My Regretful Heart { Yoochun x Ara }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Written for: zzang19

Song Used: DBSK's WHY DID I FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU? { https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CkR3S5X2Fw }


 

{ 2004 }

 

It was one sunny afternoon and Yoochun was trying to get some sleep in their living room while hugging his pillow tightly when he heard several hammering and moving of furniture. Groaning and tossing around, he pulled the pillow closer to cover his ears but it didn't help the situation and the noise only continued and gradually became louder.

Groaning yet again, a little louder this time, he stood from the couch and threw the small pillow aside before marching towards their front door. He grabbed the knob and roughly pulled it, only to be greeted by the bright sunlight.

"Aish! Why is it so hot today?" He complained before walking out a little further to look for the source of the noise. He was earlier informed that there will be new neighbors but he didn't exactly know where. Suddenly, his head snapped to the right when he heard a voice, followed by a thud.

"Omo omo omo~ AH!"

A girl fell to the ground and there were several boxes beside her, some in front of her. Yoochun scurried over to help her.

"Gwaenchanhayo?" He crouched down beside her and noticed that her knee had a big scratch. "Omo! You're bleeding. We should get that treated." He held her leg and she flinched a bit. When he looked up, their eyes met briefly before she turned her gaze away.

"I-I will be fine. I will just ask my mom to clean it for me." The girl pulled her leg back and tried to slowly stand but she failed.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Yoochun helped her by holding her arm, his other hand watching her back. After making sure she's back on her feet, he gathered the containers and boxes one by one then piled it again.

"Gomawoyo~ I hope I didn't burden you.." He heard her speak again.

He turned around to face her. "Ani, it's alright. Helping others is good." Then smiled. "So... you're the new neighbor?"

"Ne.. We're staying here." She pointed to the unit that was just a house away from Yoochun's. She smiled back at him and it was like the sweetest smile he's seen that his heart almost melted right at that moment. "Ah! I'm sorry for the noises by the way, it's just that the house wasn't that furnished yet. I hope you don't mind." She added.

"I see.. and it's alright.." Yoochun looked at the house she's pointing at before turning to her again. "By the way, what's your name? I'm Yoochun." He extended his arm for a shake and she gladly shook it right away.

"Ara~ Park Ara." She smiled again.

"Park? Whoa, we even have the same surname." Yoochun chuckled and Ara also laughed a little.

"By the way, do you want to come over for housewarming? Hmm maybe tomorrow since it's still pretty unorganized today." He was surprise by her sudden offer.

"Really? Can we? Then I will tell my mom to prepare something good to give to your family." His wide smile still hasn't left his face.

"Ne, since you're the first new neighbor to welcome me." Ara nodded and smiled.

Then both of them brought the boxes inside the house. That day was the first time they've met but instantly, they were able to click and share stories with each other comfortably.. like they were destined to become friends. Yoochun even forgot about his disrupted sleep already since he was currently having fun with Ara.

He stayed there in their house after helping carry the things in without even realizing how many hours he has been gone from home and not knowing that his mother already started to worry about him.

Soon enough, he heard some loud voices coming from outside so he took a peek through the curtains and saw his mother talking to other ladies in the subdivision - that's when he realized that he had been away for quite some time already.

"Omo! My mom is looking for me." He stood from the couch. "I must have been too caught up in the conversation that I didn't notice the time." Yoochun scratched the back of his head. "Umm.. please tell your mom that I said 'thank you' for letting me stay today. I'll come tomorrow with my mom." He smiled and waved at Ara before stepping out of the house.

He headed straight home and that night. While  they were having dinner, Yoochun told his mom everything he learned about their new neighbor.. as well as the plan of coming over for the housewarming and his mother happily agreed to go and greet them.

 

-oOo-

 

As agreed, Yoochun and his mother went over to Ara's for the housewarming celebration the next day, bringing with them some food that they've prepared. His father, however, wasn't able to join because of a sudden business trip overseas.

That day.. that visit.. helped Yochun and Ara's friendship grow a little more as both of them learned quite more things about each other. He found out that she was the only child in the family and that they're just the same age. He opened to her too about the school he's in and convinced her to transfer there so they will be classmates.

"Arasseo~ I'll transfer there and accompany you." Ara smiled.

