Her words that pierced his heart { Yoseob x JaeEun x Dongwoon }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Written for: guardianstar

Song Used: B2ST's Easy (Sincere Ver.) { http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778IrQCPF0I }


 

'Ringgggggggggggggggg'

The alarm clock had rung for the umpteenth time already but Yoseob only kept ignoring it and just continued to sleep. Moments later, his cell phone started ringing simultaneously with the alarm clock.

"Aish, jinja! Who would it be at this hour?" He grumbled before reaching his arm out, trying to grasp where his phone was then roughly brought it to his ear. "Nugu-ya? Is the matter so important that you can not wait until some other time for it?" He angrily said to his caller without opening his eyes.

"Ya, are you insane? What early? It's now time for the second period.'' The person on the other line spoke while looking at his watch. "Are you lazing around again?"

"Mwo??" Yoseob almost shouted then shot up to look at the time before letting out a heavy sigh. Indeed, it was already late and yet he didn't realize.

"Ne, ne! I'll be there in a few moments. Wait for me by the lobby, arasseo?" Then he ended the call and threw his phone aside, making it almost fall off the bed.

He normally wasn't like that. He would usually be so early in the campus even before the classes start and teachers arrive, but this week has been different... more likely because of one person who made a very big impact on him.

 

--- oOo ---

[ 15 minutes later; at the campus lobby ]

 

"This person! He'll surely get it from me when he arrives." Hyunmin, Yoseob's friend, mumbled to himself as he kept trying to reach Yoseob but the latter's hand phone could not be reached. After a few more minutes, Yoseob finally arrived calmly as if nothing was wrong.

"Ya! What time is it now? You arrived only now? What's wrong with you lately? Seriously.. you are not this type of person who would dare skip classes and --"

"Is that how you greet me now? Really?" Yoseob sat beside Hyunmin and playfully punched his friend's arm. "You know the situation, right? It's not that I'm doing it on purpose but I just really have no mood lately."

"Is this still about her? I thought the both of you would be happy to see each other again but what is this strange atmosphere around you guys?"

Hyunmin was talking about JaeEun, Yoseob's first love.. or was it really love? It has been two weeks since she has returned from her exchange student program in Taipei and is now going to continue her studies in Seoul. Unfortunately, things between her and Yoseob have not been the same like how it were when they first met.

Yoseob was still drowning in his thoughts at the moment when his cell phone rang once again, bringing him back to reality.

"Hello?" He answered in a plain tone. "Oh? Ah, ne. I didn't come because I was feeling quite unwell." Hyunmin was just looking at him as he continued with the conversation. "Where should we meet?'' Yoseob stood while looking around the place. "Arasseo, I'll be there soon." He ended the call as soon as he said that, not giving the person on the other line a chance to reply.

"Who was that? Why do you look so plain right now?" Asked the curious Hyunmin.

"JaeEun.. she called to say that she wants to meet. She..." Yoseob paused to sigh before continuing, "she sounded happy. I wonder what she's going to tell me. Will it be about him.. or them?"

"Yah, what do you mean 'about them'? We aren't even sure about what kind of relationship they have, right? Well anyway, do you need me to go with you?"

"Ani, thanks for the concern but I'll be fine alone. I'll get going now then." Yoseob tapped his friend's shoulder before leaving.

Their meeting place wasn't that far from the lobby but it took him quite a long time to reach because he was once again drowned in his own thoughts. Suddenly, he remembered that day when JaeEun has just returned.

 

Flashback:

"Omona! Have you guys heard the news?" One of their classmates rushed inside the classroom. "Yoon JaeEun is back in Korea! She came back yesterday, if I'm not mistaken." Upon hearing this, Yoseob's head immediately shot up and looked at the girl who was talking. "Are you sure about that? Who told you?" He asked her, cutting her words while she was still saying something.

Almost the whole class is excited about this because JaeEun was the first exchange student and they are all excited to know how it feels so they wanted to ask her about the whole experience.

"You know the news, they spread quite fast."  Soyoung, the one who brought the news, told him.

Yoseob wasted no time and ran to the quadrangle and true enough, JaeEun has just entered the campus gate, smiling her brightest smile, being crowded with some of their schoolmates.

