Until Another Journey Unfolds { Junhyung x Hyemin }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Inspiration in writing this: Hyuna's A BITTER DAY (feat. G.Na & Junhyung) { http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ZFHnuQEbw }


 

The morning was cold and the sky was gloomy, bringing a sign that it will rain. Hyemin was there sitting on the coffee table by her bedroom's window while drinking a cup of tea. Heaving a sigh, she whispered to herself, "It seems like the weather is sympathizing with me right now." Then she took a glimpse of the sky before looking down on her cup of tea again. A few seconds later, there was a knock on the door and her younger sister, Hyeso, walked in. "Hyemin unnie, there is a sale in the mall later and I want to go. Can you accompany me?" She asked in a soft tone, hoping Hyemin would agree.

Hyemin stood up and slowly walked towards her bed as she wrapped her jacket around her so she will not feel cold. "Saeng~ I hope you understand if I decline. I am not feeling well so I do not think I can go out of the house today." She made the same excuse but Hyeso already knew about it. "Unnie, you have been like that since 3 days ago. I just want to help you cheer up even a bit. I do not like seeing you in this state."

Giving it a second thought, Hyemin has realized that her sister made a point and maybe if she will go out more, it will help her forget about the negative things. So she went to look for clothes to wear. She searched the closet for some sweater and hoodie because she thought it might rain soon when suddenly, the skies were lit when the sun appeared. "What? I thought it would rain just now. Aish.." She changed into something lighter and thinner instead then put her shoes on and grabbed her bag before going out. "Ya, go back to your room now and change. I will wait outside, okay? Please hurry up." She shouted so that her sister can hear.

Hyeso rushed to the living room after changing and told Hyemin that they can go. They linked arms with each other while walking to the bus stop that was just near their subdivision and after a minute, they already arrived there. Hyemin looked at her watch and it was only 45 minutes past the hour of 6 in the morning.. no wonder there were only a few people at the moment. Both of them took seats by the post but Hyemin seemed uneasy. Hyeso noticed this so she asked if she was okay and she only nodded.

That place was really memorable to her.. both in good and bad ways. Good because it is where and how she met the love of her life and bad because every time she is there, she only recalls all the memories they had in the past and it hurts her over and over again, knowing that they could not bring it back anymore.

"Unnie~ the bus has arrived." Hyeso pulled Hyemin's hand towards the bus and hurriedly stepped in and looked for favorable seats. As they already settled, Hyeso took out her sudoku book and began answering again. Hyemin on the other hand just looked outside, taking in the surrounding and reminiscing once again one of the happiest days of her life about a month ago.

 

Flashback:

Hyemin was waiting for a bus to arrive to take her to school. There was only few minutes left before her first class will start and she is really worried that she will run very late if the bus does not arrive any time soon. Finally after some painful minutes of wait, the bus arrived. Hyemin rushed to get into the bus right away together with the other passengers and when she took a step forward, someone accidentally pushed her because of some people who squeezed themselves so they could get on the bus first. The person apologized to her right away and helped her up. Because of the little commotion, they came behind and the other passengers have already occupied most of the seats. Hyemin was fortunate enough to have secured herself a seat already as soon as she got on. Seeing the situation, she waved to the person who helped her and told him to sit beside her.

"Thank you. I am Junhyung by the way.. and sorry for the bother earlier." The guy beside her greeted her and smiled a little.

"Gwenchana.. I did not get hurt anyway. Nice to meet you, I am Hyemin." She stretched her hand out for a shake and Junhyung took it.

They continued exchanging stares for a bit more before one of them broke the silence. "By the way, where are you headed?" Hyemin asked him as she leaned back on her seat.

"Oh.. to the burger joint where I work, how about you?"

"To Incheon High.." She looked at her watch. "But I do not think I will still be able to make it to my first class. I am already very late."

"Do you want to go have some burger then? My treat.."

"Really?" Her eyes twinkled and he nodded.

They dropped by the burger joint for a little while and Junhyung treated her to a burger just as he said. Both started to open up to each other, sharing things about themselves and their personal lives. Soon, Hyemin had to leave. She left her name together with her number on a piece of paper and handed it to him. He told her that she can visit him at the stall anytime she wishes to. Junhyung ushered Hyemin and made sure she will be able to ride the vehicle safely before going back to his work.

The next few days came and Junhyung and Hyemin spent more time with each other until a feeling more than just friendship started to build. At times Hyemin would go to the burger stall to eat but not for free anymore. Sometimes, Junhyung would go to Hyemin's campus to visit her or even fetch her after class is done and they would ride the bus together.

A day came when Junhyung had finally gained some courage to tell Hyemin how he feels but also admitted that he is a little scared because Hyemin's level is a little high compared to his but Hyemin just smiled at him and told him not to worry too much and not to be feel bad because she also feels the same way about him. So when he asked her if they could try on the relationship, she agreed. Junhyung promised to her that they will overcome all challenges no matter what as long as they are together.