"Jinjja?" Yoochun brightened up

"Mhm~" She nodded and brought her pinkie finger up, interlocking it with his.

It didn't take long before the two became best friends. They would always go and stick to each other and it's almost like no one would be able to tear them apart. Ara felt really happy and secured because in an instant, she gained both a best friend and a brother-figure.. something that she hasn't experienced before.

Going to school together, heading back together, doing assignments and projects together, having meals together, spending leisure time together, and many more.. this was their routine but neither of them got tired of it.

There were only few instances when Ara would get slightly annoyed because Yoochun's overprotective side often came out. He would worry if groups of guys would suddenly crowd her in school or approach her, wanting to befriend her and he would always say that they have ulterior motives for wanting to becoming friends but Ara would just laugh at him and tell him not to worry too much because she's not interested in them. Still, Yoochun didn't let his guard down and continued to silently look after her.

Days.. weeks.. months.. years have passed by but nothing changed in their relationship. Their bond was still as strong as ever despite the many ups and downs that they have gone through. Other people would even say that they really have a friendship to be envied because of their closeness.

 

{ 5 years later }

Time seemed to have flown by fast and the years they spent together in high school came to an end. Yoochun was saddened by this because of the possibility that Ara and he will want to take up different careers in college.. but moreover because he recently discovered that he grew feelings for her and didn't want to be away from her. At first he thought it could only be the brother-sister type but as more time passed, it became clear to him that he liked her on a different level.

He was seated there on a swing at the park and looking at the sky while deep in his thoughts when suddenly, a voice called out.

"Chunnie!"

He looked up and saw Ara, who looked especially different and beautiful that day. Usually, she would only wear a plain shirt, paired with simple jeans and sneakers with her hair tied up in a bun. She might have learned to behave and act boyish because she was always hanging around with Yoochun. But the Ara in front of him right now is a lady.

She was wearing a pastel-colored dress..

 

.. paired with pink doll shoes and her jet black hair was let down to one side, letting her natural waves freely flow.

Ara had been standing there for some seconds already but she noticed that Yoochun was quite spacing out so she snapped her fingers to get him back to reality, and she succeeded.

"Ya! Finally, you reacted~ I thought I was talking to the air~" Ara joked as she took a seat on the other swing.

"Oh.. d-did you stand long? Sorry I was thinking of something else." Yoochun spoke while still staring at her.

"Wae? What is it?" She leaned her face close to his. "Why are you staring at me like that? Is there something wrong with my face or what I'm wearing?" She tapped her cheeks before looking at her dress.

"A-ani, it's just that you looked different. I've never seen you in a dress before." Yoochun cleared his throat to hide the nervousness he's feeling and slightly looked away. "But ya, what has gotten into you that you decided to change your style?" He suddenly laughed at her, making her frown.

"Wae? Does it look awkward? I just thought... I'd do it for a change. And after all, I'm a lady~" Ara reasoned.

But there's actually another reason why she dressed like that.. it was her 18th birthday so her mother made a little request to see her in a dress again after a long time.

Yoochun, of course, knew about her birthday. In fact, he told her to meet at the park because there's something he wanted to give her. His mind probably just went blank after seeing a different side of his best friend.

"Do you really not remember what today is?" Ara puffed her cheeks as her eyes focused to the ground and Yoochun's grin grew wide while looking at her saddened expression.

"Aigoo.. are you sulking?" He then pinched her right cheek lightly. "How can I forget my best friend's birthday? Of course I remember.." He told her and her face immediately brightened. "And I wanted to meet here to give this.." He took something from his pocket and asked for Ara's hand before wearing it around her wrist.

 

 

"There.." Yoochun smiled upon seeing how perfectly it matched her. "The color is even pink.. just like what you're wearing today."

"Omo~ gomawo, Chunnie.."

"Happy birthday." He smiled. "I hope you'll always wear it so you won't forget that I am your best friend."

"Of course I wouldn't forget such important fact!" Ara suddenly embraced him from the side, wrapping her arms around his neck, taking him aback.

"A-ah by the way.." Yoochun released the hug and looked at her and attempted to divert his attention by opening up another topic. "So.. we'll be starting college life soon, huh?" He chuckled. "What are you planning to take?"

"I really want to try fashion design.. I've already enrolled for it. How about you?"