"JaeEun-ah! Omo~ How is it there?"

"Did they treat you well?"

"Did you get a lot of new friends?"

They bombarded JaeEun with questions as she was walking towards their classroom and she was just smiling at them in return.

"JaeEunnie!" Yoseob exclaimed and ran to give her a hug as soon as she almost reached their classroom door. "How are you? I missed you so much. You should have told me that you're coming back. You didn't even give me a call." Yoseob suddenly released his embrace, pretending to be upset, to which JaeEun only laughed as a response.

"I'm so sorry that I haven't told you, Yoseobbie." She squeezed his cheeks. "Omoooo I missed you too and your cuteness." Then she laughed a bit again. "Let's go in first. I have a lot of things to tell you!" Pulling Yoseob's hand, they went inside their classroom, leaving the big crowd behind.

Since it was break time, they had a lot of spare time so they talked about all the things that happened for the past six months during JaeEun's exchange program in Taipei. She sounded so happy while narrating so Yoseob just let her be and listened to her instead, while starting at her face that he missed for so long.

Suddenly at one point, she hesitated to talk for a bit before continuing, reaching out to hold his right hand. "Seob-ah, I don't know how to say this." And she bit her lip before saying another sentence. "I didn't forget about the 'promise' we made way back then... but you see, things aren't like what they seem as before anymore."

"What do you mean? I don't understand." He asked her, his tone full of curiosity.

"I-I don't know how to explain it fully right now... but how about wait until two weeks? I have a friend back in Taiwan who will be coming. The both of us can explain it to you." JaeEun tapped his hand before releasing it. "Anyway, you should tell me more of the things that happened while I was not around." She smiled at him, which made him become even more speechless.

That day changed his life. But instead of being happier, he felt rather uneasy and he could not help but feel that something has changed.. especially with JaeEun.

-end-

 

Yoseob was looking down on his phone as he continued to walk, not paying attention to the surrounding when he suddenly bumped into someone who was bringing books along, causing him to almost drop his phone.

"Omona! I'm so sorry. I should have paid more attention. Are you hurt anywhere?" The tall guy in front of him asked with concern.

Yoseob dusted his shirt off before looking ahead. "I'm fine. I'm sorry too, I was not looking either." Suddenly, he noticed something while looking at the person. "Are you new here? It's the first time I have seen you."

"Ah, ani. I am not a student here. I just came to visit a friend. Anyway, I think I'll be going ahead to the guard house because I was called over." The guy smiled at him and bowed a little before going. Yoseob, who was a bit puzzled, continued on his way until he finally reached the place where JaeEun was.

"Seobbie, here!" JaeEun waved her right hand while smiling widely.

He sat down beside her and greeted her with a simple 'hi'. He looked at her face for a brief moment and realized how different her smile is. Sure she had always smiled before when they were always together but now, it seems like there's something else that has added to it.

"JaeEunnie..." Yoseob began with a bit of hesitation. "You.. you called me over to say something, right? Well, it has been two weeks since you returned, and you said you are going to introduce someone to me. But before that, can I ask you something first?"

"What happened to the promise? You said you did not forget about it, right?" He immediately asked her before she could cut into his words.

"Seob-ah, that's exactly what I want to tell you about.. but let's wait for my friend." Moments later, the said friend arrived.

"Oh, he's here.'' JaeEun immediately stood up. "I'd like you to meet Dongwoon. The friend I've met in Taiwan." JaeEun gestured to Yoseob before turning to Dongwoon. ''And Woon, this is Seob.. my best friend."

"Neo...'' Yoseob whispered. ''Well, small world, isn't it?" He blurted out with a hint of sarcasm in his tone. "I mean.. I'm Yoseob, it's nice to meet you." He offered a handshake and Dongwoon accepted it. He immediately pulled his hand away before he can possibly squeeze the other guy's hand.

The three of them gathered around a circular table and started talking. All the while, Yoseob was eyeing Dongwoon, occasionally shifting his gaze between him and JaeEun.

"I am glad to finally meet you." Dongwoon finally spoke, "JaeEun has been telling me a lot of things about you."

