Something Duckie - Final

Something Duckie

Enjoy!

“Morning, Dupie!” Chen unlocked his locker, to find a purple duck slipped between those thick books. He pouted his duckish lips, as if he was imitating Dupie’s mouth. People who saw that scene just shook their head, already used by Chen’s attitude.

Chen loved his Dupie very much, a purple duck toy (which usually used by kids to accompany them bath e.e). That purple duck was given by his grandma as gift few years ago on Christmas, and never once in his life he left Dupie away unless he had a class.

But Chen was a 21 years old grown man! Isn't it a shame if girls probably will laugh at his weird toy. What’s worse is, Chen seem didn’t mind it at all – instead he was happy to show his duck toy everywhere. He fixed his spectacle, smiling at his duck as he made his way toward the school’s canteen.

Seohyun took a deep breath, Tiffany’s last sentence kept lingering on her ear. As she walked toward the canteen, she kept squeezing her fingers, to keep herself calm.

“If you fail to kiss the so-called Chenduck or known as the genius Kim Jongdae, you have to treat us everything for three months.” Tiffany laughs along with her friends.

“Screw you, Hwang Tiffany.” she hissed under her breath. Seo Joohyun was known as the school’s queenka along with other eight hot chicks who called themselves “Girls Generation.”

They are all pretty, they are elegant and attractive. Every guys will bow down in front of them. Unless a nerd called Kim Jongdae, the transferred student from China who seem didn’t pay much attention toward Girls Generation – which somehow got Miyoung pissed. The eyesmiled girl probably ‘using’ her maknae to melt Chen.

“But why, me?” Seohyun looked at her unnies irritatingly.

Taeyeon walked toward her, then tapped the maknae’s shoulder lovingly. “Seohyun honey, I got this information somewhere. Rumour said he likes someone with charming eyes. And you have a pair of round yet twinkle eyes.” she said trying to convince the younger.

Seohyun rolled her eyes “But Yoona unnie is prettier than me!”

The owner of the name shook her index finger. “No sweetie.You’re the only one who’s younger than him. We’re all older than him so you’re chosen. No buts.”

A rainbow haired girl joined “Or we’re going to spread your secret about Ker-” Seohyun immediately put her finger on Hyoyeon’s lips. “Shut up! Alright I’ll do it. I hate you unnies.”

“Hi!”

Chen turned his head, he saw a pair of charming eyes greeted him. For a moment he stopped his activity – munching his sandwich. Seohyun tried to smile as beautiful as she can, eventhough it made her looked so fake. On the other side, her unnies were watching her while giggling. She cursed her unnies silently, and promised once this bet finished, she will never accept any bet.

The lad didn’t reply, making Seohyun more worried at the thought of her failure – she can feel everyone’s gonna laugh at her childish taste when it comes to TV show. “Yeah, hi.” finally Chen replied. Seohyun sighed in relief.

“May I sit next to you? You must be lonely.” Seohyun offered. He became thoughtful for a while. “Well yeah sure, but I’m not lonely though, I’m with Dupie.” he gave his purple duck a light squeeze. Seohyun gave him an awkward smile as she put her bag on the table’s surface.

‘I thought I’m the only one.’ Seohyun muttered.

“Excuse me?”

“Oh, d-did I say that loud?” Seohyun asked him while smiling awkwardly. Chen just nodded. “I- I’m sorry.” she said while rubbing her nape. Chen just smiled, then continued his lunch.

‘Seriously? He didn’t even bother to look at me!’ Seohyun’s inner screamed out loud.

Chen who felt he was being stared by Seohyun, immediately glanced at her. “Er, Seohyun-ssi are you alright?” Seohyun nodded awkwardly. “Y-yeah, I’m alright. Anyway, Chen-ah can you drop the formalities and you might want to call me Seohyun instead.” she said, He became thoughtful for a moment, before letting out a ‘hm’.

Suddenly Seohyun remembered her first plan. “Ah, right. Chen-ah, are you busy this Saturday?” she asked him. He nodded his head, not really paying attention. Seohyun frowned, as she mentally make a note for herself to make sure this arrogant guy will fall for her. “Can you go to the cinema, with me?”

“With you? This Saturday? I don’t think so.”

Seohyun choked when she heard Chen’s reply. “Err, what?”

The lad stood up as he cleaned the back of his jeans. “Suddenly I remembered that I have an appointment with my friends. I need to get going, bye.” he took his bag and left Seohyun dumbfounded.