"Aww too bad. I want to take up music. I thought we'd have the same interest but I guess not." He sighed as he looked ahead of them.

"Ya, what's with the sigh and the long face?" Ara laughed at him and punched his left arm lightly. "We'd still be in the same university anyway. I decided to be where you are." She smiled.

"Really? You're not kidding, right?" Yoochun turned to her.

"I'm serious.." She calmly replied and he suddenly hugged her, without thinking twice.

"Yes! That's great then." He can't help but smile widely upon hearing her words. 

"Are you that happy? Haha~" Arla tapped his back twice. "By the way, can we get some ice cream? Please treat this birthday girl." She beamed.

Releasing the hug, Yoochun stood from the swing and pulled her long by her right hand.

"Ice cream right now? But.. isn't there a party in your house?"

"Hmm.. no party since we already had a lunch out earlier.. that's also the reason why I'm wearing a dress right now."

"Ya, you had lunch out but didn't invite me? How could you?"

"Well, you weren't around earlier and I thought you were busy too so I didn't try to contact you. I'm sorry~" Ara hugged his arm as the two of them made way to the ice cream parlor nearby.

"Ah right.. do you remember that guy who had a crush on me during high school days?" She laughed as recalled it. "Well, he'll be going to the same school as you.. I received an e-mail from him saying that.."

"Mwo??"

"Ya, what's with the super shocked reaction?" She poked Yoochun's cheek.

"A-ani.." He opened the door for her as they arrived and let her step inside first.

"Aw thank you~" She smiled widely then walked towards the counter right away.

'No.. I don't want him to be near you again.. especially now that I know what you truly mean to me.. Call me selfish but I want you to be next to me only..'

Yoochun thought as she watched the happy Ara picking flavors she would like to have.

"So... what course will he be taking up?" He asked her as he leaned against the steel bar, his tone a bit different from earlier.

"Kamsahamnida~" Ara took the ice cream cones and bowed to the lady behind the counter before turning to Yoochun. "What's with the sudden serious tone? And by the way, here's your ice cream.. go pay for it and mine too.." She stretched her arm out and grinned. "Oh and about his course.. I don't know. We aren't close enough to share that much things."

Yoochun just nodded and kept eating his ice cream before it melted. They must have spent a lot of time talking because they didn't realize that it started to get dark outside.

"Oh? Didn't we just get here?" Ara asked him as she glanced from her watch to him then back to her watch. "Is this watch broken?" She unstrapped it from her wrist then shook it sideways. "Ya, I remember when we first met.. you stayed in our house for a couple of hours that your mom started worrying.."

The entire time she was talking, Yoochun was just staring at her.. half-listening to what she's saying. After they finished two cones of ice cream each and ran out of topics to talk about, they agreed to go home. Both were silent on their way home as neither wanted to talk.. probably exhausted from the long day. As they reached Ara's house, Yoochun finally decided to speak fist.

"Have a good sleep, okay? And.. we might not see much of each other this coming week since I will really be busy with the enrollment and other stuff.."

"Really?? That's really bad.." Ara frowned a bit then sighed. "But it's alright since I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again when classes start, right?"

"I guess so.." Yoochun smiled at her then patted her head lightly. "Go inside now, grown-up princess." Both of them laughed before saying a proper goodbye then parted ways.

Yoochun stayed true to his words.. he didn't meet with Ara for the whole week.There were times when they would run into each other because obviously, they are neighbors but they would only say 'hi' or wave to each other at most.

Complying with the many university requirements was partly a reason but other than that, he wanted to spend soe time away from Ara in oder to sort his growing feelings for her.

 

- firs day of college; in the univ -

Ara was walking around the campus while looking at her schedule sheet that she was holding. She stopped in her tracks and sighed as she looked around. 'I wonder where Chunnie is.. it's been a long time and I miss him now.' She thought.

After some minutes of walking and trying to familiarize the place, someone who seemed to be having a difficult time around suddenly approached her.

"Um.. excuse me, do you know where's the-"

"Daeho? Is that you?" Ara cut him off as soon as she recognized him. "Ya, it's me.. Ara.. Park Ara." She smiled at him.

It took a little time before the person finally reacted positively, "Park Ara? Is that really you? But.. you look different.. I didn't recognize you just now."