"Are you Korean? Because you seem fluent in speaking the language." Asked Yoseob out of curiosity, noticing Dongwoon's pretty good diction and accent.

"Ah, yeah.. I am Korean although I was raised in Taiwan when both of my parents have settled there due to some business matters."

JaeEun just remained silent at the side and let the two continue talking as she was finding the right timing to tell Yoseob about the situation.

"Umm..'' She suddenly voiced out of the blue, making the other two turn to her. ''Waeyo, Jae? Did you want to say something?" Dongwoon immediately asked her.

"You see...'' She was about to continue when Dongwoon's phone rang, interrupting her.

"Excuse me, I have to take this call." He mouthed to the two and left them for a moment.

JaeEun heaved a heavy sigh as she hanged her head low before looking back at Yoseob. "I know I should tell you sooner or later, so I should just do it now." She paused before continuing, "The promise.. the promise we made a couple of months ago.. I'm sorry but I don't think I can fulfill it.."

Yoseob was just staring at her with uneasy eyes and whispered, "What do you mean?"

"I think I have fallen in love.. with Dongwoon."

Yoseob felt frozen in his seat as he heard her say those words. Part of him believed that he heard correctly but a bigger part of him wanted to deny it.

"I can explain! You will hear me out, right?" JaeEun looked at him with hopeful eyes but he already stood up, ready to go. Luckily, JaeEun was able to hold his wrist to stop him from his tracks. "I also want to say that.. I am going back to Taipei soon. Although the original plan was for me to continue studying here, my parents have suddenly considered to completely transfer me there. I just came back to fix some things and I will be leaving tomorrow.." She managed to say everything that she wanted to for the past days before Yoseob could walk away. "I-I didn't have the courage to tell you for the past two weeks.. I'm sorry."

After hearing those, Yoseob slipped his hand off hers and continued to walk away, just in time, Dongwoon came back after his phone call.

"Where is he going?" He asked, obviously clueless about the whole thing but instead of answering him, JaeEun only kept quiet.

Yoseob walked back to the lobby but found that Hyunmin was no longer there so he just sent a message to him instead saying that he will go home before heading out of the campus.

 

[ That night ]

The moment he reached home, he quickly headed to his room and locked himself in there, not bothering to check on other things. The only concern he has right now is JaeEun.. and all the words she said a while ago still keep on replaying in his head.

Lying on the bed, he heaved a heavy sigh and looked up the ceiling, placing his right arm over his head. "JaeEun-ah, I have waited for six months. Did I only waste my time? Everything is still a blur to me. Please help me understand."

Closing his eyes, scenes from six months ago flashed in his mind once again.

 

Flashback:

"Yah, you!" Yoseob pointed to 5 guys as he spoke. "You better go back to your seats before Mrs. Jung arrives." Just then, their professor walked into the classroom, together with another person.

"I am sorry for the delay, class. I had to attend to some matters earlier. Anyway, here with me is your new classmate. Please take care of her from now on, okay?" Then she stepped aside to give way to the student to let her introduce herself.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Naneun Yoon JaeEun imnida. I hope to get along with all of you." She flashed a smile then slightly bowed.

After that, she was told by their professor to somewhere on the second to the last row to the door before starting the lecture. Hyunmin nudged Yoseob's arm, noticing his friend's smiling face.

"Mwo? I am just happy because a new student would mean new friend." He defended immediately even though his friend did not say anything yet.

"Ayy you sound defensive. I did not even say anything." Hyunmin chuckled before browsing his notes.

Time quickly passed and the class was done and students were happy because it is already break time. Some already flew off while others, especially some ladies, gathered around JaeEun to befriend her. Yoseob however did not join them but instead, waited for them to leave. And when they finally have left, he decided to approach her.

"Annyeong..." He greeted with a smile, "Welcome to our school. I am Yoseob, by the way." He offered a handshake and JaeEun reached for it while smiling at him. "Thank you~ and I am JaeEun." She smiled so sweetly that it almost melt Yoseob's heart at that instant.