For the first time in her life, she got rejected, everybody!

Seohyun just stared at the male, dumbfoundedly as her unnies approached her one by one. “What the hell?” she hissed, while Yoona just giggled at her. “That’s why I hate that guy yet curious at the same time about him.” Tiffany crossed her arms. Seohyun glared at her “Then why are you asking me to do this dare?”

“Want me to cancel this bet?” Tiffany offered. Remembering Chen’s attitude earlier, Seohyun felt her blood boiling. She was the type of person who hold grudge easily. “No, I can make it. I’m sure of it.” she smirked. “Aww, feisty maknae. Good luck!” Sooyoung said as she patted the maknae on the shoulder.

****

Seohyun sighed as her long fingers tracing her smooth silky long hair. In front of her mirror, she felt so ashamed. Right now she was wearing a flowery dress which stopped on her knee. That wasn’t her style at all! But for the sake of the bet, she sacrificed her pride. Someone told her that the so-called Chenduck likes a girl who wore a flowery dress.

Making her way to the class, she felt the stare of people whose jaw dropped upon they saw one of the queenka’s new style. Usually, she’d wear a tight skinny jeans with simple shirt but now she was different.

“Whoa, Seohyunnie what’s up with your new style? Care to explain about your sudden changes?” a guy suddenly approached her. Seohyun glared at him “Shut up, Choi Minho.” Minho raised his both hands “Just kidding you ahjumma. Stop getting angry easily or you’ll see wrinkles around your eyes not too long.” he joked, earning a punch on the shoulder by Seohyun.

Chen was in hurry. He grabbed some books, but suddenly he dropped his favourite Dupie while running to his class. He didn’t care about people who shouted his name. When he’s in hurry, he tends to forget a lot things easily.

Seohyun walked to her class lazily, she hated Biology class so much. Lazy to face Mr Shim who’ll make everything become so boring. She was on her own world when suddenly she stepped on something familiar. Yes, familiar because it quacked as soon as she stepped on it. Seohyun knelt down, a purple duck was sitting on the floor innocently. She took it and tapped the dust from it, what a poor duckie, she thought.

Wait a minute, she knew that duck. The duck which Chen always brought everywhere, she wasn’t wrong, that was his so-called Dupie. A smirk was formed on her face, as she put the innocent duckie on her bag and made her way to the Biology class.

The bell rang, means the school today is over. Chen cleaned his table, when suddenly the image of Dupie appeared on his mind. Suddenly he became panic as he took his books out of his bag and found nothing more. “Probably left in my locker!” he murmured as he ran to his locker hurrily.

He twisted his key on his locker’s keyhole, while hoping probably Dupie was there. But his hope was ungranted; Dupie was nowhere to be found. “Dupie!” Chen became panic right now. Suddenly he saw the figure of Baekhyun who was now leaning his back to his own locker while talking to his twin. Without hesitation he ran to Baekhyun. “Hey! Do you happen to see my Dupie? He’s lost!” Chen said panickly.

Baekhyun looked at Taehyung, then looked at Chen again. “No. Hey, I didn’t know that Dupie is a he!” suddenly the two let out a hilarious laugh. “I thought that purple duck is genderless!” Taehyung added. Chen frowned at them. “Asking you two is useless, you know that?” he left Baekhyun and Taehyung, who were staring at him dumbfounded.

“What happen to him?” Taehyung looked at Baekhyun, while Baekhyun just raised his shoulder.

Chen facepalmed himself, he did everything he could – asking the whole students at school and looking for Dupie in every room that duck could possibly slipped in but all failed. He was so frustrated right now, desperate, to be exact.

“Oh God, what should I do now?” he murmured as he threw his tired body on a bench, in the school’s garden. Seohyun watched him while hiding behind a tree. “Did I went too far?” she thought to herself.

For a moment she was hesitant to give Dupie back, but after collecting her courage, she went to approach the tired Chen.

“Here, you might need this.” she gave him a bottle of mineral water.

Probably too tired, Chen was hallucinating for a moment. The sun shone too bright, which made Seohyun looked so shiny at the moment. “Am I in heaven right now, or you’re just angel who appeared from the sky?” he blurted out, making Seohyun frowned. “Hey! Kim Jongdae, I am Seo Joohyun, Seohyun. Wake up.” she emphasized.