"Really? But nothing really changed except my age.. haha~"

"I think it's about how you carry yourself.." Daeho commented truthfully.

The two of them walked to the open field, with Ara leading the way. She kept her eyes on the brochure as she reviewed her schedule while listening to him talk about past incidents and experiences.

"By the way, what's the course you enrolled for?" She asked him after they took a seat on the bleachers.

"Oh.. you might laugh upon knowing." Daeho rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled to himself.

"I promise I won't~ I'm curious.."

"Fashion design.." He finally said. "I know it's mostly a female course but-"

"Really?? Then we're the same!" Ara shook his arm, not letting him finish his statement. "Ah, sorry.. I'm just so happy I already have someone I know as classmate."

Daeho chuckled. "It's alright.. So we have a class in an hour, right?"

"Ne, let's go now? I'll help you get familiarized with the place."

 

-oOo-

 

"My beautiful mom, annyeong.." Yoochun greeted his mother on the phone with a cheerful tone. He was standing in front of the piano room with his arms resting on the railings. "The professor said that he'll give us few days for adjustment period so there will be no formal classes for now."

"So will you be home early today?" His mom asked from the other line.

"I'll have to see first. Maybe I'll wait for Ara to finish her classes and then we'll go together."

"Aww it's always about Ara now? You mom is jealous." She joked then laughed.

"Aigoo, but of course.. you're the number in my heart, eomma. Always.." Yoochun assured her. "Ah, I'll hang up now so I can call Ara. See you later, eomma. I love you."

After ending the phone call with his mother, he called Ara right away to ask where she was. As he waited for her to pick up, He looked around for a bit and spotted two people walking along the covered walk, with one of them being pretty familiar to him. Then he saw the girl searched through her bag and took her phone out to receive a call.. that's when he confirmed that it was really Ara.. together with another guy.

"Chunnie~" Ara greeted as she answered the call, her tone obviously happy.

"I have no class yet so I decided to call you. Did I disturb you?" Yoochun responded, still not taking his eyes off them as he watched them walk towards the front of the auditorium.

"Ani~ not at all since classes won't start until half an hour. Ah! By the way, this is really funny.." She laughed before continuing, "Remember Jung Daeho?" She glanced at Daeho. "We have the same course! It's rare for guys to take this course, right? So I was surprised.. well at least I already have someone whom I know.." Yoochun only listened to her as he studied her expression from afar. She was really radiant at that moment.

"Chunnie? Ya, Park Yoochun, are you listening?" Ara suddenly asked when she felt that the other line became silent. "You didn't hang up on me, did you?" She raised her left eyebrow.

"Oh? Ah, of course.. I am listening. By the way, should we go home together later?" Responded the distracted Yoochun.

"Hmm? I'm not really sure. It depends, I guess. But you can go home ahead if you don't have school stuff to do anymore."

"Oh is that so? Arasseo, I guess you should hang up now if you're busy." His tone slightly changed with a hint of disappointment and jealousy.

What Yoochun was worrying about is slowly becoming a reality. College life wasn't as easy as he thought. Even though he and Ara are in the same university, they haven't spent that much time together like when they were in high school, it's also because they have different careers that they wanted to pursue.

They were neighbors who live really close to each other but are slowly becoming like strangers. But Yoochun doesn't blame Ara for being extra busy with her curricular activities because it was the same case for him. He only hopes that that there will be a day when they can be like before again.. feeling carefree and spending more time with each other.

A month has passed by since some changes have occurred. One of the things that he had taken clear notice of was Ara's sudden closeness with Daeho. But he thought to himself that it's only normal since they're both in the same course and he should not worry too because he knew Ara wasn't interested in any guy at the moment. Although at times, he still can't help but feel uneasy.

Yoochun's feelings for Ara never wavered. There were a few times when he had tried or planned to tell her about it but only fails every time, either because something urgent comes to interrupt them or he's suddenly being eaten by his nervousness that he can't speak.

The university soon held its Foundation Day and all students were freed from classes. Yoochun felt happy about this and took the opportunity to meet with Ara and finally confess his feelings that have long been kept.

Gripping tightly on his phone, he pondered on what to text Ara when he received a call. Without looking at the screen, he answered it.

