... I'm home now?" Then he started laughing.

After a long moment of agony, Junhyung was finally able to breathe comfortably when he threw Gikwang to the bed. He watched as his friend lied there helplessly, still laughing and giggling like an insane person.

"Where's Ye... ah, what's her name again?" He laughed again and Junhyung just stared at him - more like glared. "Ye- ye- you.." He pointed to the ceiling with closed eyes. "..you who broke my heart.. hmm..." As soon as his head dropped to his right side, he fell asleep.

"Paob! It's 'Yemi' .. getting drunk doesn't make your forget a person's name.." Junhyung scoffed and left his room to give him some peace.

He plopped down on the couch and heaved a sigh, feeling very worried that his friend has been that way for the past six months already.

 

-oOo-

 

The next day, the dining table was already set with breakfast, as well as with some medicine and honey water to help with the hangover. Junhyung had left early in the morning and just asked a favor from his cousin to take over in taking care of Gikwang but he told her to call him in case there's some help needed.

"Wae?? Why?" Gikwang groaned in pain and slowly opened his eyes as he held his throbbing head. Squinting and looking around, he soon realized that he's in his own room but didn't exactly remember how he got there when he only can recall drinking alone the night before.

He tried to stand and walk towards the door but felt his insides twist so he ran to the bathroom instead and emptied his upset stomach until his face grew pale.

"Gikwang-ah!" Junhyung's worried cousin barged into his room when she heard him throwing up. "Are you alright?"

"Gwaenchanhayo..." He responded with a weak voice as he leaned against the wall to his left. "How did I get here?" He turned around and attempted to walk out from the bathroom but failed and almost collapsed to the floor. Good thing, Junhyung's cousin was there to help him up.

"Do you really not remember?" She placed him back to the bed, making him sit, but he insisted on standing up. "Junhyung fetched you from the bar. He was the one who brought you back. And ya, what do you think you're doing?" She asked when she noticed Gikwang changing his jacket and fixing his hair.

Gikwang laughed as he turned to her. "Aigoo, my pretty Nari noona.. don't worry about me." He held her shoulders and hiccuped before grinning like an idiot. "I'm just going out for some fresh air.. I'll be back soon." He already seemed a bit better during that time and he was successfully able to open his room door. "Ah, say 'thank you' to Junhyung for me.." He added before completely disappearing from Nari's sight.

 

-oOo-

 

Gikwang walked along the busy streets of the city with a heavy heart and a mind full of mixed memories.. of him together with the girl who used to be so in love with him. He figured that some of his friends, especially Junhyung, might call him later and bug him again so he decided to switch his phone off for some peaceful moments.

Walking in an open space has somehow helped him relieve of his hangover from too much alcohol intake. However, despite the loud buzzes, honks, and other noises around him, there was one sound that won't leave his head no matter how hard he tried to shake it off. I only kept on repeating like a broken record.. becoming louder and louder each time.

'Oppa, saranghae~' A smile spread across his lips as Yemi's face flashed in his mind and he could clearly hear the laugher that she used to have and it was so sweet.

'I realized that I didn't really love you.. So let's stop this illusion now...' The smile just then was instantly washed out and replaced with a frown when he recalled her serious face as she uttered those words.

"What if we never met? Maybe things would have been better.." He sighed as he looked up the sky while resting his arms on the bridge he passed by.

 

FLASHBACK:

 

"Yemi-ya!" Gikwang greeted with a wide smile as he walked towards Yemi, who was sitting at a bench fronting the beach. He leaned closer to peck her cheek but she dodged, which made him frown in confusion.

"I came here to say 'goodbye'.." Yemi stood from the bench and said those words without blinking an eye. "I'm.. marrying someone else. I realized that you're not good enough and I met someone better so-"

"Hey w-what are you saying?" Gikwang cut her off as his confusion grew even more and he stood there frozen.

"Listen to what I'm saying right now and you'll understand what this is about.. and don't try to block the truth after it wakes you up."

Yemi tried her very best so that her eyes won't betray her and show signs that she isn't completely meaning what she was saying.

