Knowledge is Power

30-Day Drabble Challenge

Title: Knowledge is Power
Pairing: Friend!OnJongHo
Genre: College!AU
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I don’t own SHINee
A/N: I’m back and feel better than ever.

 

The moment the bell rang, Jonghyun sulked out the classroom with Jinki in close pursuit. “I don’t understand why I have to learn this crap anyway. It’s not like I’m ever gonna to use chemistry. And you!” Jonghyun now pointed an accusing finger at Jinki. “Why didn’t you bail me out? You saw me struggling to answer that question.”

“You should’ve been paying attention. Plus, I like seeing you fail from time to time.”

“Jackass.” It was the only thing Jonghyun could retort with.

It wasn’t long until they made to the cafeteria. Jonghyun didn’t like eating the dorm food so, as soon as he sat down, he fished in his backpack and pulled out an apple. “Whoa, whoa, Jonghyun, don’t eat that.”

“Why should I care?”

“Haven’t you heard? It contains eighty-four percent of dihydrogen monoxide. If you inhale it, you die.”

“So why am I not dead yet?”

“Because,” Jinki leaned closer. “It slowly seeps into your bloodstream. You won’t realize it until it’s too late.” Jonghyun waited for Jinki to crack a smile. When he didn’t, the cogs started to work in his mind. He remembered a lot of news articles about carbon monoxide poisoning. Too many people locking themselves in the garage with the windows down only to suffocate from the car exhaust. If carbon monoxide could do that in a few hours, imagine what dihydrogen monoxide could do in a few years…

“So, what can I eat?”

Jinki sighed. “Well, pretty much any food item contains this stuff. It’s a shame the government even lets that substance in our food.” 

“Hey, what’s going on?” He saw Minho carrying a tray of pizza. “Hey, Minho, don’t eat that. Jinki was just telling me about—what’s it called again—dihydrogen monoxide. Ya know, I think it’s a conspiracy against us. I’ve always thought there were too many people in the world anyways…” He stopped rambling when he saw Minho spreading a crazy grin across his face. Minho then said, “You fool. Dihydrogen monoxide is just water.”

“Really?” Jonghyun stared between them in disbelief. He turned to Jinki. “So you let me believe that was poisonous the whole time?”

“It’s not my fault you’re easy to trick.” Jinki started to laugh. 

Jonghyun, who barely heard Minho over his embarrassment say, “Knowledge is power.”

“Damn right.” Jinki said. Both boys gave each other a high five while Jonghyun slowly sank in his seat.