"Chunnie~ No plans for today yet? I was thinking we could spend this day together." Ara's voice still sounded cheerful even though she was a little bit tired due to lack of sleep.

"Ara!" Yoochun's face immediately brightened. "It feels great to hear your voice after quite some time." Both of them chuckled. "I was actually just about to send you a message. Where do you want to meet?"

"Hmm how about by the pool area? You also like to walk around there during your vacant periods, right?"

"Ne, I do. I'll see you in five minutes then." He ended the call first and hurried over to the gym. He's gathered courage again and decided that he will tell her everything this time no matter what happens.

 

-oOo-

 

Ara arrived earlier than Yoochun. She strolled around the area with a cup of iced tea in her right hand. She glanced at the clear blue sky then at the pool water. Seeing how calm and peaceful it was made her a bit envious. If only she could be that way even just for a while, she'd be really happy. The silence was suddenly interrupted by a loud cough and when Ara turned around to the direction, she broke into a wide smile upon seeing Yoochun.

"Ya, you're late by two minutes." She pretended to scold as she pointed to her wrist watch.

"Aigoo, and now you're being very conscious about time?" He laughed as he approached her before sitting on the bleachers. Ara took a seat beside him.

"It's really good to see after the past days of being busy." Ara looked at him and smiled. "Iced tea..?" She offered to him.

"Ya, you should have ordered another cup if you were planning on treating me." He ruffled her hair. "And what do you mean by days? It's been weeks."

"I know.. haha~"

"Ara.." He suddenly held her left hand gently and looked straight into her eyes. "I.."

"M-mwo? Wae?" She only smiled at him.

"I have something to say.. I've wanted to say this for a long time now but I think I always had a bad timing. Actually.." He took one deep breath. "Actually I.."

"Oh?" Ara looked behind Yoochun when she heard the door opened. "Ah, Dae, you're here now." She pulled her hand back and stood to welcome her friend.

"I invited him here.. I hope you don't mind." Ara smiled and Yoochun just nodded.

She then introduced the guys just in case they have forgotten about each other. Yochun only sighed, feeling disappointed in himself. He could have just told her right away but he can't bring himself to, for some reason. To make things worse, someone else just had to join them when he thought he could finally spend some time with Ara alone.

"Ah, how could I forget your overprotective brother?" Daeho laughed then turned to Yoochun. "Park Yoochun, right? I hope you still remember me."

"Ne, and of course.. how could I forget the guy who gets near Ara every time he gets a chance? That guy who was always annoying during high school days.." Yoochun responded, trying not to sound so annoyed.

Daeho tried to sit beside Ara but Yoochun blocked his way so he just sat beside the latter instead.

"By the way, isn't he your oppa?" Daeho asked Ara but Yoochun interrupted.

"We're just the same age."

"Really? I honestly thought you were older." Daeho looked at Yoochun.

"Haha.. what made you think that?" Ara asked.

"Maybe because of how he's overprotective of you.."

"Oh right.. Chunnie, did you know that Daeho and I share the same birthday? It's really amazing." She tapped Yoochun's arm. "So cool..." She grinned.

"Yeah.. I think this is what they call destiny.." Daeho laughed but Yoochun didn't seem pleased.

"So what was that you're about to tell me? You what?" Ara recalled after forgetting for a moment.

"Oh that? Ani, it's not that important. Omo, I almost forgot that I needed to do something." He stood up then tapped Daeho's arm. "Keep her company, okay? I have to go ahead.."

"Y-ya, I thought we could spend the whole day together?" Ara puffed her cheeks as she waited for an answer.

"I also thought I'd be able to.. but then I remembered about our task for the next meeting. We were asked to compose a short piece." He obviously lied to her to cover up. "Alright, I'll go now. I'll make it up next time." He smiled and ruffled Ara's hair before leaving the area.

He thought he could finally tell her everything but he was wrong. He hated himself at the moment for not having much courage and seeing Daeho there only added to his concerns. He had some thought in his mind like what if Ara and Daeho become closer and she slowly forgets about him.

Fate hasn't been so good to them because after that day, the hectic schedule in school has eaten up much of their time again.

Another couple of months has passed and it was still the same for them. Yoochun spent most of the time in the university's music room to practice piano while Ara often goes to other places to research more about her course and, of course, Daeho is always with her. But the two of them were able to make an agreement to make time for each other once every week.

