Memories Won't Fade { Onew x Haneul }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Inspiration in writing this: SHINee's IN MY ROOM { http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rdeYhtpOA }


 

"Jinki, open the door." Jinki heard his mother call as she kept knocking on the door but he did not budge. Today will just be another day they tell him that his wife is gone.. for good. He just does not get how they can simply tell him that when they do not have enough proof in their hands. In his mind, 'Their investigations did not even lead to anything helpful so how can they actually tell this to me??'

He got up from his bed and slowly walked to the little table that was by the window. Taking some candles from the drawer, he placed it on the top of the cake before lighting it. 'Happy birthday, yeobo.' He thought to himself before blowing the candles and letting out a heavy sigh. Suddenly, the door knob twisted and in came his mother. She saw him standing at the far end of his room, facing the window. She also noticed the cake that was beside him and some food.

"Jinki-ah~" She slowly approached him, worry evident on her face. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, eomma.. So you actually used your spare key, huh?" Jinki chuckled as he turned around to face her. "I am.. celebrating my wife's birthday." He smiled bitterly.

"I am just.. just worried because you were not responding since earlier."

"If you are here to talk something about Haneul, then you might as well leave.."

"Can you still not accept it? It's been 2 years since --"

"No! She is not dead!" Jinki suddenly shouted out of frustration and anger then his eyes slowly softened when he saw his mother's reaction. "M-mianhae, eomma. I did not intend to shout." And he embraced her.

"Gwenchana, I understand you." His mother patted his back.

"I just.. do not want to hear you insisting that she is gone. You have not even found sufficient evidence so how can you say such words?" Jinki sighed and his mother only kept hugging him and soothing his back, trying to give comfort. "She.. she is not gone. Maybe some waves just took her to another place.. maybe she hit her head on something hard when the chopper crashed and she lost her memory.. that's why she was not able to contact us for a long time, right? Please tell me my analysis is correct." She only nodded as she continued patting his back softly to calm him down.

 

 

Flashback:

It was the afternoon of Haneul's birthday and both her and Jinki were on their way back to Seoul from a trip to Jeju Island, riding a chopper. Jinki did not really want to ride the chopper but because Haneul insisted, he agreed. The flight went on smoothly at first but when they were almost landing, the chopper experieced a malfunction. Haneul, who was enjoying looking at the beautiful scenery from the window, was surprise when the pilot exclaimed something.

"What's wrong?" She suddenly asked, her eyes full of concern.

"Is everything alright?" Jinki followed with a question.

The pilot told them that there seemed to be a problem with the chopper's engine. They tried their best to find solutions to the problem but luck was not on their side that day. After some more minutes, the chopper finally crashed to the sea.

"H-haneul.." The only word that Jinki was able to say before completely passing out. The pilot, being the only one a bit conscious, hurriedly went to Jinki's side and helped him out of the crashed vehicle.

Moments later, both he and the pilot were alraedy on the dry land. When he regained consciousness however, Haneul was still the first that came into his mind. Looking around him, he tried to see where she was but there was no sign of her.

"Where are we now? Where's Haneul? Did you see her?" He asked the pilot while shaking the latter's shoulders lightly. But not even waiting for a reply, he stood up and tried walking around the island where they landed to look for her. When he got tired, he just simply walked back to where the pilot was, and there he heard the words he dreaded to hear, "She wasn't there anymore when the chopper crashed. The only one I saw was you. I'm afraid to say this but maybe she didn't survive."

"No! How could you say such thing? It has not been long since we crashed. Maybe she was just taken away by the waves to another place.. or maybe, someone already saw her and saved her." He blurted out while pacing back and forth. "This won't do. We need to search for her as soon as possible. I'm sure we will still be able to find her." Then he fished his phone out of his pocket, luckily, it is still functioning.

"Where are you Haneul? Please come back and tell me you're okay.. Please." He mumbled to hmself as he phoned someone for help.

-end of flashback-

 

 

It was already evening and Jinki had fallen asleep in his mother's arms. He cried so much the whole afternoon that he had ended this way. Not wanting to wake him up, his mother slowly placed his head on the pillow and wrapped the blanket around him before leaving his room, trying to make the least noise possible.

"Jinki-ah, I hate seeing you like this. I hope you will soon learn to accept the truth." His mother sighed as she went to the kitchen to prepare a meal for him.

 

-oOo-

 

Jinki groaned as he heard some noised coming from outside of his bedroom. Turning around a few times, he realized that he was wrapped in a blanket and lying down comfortably on his bed. The only thing he remembered from yesterday was him singing a birthday song to his wife. He slowly got up and walks towards the door and when he had opened it slightly, he overheard the conversation he wish he never did.

"Can you please just get straight to the point? I don't want any more suspense." He heard his mother say.

"Alright madam." A male voice spoke. "The person you have been asking us to look for is Lee Haneul, right? Well, I am afraid to say but.." He paused and sighed before continuing, "we have just confirmed about her death.. it's been 2 years now."

Jinki's mother could not believe what she had just heard and she looked at the investigator with wide teary eyes while covering with one hand.

"A-are you sure about that? Any evidence that you have?" She asked just to make sure.

The detective showed her some files as well as some articles that will prove his claim. After seeing this, his mother became more than sure that it is true, that Haneul is now gone.. forever.

Jinki started tearing up as he kept listening to the converstaion. Thinking that he has heared enough, he shut the door close and went to his drawer to take out a big box that contained his and Haneul's memories together for the past two years. Sitting on the edge of his bed, he removed the lid of the box and slowly took out photos and stuff that he had kept there ever since Haneul went missing. Browsing through those stuff only brought back all the memories to him and made him cry even more.

"Ani Haneul.. you are not dead." Jinki said as he held a smiling photo of Haneul and caressed it. "You will always be alive here." Then he pointed to the left side of his chest. "Remember that, always."

Having said that, he placed the photo back in the box and closed it before keeping it back in his drawer. Standing straight again and looking around, he did something rather unexpected.. he decided to clean his room. His room that has been in a state of mess since two years ago is finally going to be cleaned.

However, he will not throw Haneul's memories away, he will just keep it in a special place. Although he will not be able to easily accept everything, he is willing to do it step by step. At least for him, it is better now since he has a clear answer to the biggest question he had for years. 

"Saranghae Haneul. I hope you will always guide me.. and take care of me." Jinki took a deep breath and smiled a genuine smile before heading out the door of his bedroom, ready to face the day ahead as his new self.