Her parents were against her relationship with Gikwang from the start because of social status issues. Given that he is an orphan and grew up with no proper education, Yemi's parents wanted someone who's more capable and stable for their daughter.

Yemi, however, went against them and followed her heart. But later on, she understood that her parents knew a lot better so she decided on something half-heartedly - that was to cut ties with Gikwang for a better future for her.

Since then, she agree to go to blind dates that were arranged by her parents in order to find the most suitable one for her from the upper class.

"I.. still don't understand. D-don't you love me a-anymore? How about t-the promises?"

He had lost grip on the gift box he was holding and it fell to the ground. His heart was beating so hard against his chest out of nervousness and fear at the same time. Fear that what he doesn't want to believe at the moment was actually what she's meaning to say.

"I'm sorry.." Yemi's voice trailed off. "I realized that I didn't really love you.. So let's stop this illusion now.."

Instead of getting angry, Gikwang laughed, as if trying to push her words away although his heart said otherwise.

"Are you.. are you sure you're going to be happy with this? Is this what you really want?" He asked as some tears escaped his eyes but he wiped it right away so she wouldn't notice.

Taking one deep breath, Yemi gathered her remaining strength before speaking. "I am really sure.. And I am sorry.."

After hearing that, Gikwang managed to smile a little, though hurt, and nodded. "Then I'm letting you go.." He half-heartedly spoke before slowly walking past her with head down as he allowed his tears to finally stream down.

-end-

 

Gikwang once again looked up at the sky only to see that it was starting to get gloomy. Chuckling to himself, he mumbled, "Looks like it's going to rain.. looks like the sky is going to let the world know how I'm feeling right now." 

He tore his eyes off the grayish sky to look ahead of him when he noticed one oddly familiar figure among the sea of people. He caught a glimpse of a lady with medium-length black hair as she disappeared into the crowd. Although he was not able to see her face clearly, he was more or less sure that it was Yemi.

"Yemi..?" Her name escaped his lips once again in a form of question before he mingled with the crowd with the thin of hope that he will be able to grab a hold of her.

He started pushing other people's shoulders lightly to squeeze himself in between them as he kept on following the girl's back view with his gaze.

Taking two more steps forward, he finally reached for the girl's arm to grab it and he spun her around but total disappointment was written on his face when he saw her.. and it wasn't Yemi.

"M-mianhae.. I got the wrong person.." He apologized right away as he slightly bowed.

Feeling totally miserable and hopeless, he decided to have another drinking moment by himself and probably get drunk again to forget what just happened. But instead heading to the bar, he chose to drop by his apartment first to change clothes.

 

-oOo-

 

As he opened the front door, he was surprised to see another pair of shoes on the rack but he didn't care much and just went straight to his room. When he opened the door to his bedroom, he was greeted by Junhyung's serious face, who had arms folded across his chest, piercing a glare towards him.

"Ya! Where were you? Noona told me that you went out without saying anything plus you turned your phone off. Are you really out of your mind now?"

"Why do you even care? Just mind your own business!" Gikwang snapped back as he headed towards his closet to grab a new coat but was stopped when Junhyung gripped his arm firmly.

"Ya! Let me go..."

"Where are you going again? Ya! Why are you even being like this? Do you realize that half a year has already passed? Get back to your senses!" Junhyung raised his voice, hoping to get some sense into his friend's mind.

"You don't even understand and you never will.. so please, just let me be."

"Of course I do.. If there's someone here who understands you the most, it's me. Do you think seeing you being the same way for the past six months isn't hurting me? I am your closest friend who is almost like a brother to you.. your pain is my pain too.."

Instead of listening and understanding, Gikwang only scoffed before storming off and slamming his bedroom door, leaving a sighing Junhyung inside.

Junhyung watched him through the window as he left. He knew exactly that the same routine would happen: Gikwang will get drunk then whine about his past love again and on the next day he will be okay but before the day ends, he will throw a fit again.

 

And he realized that they won't be able to do anything to help him change unless Gikwang is the one who willingly decides to move on from his nightmare.