The first few weeks of their relationship went smooth. Even though they were still on the adjustment period at that time, they were able to handle little matters that occurred. But as more days passed, everything was not the same anymore. Hyemin, for instance, is feeling pressured whenever her friends ask about her boyfriend and the stuff that he does. Every time that happens, she just finds a way to divert the conversation so they would no longer ask. It even reached to a point when she felt that she does not want to introduce him to them because her friends might not like him.. especially for her. Junhyung, on the other hand, feels pressured because of job, thinking about how unstable it is and how anytime he can be replaced. He keeps thinking about Hyemin and how different she is from him. Hyemin's standard of living is high, and a person like him will not be able to provide her with what she needs so she is better off with someone with the same level as hers. All of a sudden, the thought of breaking up crossed his mind.

One day, Junhyung asked Hyemin to meet at the gates of her school because he was going to say something. Hyemin felt a mix of emotions in her.. she felt happy because she was going to see him again, she felt rather afraid that her friends will see him there, and at the same time she was curious and nervous as to why he wanted to meet.. because the tone of his voice when he said that sounded serious.

Hyemin walked out of the campus, taking little steps. Something in her did not feel right about the situation. She smiled at Junhyung when she saw him but he did not respond to that. Instead, he held her hands tightly and looked straight into the eyes. 'What is with all this serious vibes all of a sudden?' Hyemin thought. Then taking one deep breath, he told her as calm as he can.. "Let us just part ways.. for now.."

The moment Hyemin heard those words, she felt like she froze in place. She did not believe any of it and hoped that all was just a dream but the sudden pang in her heart told her it was real.. that Junhyung just really said that to her and he meant every bit of it. Slowly letting go of her hands, he mouthed a 'sorry' to her before turning away, without even giving her the chance to talk and fight for whatever was remaining at that point.

-end-

 

Hyeso impatiently shifted on her seat as she kept complaining why the bus has not left yet. "What are they waiting for? My birthday? New year? Aish.. what is taking them so long?" She turned to her right side and was about to whine to her sister when she noticed her being quiet so she poked her upper arm to get her attention. "Is something wrong, unnie?" Hyemin only shook her head and replied with a 'no'. As she continued looking at the place, her gaze suddenly fell on one person, who was seated near the other post, across from where she and Hyeso were before the rode the bus. The person really looked familiar to her even though the face can not be seen because the person was looking down at something. She tried to take a little more look and think about where she could have possibly met the person.. until it hit her..  it was Junhyung.

The bus' doors suddenly closed and the driver notified them that they are already leaving. Without thinking twice, Hyemin stood up and declared that she is getting off and her sister was shocked by her sudden action. "Ya unnie, are we not going to the mall? I thought --" She was not able to finish her sentence because Hyemin already walked past her and got off the bus.

Approaching the person who was looking down at some papers in his hands, she whispered, "J-Junhyung?" loud enough for him to hear. He lifted his head and there she confirmed it. He was also surprised at the sudden meet. He did not expect he would see her again, especially in the same place where they first met. Taking some steps towards her, he uttered her name.. "Hyemin.."

Hyemin needed answers. She wanted to hear more than just a mere 'let us break up' and 'sorry'. She kept on thinking for reasons why Junhyung could have possibly broken up with her but she still could not think of one.

"Why? That day.. why did you choose to leave me? Why did you end things that day? Why?" She asked him with a crack voice, trying to hold back threatening tears but she was too late as tears started streaming down her face.

"Sorry.." He began. "That was the only way I could think of. Like I told you.. you are too good for me. Do you not see? We are on different levels. I am not fit for you. It just will not work."

Looking at his right hand, she saw him holding some sheets that look like enrollment form and brochure.

"W-what's that?" She asked him and pointed to the papers he were holding.

"Oh.. this?" Junhyung held the papers up. "It is an enrollment form.. Incheon High.. I will try enrolling there. I have earned enough for the past weeks and I am thinking about enrolling in the same school as yours. I am hoping to get accepted.. at least by that time, I can already have something to be proud of in front of you. You will no longer be embarrassed and ashamed in front of your friends when they ask you about me.. that is, if we ever get back together."

Tears continued streaming down Hyemin's cheeks as she listened to Junhyung's explanation. She did not think that the reason he broke up with her was because of herself too.. because he felt pressured thinking that he will not be able to get to her level no matter what. That moment, she really felt sorry for him and she felt bad about herself, thinking that she caused him hardship. Walking to him a little more closer, she embraced him lightly before saying 'I'm sorry.' Slowly pulling away from her embrace, Junhyung just smiled at her a bit.

"Oh, the bus is still here. I need to go now. I will see you around your school, okay?" He confidently said before walking to the bus. As if forgetting something, he stopped in his track before totally going in the bus and turned to her.

 

"If you could wait for me, I will really be happy. Wait for me to come back after I have fulfilled my dreams and I promise you we will never part again." He waved at her a little before finally going inside the bus, sitting on the same spot where he sat when they first met.