The two spent the break time together, getting acquainted with each other, sharing different things and common interests. Hyunmin could not believe that Yoseob had totally forgotten about him. Everyday, they will go together, almost being inseparable but that day was just different, as if he was a different person to him because all his attention was on JaeEun.

The day ended and Yoseob asked if he can walk JaeEun home since she said their house was not that far from there and so they went together. 

"We can stop here!" JaeEun happily chimed as they reached the intersection. "I am sorry if I troubled you but thank you so much for today. It was such a great first day here for me because of you."

Yoseob looked around for a moment before looking back at her. "Is your house near here? I just want to make sure you will be able to reach home safely." He rubbed the back of his neck lightly and earned a laugh from her.

"It is fine.. really~ And my house is only a few steps from here." She tapped his arm.

Yoseob chuckled, feeling a bit shy. "Alright, if you say so. And you are welcome. It was nice meeting and knowing you. I shall leave first then." He waved at her a little, still smiling the widest he can before starting to walk back.

The next days have been the same. Yoseob and JaeEun always go together and share different things with each other and their friendship eventually grew over the time. Hyunmin would even sometimes jokingly sulk, telling Yoseob that he has already forgotten him as his best of best friend but in the end, he understood that his friend is only starting to like someone that is he why he is acting differently.

"Seobbie!" Hyunmin approached Yoseob and draped an arm his shoulders when he finally found an opportunity when JaeEun was not around. "Ya, you.. aigoo, you have grown so much, haven't you?" Then he playfully punched his shoulder. "I can tell that you are already feeling something different for her." He meant to say JaeEun. "But don't you think things are going fast? I mean.. just a precaution, take it slow. You never know what may happen tomorrow." He warned and patted his friend's back.

Yoseob looked at Hyunmin and smiled, "Don't worry, things will be okay. But thanks for your concern."

"Seobbie! Hyunmin!" JaeEun greeted as she walked closer to the two. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Just letting time pass... How about you?" Hyunmin asked her back.

"Actually..'' She started off, "I came here to say something really important.. but can you please excuse us for a bit? I need to talk to Yoseob alone." Hyunmin just nodded before standing and leaving the two to talk.

"Why did you ask him to leave? Can't he listen to what you have to say too?" Yoseob asked her when she finally sat down beside him again.

But then she ignored his question and spoke again, "I am leaving for another country.. it's for a student exchange program."

"W-what?" Yoseob blinked at her, as if he could not process her words.

"This is really so sudden but I was luckily chosen for the program.'' She held her hands in his. "I am going to be there for six months."

"Really? But that will be so long." Yoseob said with a hint of sadness in his tone then sighed.

"I know it is. But look on the brighter side. We will still be able to contact each other anyway." JaeEun tried to assured him so that he will lighten up. "Let us just be both happy about this."

"Of course I am happy! I am happy for you. Congratulations." Yoseob shook JaeEun's hand and smiled, trying to hide the sadness in him. Then all of a sudden, he became serious again. "But Jae...  can we make a promise to each other?" Then he paused for a bit before continuing. "I don't know if you have noticed but.. I think I actually fell for you already." He looked at her for a reaction and found her staring back at him with a little widened eyes. "So, since you are going to be away for a couple of months.. can you promise to come back for me and give us a chance? And in return, I will promise to wait for you no matter what happens." Then he tightened his hold on her hands before bringing it up to his lips to kiss it softly.

"Seobbie..." JaeEun smiled softly, ''I will be gone for a long time. Are you sure you will be able to hold on to that?"

Yoseob nodded right away. "I promise I will wait for you so you better come back." Then he laughed a bit in attempt to lighten up the mood.

"Then I shall promise to come back for you too so you better wait for me." JaeEun replied in a happier tone, still smiling at him.

-end-

 

He has been staying up already for so many hours that night but still could not sleep. Turning to his right, he heaved another deep sigh before mumbling to himself. "But what is one week compared to six month, Seob? Seriously.. you think you still have a chance?" Closing his eyes once again, he fervently wished that sleep would visit him and make him forgot about her.

 

--oOo--

 

[ The next day ]

 

Students have been crowding around one classroom as if some commotion had just happened. Some were whispering things to each other while others were just there, sitting or standing and looking at the scene.