Chen suddenly go back to earth. “Oh, hey. Hey there. What are you doing here?” he asked as if nothing happens. “I’m here to offer you this water. But suddenly you blurt out a pick up line randomly.” she giggled. “Oh, right.” Chen smiled awkwardly. “If you’re looking for this.” Seohyun took a purple duck from her bag. “I found it when I was about to enter my Biology class.” she added.

His eyes shone brightly “Oh! You found him? Thanks Seohyun you’re my savior!” he grabbed his Dupie and hug the duck as if it was the most precious thing he ever had. “How do I supposed to thank you?” he asked her. “Anyway, you look good in that dress. I think you should wear this kind of dress everyday.” he added in sincere.

‘Really? This dress is a no-no for my taste, but for the sake of the bet, I’ll do it.’ her inner said. “Ah, no need to say that. It’s nothing, really.” she faked a smile, but Chen shook his head. “No, no. I need to thank you. Meet me at Hello Kitty Cafe this Saturday. I’ll treat you for dinner!” he said smiling at her. “Alright, see you this Saturday!” Seohyun said, waving at him.

****

Seohyun glanced at her watch worriedly, was Chen probably forgot of their appointment? Was Chen just make fun of her? She puffed her cheeks, Chen wasn’t that kind of guy, she thought.

Suddenly a random guy appeared in front of her, panting heavily. Seohyun stared at him confusedly. “Who are you?”

The male lifted up his face so she can see his face. Kind of familiar, but impossible if that cute guy was Chen. “Hey, this is me, Chen. Sorry for being late.” he said while panting, then he sat in front of Seohyun. She scanned every fiture of him, his cheek bone, his duckish lips when he talks, he is Chen! But there was no way he could be this handsome!

 

“Y-you? Really? I’m not mistaken that you’re Chen?” Seohyun’s eyes widened in awe. Chen laughed nervously. “Yeah, do I look ugly right now?”

You looked so damn cute. “No, you look fine.” Seohyun mentally slapped herself. “Thanks.” Chen smiled.

Then quiet again, while no one dare to break the silence. Seohyun sipped her Bubble Tea, while Chen just playing alone with Dupie. How come a guy ignored the school’s queenka just for a duck? How come she lose over a toy? That purple duck was unofficially her biggest enemy right now. She bit her cheesecake as she planned a way to get rid of that duck.

Feeling uncomfortable, Chen lifted his face and their eyes locked. For a moment Seohyun breath stopped, while her hands moved by instinc toward Chen’s face. He didn’t budge, instead he froze there, while his hand gripped his duck. Slowly Seohyun took Chen’s spectacle, revealing a pair of charming eyes hidden.

“Quack.” Chen’s hand accidentally pressed the duck, and the two suddenly got back to the earth. Seohyun felt her cheeks heaten up. Chen cleared his throat to break the awkwardness. “You look good without that spectacle, I suggest you to wear contact lens instead.” Seohyun said smiling.

“Ne.” the lad grinned.

****

“UNNIEEE! YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAS HAPPENED TODAY!!” Seohyun screamed when she entered the dorm. Hyoyeon covered her ears “Oh my God Seohyun, even your scream is worse than Tiffany’s! What on earth happened to you?” she said irritatingly. Seohyun raised her index finger and the middle one, making a peace sign.

Taeyeon came to the living room. “Hey, what happened?” she asked them. Seohyun gripped her unnie both shoulders and shook her feistily. “Omg omg unnie I didn’t know that Chenchen is handsome!”

Hyoyeon took Seohyun’s hand off of Taeyeon. “Calm down maknae, poor our kid leader. You know that she’s smaller than you, LOL.” she rolled her eyes. Suddenly Yuri ran down from the second floor, followed by Sunny and Jessica. “Chen? Kim Jongdae? Handsome?” Jessica frowned. Her unnies glanced at each other in disbelief. “His eyes unnie! His eyes! Kyaaa!” Seohyun ran toward her room, leaving her unnies dumbfounded.

“Are you thinking what I am thinking right now?” Yuri glanced at Taeyeon, the older just nodded while forming a smirk.

For the past few weeks, Seohyun often found hang out together with Chen. Her unnies didn’t mind it all, as long as Seohyun is okay. The two couldn’t deny that feelings started to grow between them, but no one dare to make the first move. After few weeks they got to know each other, Seohyun knew that Chen lived alone together with his uncle.