One morning when Yoochun was free, he decided to call Ara and asked her to meet at the park, where they ususally meet, saying that he has news.

"Chunnie~" Ara called out and ran towards him. "I have some news too."

"Really? Oh, how about we say it at the same time?" Yoochun suggested.

"That's a good idea. I'll count up to three. 1..2..3.."

 

"I'll be studying overseas."

"I now have a boyfriend~"

 

"You.. what?" Yoochun frowned the moment he heard those words from her. "Since.. when?" He almost dropped the papers he was holding as his voice reduced to a whisper.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. Well, I didn't get a chance because you know how busy we both are." Ara gave him an apologetic smile.

"Ani.. I was just surprised. Congrats! I thought you didn't like him but I guess people change after all." He chuckled to hide the fact that he was actually hurt by the sudden revelation. "I was chosen to be sponsored abroad. I will further my studies there. I'm leaving tomorrow." He chose to divert the topic and stop asking her further questions about her new relationship.

"M-mwo? That's good. It'll be a good opportunity for you.. but.. it means we won't be seeing each other for the entire time, right?" Ara couldn't help but to feel saddened too.

"We can still keep in touch anyway.." He paused and glanced at the papers on his hand. "So.. that's all I came here for.. I'll be going now then. I'll see you in a few years from now, ne?" He smiled a bit before walking away but Ara called out, making him turn to her again.

"Jamkanman!" She ran towards him and embraced him tightly. "I'm going to miss you a lot.."

Yoochun patted her back lightly, not even returning the embrace. "Don't be like this or your boyfriend will get jealous." He laughed. "Arasseo, I'll leave now. Take care, okay?" He ruffled Ara's hair before completely walking away.

That was the last time the two of them saw each other during college. Yoochun flew to the States the next day, first thing in the morning but Ara chose not to go to the airport to send him off because she might just stop him from going. They kept the promise to keep in touch but since it will be impossible to stay in contact through phone due to the expensive costs, they communicated through e-mails instead.

Yoochun continued his music course there as he majored in piano. His schedule in the US wasn't as hectic as that in Seoul so he had more spare time to call his mother and Ara whenever he misses them though web. Ara, on the other hand, became more serious and studious with her designing ideas. She learned more through the years and things went easy for her.. thanks to Daeho too, who never left her alone.

 

{ 5 years later; present time }

Days became years in a snap of a finger. It didn't sink into Yoochun's system yet that he has already graduated and that he's about to return to Korea too. He has been in contact with Ara and been updated with each other's activity but they didn't get to talk for the past few weeks that's why he thought it would be better to surprise her about his arrival.

 

-oOo-

 

"Eomma~ Faster please or we'll be late." Ara called out to her mother who was not yet done dressing up. That day holds special for Daeho because there will be fashion show showcasing his designs.

"Arasseo, I'm done now. Let's go." Her mother walked out to the living room after she was done touching up. "Aigooo, why would they even organize events like this when it's afternoon and the sun is up and shining brightly?" She was about to leave the house when she received an e-mail notification from Yoochun.

'Imo, I'm arriving in Korea soon.. but please don't tell Ara. I want to surprise her.'

"What is it, eomma?" Ara tried to take a peek but her mother hid her phone right away. "Oh, nothing.. and why are you peeking at someone else's phone like that?"

"Alright, if you say so. Let's go to the venue now. I'm sure Daeho's already there." They left the house and rode Ara's white car.

 

-oOo-

 

Yoochun grabbed his last bag from the conveyer and placed it in the pushcart before heading out of the airport. Finally, he's back in Korea. He looked around him and took one deep breath before hailing a cab.

'I can't wait to see you again, Ara.' He thought.

The drive wasn't that long and soon, he reached home. His mother didn't know either that he was coming home so she was really surprised to see him the moment she opened their front door and they shared a very tight embrace..

"Ah eomma.. I can't stay long right now. I asked Ara's mom for help to meet her without her knowing. I'm heading to the park now. I'll be back later, okay?" He immediately rushed out, not giving his mother a chance to react.

 

-oOo-

 

The fashion show ended successfully and it made Daeho really happy. He was about to invite Ara and her mother for an early dinner when the latter said that they needed to be home early because of some urgent matters. Daeho nodded in understanding and went to send them off.