"JaeEun-ah, are you sure about leaving??"

"Why? This is so sudden..''

"I cannot accept this!"

Some girls who were inside the classroom asked JaeEun and tried convincing her to stay but things were not that simple.

JaeEun finished packing some of her things and documents and sighed softly. "Ne, I really have to return so soon. I did not expect this too but I guess this is already final."

"But you just came back~" JiHye, their class president, said. "We even wanted to spend more time with you and get closer."

"I know but don't be sad please." JaeEun held JiHye's hand and squeezed it a little. "You guys will be fine without me. Please be happy, okay?" Then looking around, she asked them, "Where's Yoseob? Don't tell me he isn't in the campus yet~"

Before one of the girls could answer, Dongwoon walked into the classroom. "Jae, we need to go now. The service is waiting."

"O-oh~ Arasseo, I will be there in a short while." JaeEun uneasily replied. Looking around more, she suddenly found an old notebook of Yoseob which was left open on his desk and that made her wonder but then she immediately walked towards it and grabbing a pen, she bent down to write two words on either page of the notebook.

'Goodbye'

'I'm Sorry'

Not exactly knowing what else to write, she stood up and covered the pen right after writing and placed it back to her pocket. Just then, a single tear rolled down her right cheek. Realizing, she quickly wiped it with the back of her hand before leaving the classroom.

"So I guess this is it!" She sighed and took a deep breath. "I will be going now then. JiHye, please take care of the rest, okay?" She embraced JiHye for a bit before pulling back. "I know they are in good hands. I have already talked with Mrs. Jung so I will go now."

"You take care too. We will miss you." JiHye smiled softly as she and the other students waved, watching JaeEun's figure slowly walk away.

 

-oOo-

'Please leave a message after the beep.'

Hyunmin has been trying for few minutes already but still can not get through Yoseob's number. "Aish! What is wrong with this person? Did he forget that JaeEun is leaving today? What if he never gets the chance to see her again?" He mumbled to himself while still waiting for Yoseob to pick up. After a few more moments, the call was able to get through and Hyunmin finally heard Yoseob's sleepy voice.

"Yoboseyo?"

"Ya! Where are you? Come to school right now.. quick!" Hyunmin shouted, not caring if he possibly breaks Yoseob's ear drum. "JaeEun.. did you forget she is leaving today? Don't waste another minute and just rush here! I hope you can make it." He whispered the last sentence before ending the call.

When it finally sank in, Yoseob immediately got off the bed and prepared as fast as he could and changed his clothes, leaving his hand phone behind and quickly sped off to school.

 

-oOo-

After what seemed like forever to him, Yoseob has finally arrived and he rushed inside the big campus gates, immediately heading to their classroom and looking for JaeEun.

"JaeEun-ah!" He shouted while running but then found the classroom almost empty when he reached there. Turning around, he saw two students and asked them about her but they did not know anything. Suddenly, Soyoung arrived and called him.

"Yah, Yang Yoseob.. where have you been? JaeEun was looking for you some minutes ago."

"She was? Where is she?" Yoseob asked her, holding both of her shoulders.

"She already left. She said she already needs to leave... but I think she left a note for you. I saw her writing a while a-"

Yoseob rushed inside the classroom then found the 'note' Soyoung was referring to. He slowly held the notebook up as his eyes scanned through the words 'goodbye' and 'I'm sorry' alternately. He remained in that state for about a minute, feeling lost and drained but once he finally got some strength back, he immediately ran the fastest that he could while shouting JaeEun's name and pleading her to stay.

"JaeEun-ah! Yoon JaeEun... please come back!"

"You can't just leave me like this!"

He was already panting hard when he reached the gates and the guards and some students all looked at him curiously.

He used all his energy up and tried his best to catch up but he was already too late because already 30 minutes have passed since JaeEun left the school.

"JaeEun, wae?" Yoseob whispered as he held the notebook close to his chest. "I waited for nothing. I have been a fool."

 

 

 

"But even so.. I have loved you.. sincerely.."

 

As tears started streaming down, he slumped down the ground and remained like that for some hours, not caring about what other people will say.