Well Seohyun’s happiness sometimes disturbed by the existence of that purple duck. How much she wanted to get rid of that duck, but of course, Chen won’t allow her to touch him if he found Seohyun torturing his duck.

“My grandma gave this duck to me few years ago, when I was eleven, just a year before she passed away.” Chen told her when they were currently having lunch together. Seohyun nodded, apparently that duck saved a lot memories for Chen and his grandma. But still, she’s annoyed by the presence of Dupie. How much she wanted to cut its body and step on it until it can’t let out any quack—

Seohyun shook her head to get rid at the thought of planning her torture. “Ah, right. I need to get going. Bye Chenchen.” she waved at him.

Chen walked toward the garden, he smiled brightly. His left hand currently holding Dupie while the other holding a bouquet of roses. Today, he was planning to cut the friendzone between him and Seohyun and maybe, she would agree to be his girlfriend after a long time stuck friendzoned.

Suddenly he can vaguely hear someone talked behind a wall. Curious, he walked toward the wall to see who’s talking.

“Seohyun-ah, don’t tell me you forget about the bet.”

“Unnie I don’t think I can manage to finish the bet.“

“Why?”

“You know, Chen treated me very well—“

“A bet is still a bet, Seohyunnie.”

Bet? What bet? Chen walked closer to see them clearly. That was right, the one who talks about bet was Seohyun, with a familiar red-haired lady. He felt suddenly the sky fell onto him, his heart broke into pieces. Was it a lie all along? Did he put too much hopes in her? Apparently that was right, the queenkas are all the same – all heartbreakers.

“Care to explain about what kind of bet which involved me?”

Seohyun turned, shocked upon she saw Chen smirked. “Chen no, it’s not like that!” she made her way to approach Chen. “From now on, don’t bother to approach me. I know I’m a nerd, I know I’m a poor who gets into this school by scholarship, but you have no right to play me like this! Whatever, I’m leaving. Goodbye.” he said sarcastically.

In other way, Tiffany felt so guilty for talking about this bet at school. Chen dropped the bouquet, then ran away from Seohyun. “Chen! No!” Seohyun shouted, but the male was too far to be catch.

She saw a bouquet of rose, then grabbed it. She felt hurt somehow, and Chen was angry at her, probably she’ll be forever unforgiven. Tiffany approached her, then rubbed the maknae’s back. “I’m sorry. I promise I’ll make everything like how it’s used to be.” she said comforting the younger. Seohyun shook her head “No, unnie. I can do it. Thank you.”

Tiffany nodded, before she saw a figure of purple duck on the ground. “Hey, what’s that?” she asked curiously. Seohyun took the duck and tapped it. “It belongs to Chen.” she murmured. Tiffany smiled “Give this to him and you two probably can settle this down.” she suggested. Seohyun’s face became brighter “Thanks unnie, you’re the best!” she said as she hugged the red-haired girl.

****

“Jongdae-ah, go eat.” his uncle Joonmyun knocked his door. Once again, no answer can be heard. He locked his door since three days ago, he won’t open it unless he want to take a bath and then he locked his room again.

Chen felt so hurt, never know this would hurt him so much. He did remember that he left Dupie when he ran from Seohyun a week ago, but so far he didn’t care about that stupid duck.

Joonmyun shook his head “No answer.” he said. Seohyun felt so guilty for this, “Um, Joonmyun-ssi I’ll try to convince him, can I?” she asked him. “Believe it or not, many of his friends had came but none did convince him. But you can try.” he smiled.

Seohyun walked toward Chen’s room, while her unnies were waiting at the livingroom. Taking a deep breath, she knocked Chen’s room.

“Go ahjussi, I don’t want to eat right now.” Chen shouted from inside. “Chen, open the door. Let’s settle this down, okay? But you have to eat first.” Seohyun said softly.

Chen shocked, Seohyun is here? How can she knew his house? Oh right, they used to exchange each other’s address before. “What do you want?” Chen asked, keeping his pride. Seohyun sighed “Chen, please stop torturing yourself. We need to talk.”

“We have nothing to discuss. Get lost Seo Joohyun.” he replied coldly. Seohyun couldn’t take it anymore, she felt her blood boiling. “Look, stop being so stubborn okay? I’m sorry, and yes, I approached you because of the bet that I and my girls made before.” Seohyun blurted, while her unnies who were listening to them shocked.