As soon as they reached home, Ara's mother told her to head to the park right away. She wondered for a moment but then complied. She briskly walked to the park which wasn't that far from their house and when she was nearing, she saw a familiar figure whose back was facing her.

"C-Chunnie?" She slowly approached the person sitting on the swing.

Yoochun then stood from the swing then turned around to face her. "Ne, it's me! Surprised to see me?" He smiled widely as he opened his arms to her.

"Omo~ It's really you!" Ara squealed and ran to embrace him as tight as she can. "When did you come back? Ya, why didn't you tell me?" She slapped his arm jokingly.

"I wanted to surprise my best friend. How have you been?" He pretended to examine her face when they pulled away from the embrace. "I think you got prettier over the years." He laughed

"Ah.. by the way.. do you remember that time at the pool.. when I said I'd tell you something?" He opened the topic out of the blue.

Ara nodded. "Ne, what about it?"

"I think it's about time I tell you.. after hiding it for years now.. I just want to let you know about it anyway."

"Ya, just say it. You're making me more curious." Ara pinched his nose and laughed.

He was about to already tell her when they were interrupted by her phone's ringing. Sighing, Yoochun signaled to her to take the call.

Ara nodded then answered her phone. "Ne, yeobo?"

"Have you reached home?" Daeho asked.

"We've arrived safely.. don't worry"

"Don't forget about our appointments tomorrow, okay?"

"Ne~~ sajangnim, I won't forget." Ara teased then laughed. "Arasseo, I'll hang up now. I shall see you tomorrow. Bye~~"

"Was that Daeho?" Yoochun asked when the phone conversation ended.

"Ne.." Ara placed her phone back in her bag when she saw that there was once card left. She took it out and handed it to Yoochun.

"By the way, I might as well give that to you before I forget." She smiled at him.

"What's this?" Yoochun took the card from her and his eyes widened upon opening it. "W..edding invi-" He blinked and looked at her. "-tatiion.. You're getting married??" He asked in disbelief.

"Yeah.. we have finally decided to settle down. Seems a bit early, right?" Ara chuckled. "I'm sorry I wasn't able to tell you sooner because I had been busy with my fashion show."

'Oh' was all Yoochun could respond as he was still trying to process everything while he slowly read through the invitation. It slowly became clear to him when he saw Daeho's and Ara's names printed in bold. He just came from a long and tiring trip but the jet lag seemed nothing now compared to the sudden news he received.

"By the way, what was it that you're about to say?" Ara asked. "I'm sorry if I'm always cutting you off." Then she laughed.

"Ani.. it's not your fault. Ah, I was just going to say that I'm going to apply as a music professor in our university. I hope to get your support." He told another lie but was able to state it convincingly.

"Jinjja? Of course I would! Hwaiting!" Ara smiled widely as she held her fist up.

The wedding's in a month's time and everyone's been busy preparing for it. Even Yoochun helped in little details, even though it would only hurt him more. If it means making his best friend happy, then he's willing to sacrifice.

He watched as Ara and Daeho took pictures together for the photo shoot, he was there with them as they bought souvenir items, helping them choose, he assisted in distributing the remaining wedding invitations to other family members and family friends, and colleagues, he was even there with Ara when she was fitting wedding gowns because she asked him to help her pick the most suitable one.

 

'It doesn't matter what you choose, you'll still look beautiful in it. But how I wish it was me instead of him...'

 

- wedding day -

It was about time. Yoochun was pacing back and forth their balcony as he was pondering whether or not to attend. Ara had asked a special favor from him to be the pianist for their wedding and it was because the request came from her that he found it difficult to refuse. After giving it some thought, he finally decided to go even thought he knows it will break his heart into pieces.

 

-oOo-

 

"Omona~ You look the prettiest today!" Ara's mother spoke as both hands covered her own mouth in astonishment.

"Ya eomma, aren't you being exaggerated?" Ara laughed as her hair and makeup were still being done, her eyes not leaving the mirror.

"I'm just really happy. My only daughter is finally getting married! Ah by the way, is Yoochun coming?"

"I'm sure he is.. I asked him to be the special pianist."

"Is everything done now?" Ara's mother asked as her daughter was asked to stand and the coordinator fixed her gown. She was then lead to the hall and out to the car.