“Go away! Just go. Stop comforting me with lies, I’ve had enough of those lie. I don’t want to meet you anymore. Please, leave me alone.” Chen shouted from his room.

Seohyun became more irritated. “Don’t make me angry and hate you even more! Now get your up and let’s settle this down!” she shouted back. “Sure! You can hate me! Because I hate you too!” Chen wiped his tears that made his cheek wet since Seohyun came to his room.

“You! You and your childish attitude! You insensitive stupid guy! Yes, everything was a lie before. I used to hate you so much before, I hate you so much for ignoring me and you chose that duck over me! I hate myself for accepting that bet in the first place. I hate you for being so handsome and I can’t help it but staring at your photograph every night which is driving me crazy.”

Chen’s eyes widened in shock. “And do you know what makes me hate you even more?” Seohyun took a deep breath. “I hate the fact that I have fallen for an immature yet childish guy like you. I... love you.” Seohyun stopped her speech when her eyes became teary.

Suddenly Chen got enough courage upon he listened to Seohyun’ confession. He got up from his bed and opened his door. He found Seohyun busy removing her tears. “Is it true that you have feelings for me?” he asked. She punched Chen’s shoulder. “You silly! You and your stupid duck!”

Chen chuckled, but suddenly he felt his body became lighter. The last thing he saw was Seohyun’s worried expression, then everything went dark.

****

“Where am I?” Chen blinked his eyes, he felt strange when a white ceiling greeted his vision. “Hospital?” he murmured.

“Chen? You’ve gain your consciusness again?” he turned, to see a girl appeared. Seohyun closed the door, then made her way toward Chen’s bed. “You’re in hospital, Chen. You were passed out because you eat nothing since three days ago.” Seohyun pouted. “Therefore, I bought you your favourite food, ddukbokki!”  she added.

Chen nodded, “Ah, so this is how does it feel to have a wife.” he murmured. “Y-you, what?” Seohyun shocked. “No, nothing. Thank you.” he replied, smiling sincerely. “I’m sorry for being harsh to you today.” Chen added. “No, it’s okay. It’s my fault anyway. I’m the one who’s supposed to apologize.” Seohyun said.

He took Seohyun’s hand and gripped it on his own. “Sorry. I’m supposed to confess to you. Instead, you confessed to me first. What a shame for me.” he chuckled. Seohyun felt her cheeks heaten up. “What confession? Please mister, I didn’t confess to you.” she rolled her eyes. “Liar.” Chen said, earning a punch on his shoulder by Seohyun.

“But I love you too.” and Seohyun found Chen staring at her intently. Heartbeat became faster, zoo in her stomach, she leaned her face closer to Chen’s by instinc, and slowly closed her eyes. ‘I’ll just peck her lips, no more.’ Chen thought to himself. He closed his eyes as their lips touched for the first time, he didn’t know that her lips were that soft. Soon, the peck changed became a kiss, a sweet kiss shared by the two.

“KYAAAAH!!”

Jessica screamed her dolphin scream, but luckily Taeyeon covered Jessica’s mouth to shut her up, making the couple pulled themselves shocked. “I’m sorry, wrong room! You guys may continue now!” Yoona said while pushing Taeyeon and the shocked Jessica out.

Then she closed the door. Seohyun glanced at Chen, and giggled, followed by Chen. “Oh, what a scream.” he said. “Unnie’s dolphin scream is uncontrollable. She has a weird fear whenever she saw a kiss scene.” she explained, while her cheeks blushed madly.

“So, now we’re official?” Seohyun nodded shyly. “But there’s a rule. Don’t bring your duck when we’re out for a date.” Chen looked at her, raising his eyebrow. “Why?”

Seohyun shook her index finger. “Don’t bring Dupie for a date. You know how much I wanted to get rid of that duck when we’re hang out together? You’re like in your own world and I got ignored completely.” she said in serious tone. “Fine, fine. Just don’t torture my poor Dupie because he is completely innocent.” Chen said jokingly.

“But he is the one who make us together. Wait a minute, I didn’t know that Dupie is a he! I thought Dupie is yeoja.” Seohyun said. “Y-you, what? Ya! Dupie is namja!”

“Dupie suits to be a yeoja!!”

“No, Dupie is namja!”

And the two kept bickering about Dupie’s real gender, while the poor duck just sitting on the table next to Chen’s bed, watching the two fighting about his real gender.

The End