 

'This is finally my big day!' Ara thought to herself as she smiled widely.

 

-oOo-

 

Guests and relatives were already instead the church, while the others were outside and they're all waiting for the bride to arrive. Yoochun was already at the front part, sitting in front of the big piano. His mind was filled with thoughts of her and all the possible things that might happen later.

"The bride has arrived! We'll start the procession now."

He heard the coordinator's voice echo throughout the big hall and he took this a cue to start playing the opening song. He watched as the groom slowly walked along the aisle until reaching the foot of the altar to patiently wait for the bride. Still, he tried his best to keep composed even though he already feels like breaking down at that point. Whenever he felt that a tear would escape his eye, he'll look up to prevent it from coming out.

Finally, the moment came.. the huge doors slowly opened, revealing Ara who looked very eye-catching in her long white gown, studded with diamonds. Yoochun's eyes were instantly glued to her and followed her as she walked down the aisle. When she was only a few steps to the altar, Yoochun had accidentally pressed the wrong key when he noticed that Ara wasn't wearing the bracelet that he gave, causing some whispers from the audience to occur.. but he immediately apologized when he realized what happened.

The song ended and they proceeded with the mass and the ceremony. Yoochun, however, remained in his place as he watched the couple received blessings and happily exchanged vows. But as soon as the exchanging of rings came, he felt like he couldn't stand watching so he stood up and left the hall. He stayed outside until the ceremony was finished. In his right hand was a letter - a goodbye letter - that he was supposed to give to her even before her wedding day. Looking down at it, he pondered again before finally making up his mind... he's going to give it to her before he leaves.

The big doors opened once again and out came the newly-wedded couple, smiling widely, being congratulated by the people around with loud claps and cheers. Yoochun was standing there in a far end with a bitter smile on his lips. Then tucking the letter back into his right pocket, he slowly walked towards them as he took a deep breath.

"Mrs. Jung!" He called out to Ara and took her right hand to shake it lightly and Ara slightly blushed, still feeling uncomfortable being addressed that way. "Congratulations.." This time he gave a genuine smile before turning to Daeho and doing the same.

"Please take good care of her.. I trust you in this." He tapped Daeho's arm once before taking a step backwards.

"Chunnie, wae? Ya, you sound like a father who's giving a final message before he leaves for a far place." Ara joked and laughed.

"Ne, I received a call this morning from the States.. saying that they need me there again for a special function. I'm afraid I have to go really soon." Yoochun sighed. "Have fun in your honeymoon, ne?" He winked, teasing the both of them before turning around to leave.

It wasn't true that he was called back to the States. It was a sudden decision of his to leave Seoul again because he doesn't think he would be able to stand running into Ara and Daeho from time to time if they live near each other. He has given her all the support he could and this was limit.. going beyond this point will only break him more.

He went home and packed his things again but he didn't take much clothes. He took one deep breath as he descended the stairs slowly then took one last look around the house before stepping out and closing the door behind him.

Yoochun hung his head and sighed heavily before reaching for the letter in his pocket. Walking to Ara's porch, he took the letter out then crouched down to slip in under the front door. He knows Ara might not be home for the meantime but at least her mother would be able to see the letter and inform her about it.

After making sure he has done what he has to, he stood and slowly walked away from that place, not even turning around to have one last look.

 

-oOo-

 

The letter read:

 

Mrs. Jung.. :) Ne, I mean you... you better get used to people calling you like that, arasseo? Anyway, by the time this letter reaches you, I'm sure I'm already back in the States. I was supposed to leave before your wedding but I don't want to you to be sad on your special day.. and since you had requested a special favor from me, I just can't decline it. I guess it will just be my wedding gift to you. Take care of Daeho, okay? And love him like he loves you. I know you didn't like him at first but I guess you were fated to be with each other. Have a blessed married life! I wish you all the best.. I mean it.

Oh! And about what I wanted to tell you since we were in school.. are you still curious about it? If so, I suggest that you just forget it.. I think it's best if I keep it a secret. Maybe in time, I'll also forget about it.

P.S. Don't try to look for me, okay? Your husband might get jealous! Haha :)

Bye now, Mrs. Jung.. I hope we'll see each other again.

 

- Your best friend, Chunnie

 

-