A Problem of Rumors

Crescendo: Sign

             The sound of the crashing waves was calming, eerie almost. Serene and comforting nonetheless. The sky long ago had shifted to blackness, illuminated by hundreds of small, twinkling far-off stars and the glowing moonlight. The sand between the small beach house and the ocean was stagnant as always, only ever moving if someone ran across it.

             Narsha sighed softly, sitting on the seat connected to her window, watching the tidal waves boredly. There wasn't much to do, and watching the ocean was about as interesting as it could get when she didn't have work. With a shake of her head, she went back to writing in her notebook. It probably wasn't good to be writing or reading with only the moonlight as the primary source of light, but it didn't particularly do anything bad to her eyesight. As far as she was aware, it was always the boys who had vision problems. Writing lyrics was hard she realized as she continued scribbling words. She sang softly to herself as she wrote, wondering if it would sound any good.

             "Can't breathe it's a mayday, dot dot dot dot dot. Heart hurts it's a mayday dot dot dot dot dot." A small smile formed on her lips as she circled the two lines, scribbling out the others and choosing those two to be in a song she was hoping to write. "Now to write the rest of it..." She mumbled sadly, feeling demotivated again. She was distracted by the buzzing sound of her vibrating phone, putting her notebook down to check the message she was left.

Hey,
heading to your place
Be ready in 5
~Baby G

             Her lips turned downward. What could Gain possibly want at this time of night? They had a strict curfew, but knowing the girl, she'd never win in an argument against her. Even if she was slightly shorter, Gain was a more demanding girl compared to Narsha. With a sigh she looked around her room, going through her drawers and hooking her bra in place under her white tube top. She slipped on some blue denim short shorts and a open black sleeveless hoodie. It wasn't her fault that sleeping without a bra and in was just so much more comfortable than in some skin tight party dress. She slipped on her black high-heel boots that went just above her knees and walked to the door, opening it right as her friend was about to knock.

             Gain smirked, having come dressed in a open black blazer with a white tube top, black short shorts, netted stockings and stiletto heels. "So you do have s," She laughed, poking Narsha's abdomen. "And you're toned."

             Narsha rolled her eyes and walked out. "Where did you want to go? It's almost midnight." She sighed tiredly, fixing her short hair.

             "Aw don't be so mean. Can't a girl hang out with her bestfriend at a time that is past the legalized curfew?" Narsha narrowed her eyes at Gain and turned around, opening the door again as she deadpanned.

             "No."

             "Hey come on! Be fun for once! You used to be!!" Gain whined, clinging to Narsha's arm, the elder glaring over her shoulder. She rolled her eyes and nodded in defeat, locking the door and walking down the steps with her energetic friend.

             "I should shove you inside a generator. You can energize the entire city's worth of electricity with that energy." She deadpanned again, her words mocking.

             The pair walked about quietly on the streets, cautious of any guards nearby. Of course being who they were, they had an extended, or just outright nullified curfew, but Narsha being so by-the-book still stayed at home once curfew kicked in. A particular reason for it being that the guards didn't know the difference between a normal citizen and a Sign. The passing thought occured to Narsha as she wondered how no guards ever heard the soft, but noticeable click-clacks of their heels.

             It was lucky for them that the subways were still in function past curfew, as they were completely computer-operated. Although it was slightly troublesome getting through the tickets and all. Being Signs, their ID cards were different than that of an average citizen. Unlike the plain white ID cards with a picture of a citizen, a Sign's ID card had a gray-blue line filled with coding and the Sign emblem, otherwise known as the Crescendo sigil imprinted on it.

              Narsha and Gain walked up to the manual ticket booth, where a gloomy-looking tomboy sat around.

              "Night-shifts don't they Amber?" Gain chuckled, the tomboy mimicking Gain's face mockingly and waving them off, holding her hand out for their ID cards.

              "Where ya'll headed to?" Amber asked as she scanned their ID cards, looking at the two semi-clothed girls with interest since it was past curfew, and they looked like they were about to hit up a night club.

              "The Divide." Gain chuckled as she got her ID back and handing Narsha hers. Amber looked at the pair in jealousy, and Narsha even looked dumbfounded. She had never really made it part of herself to go to The Divide and attend pointless "meetings".

              "Man I wish I could go! I heard that place was so sick!!" Amber had to calm herself to sit down again, pouting that she couldn't go. Gain chuckled as she and Narsha started walking towards the subway.

              "Someday."

tumblr_msf833SeQl1sx95l0o3_r1_1280.png
 

              The subway was very, very clean as they stepped in. Literally the floor and hand rails were almost as reflective as the glass windows, and the seats shined. Gain plopped down on one, stretching her legs out across a few of the seats, while Narsha just sat down with a blank face and crossed arms. There was no point in looking out the windows, since it was underground tunnels and therefore the outside just looked black especially compared to the very well-lit subway. Although of course, there were some shakes and bumps along the ride as Gain looked at Narsha and started to complain.

              "Can't you loosen up? Like seriously I feel like you're turning me to stone with your stiffness." Narsha rolled her eyes, debating whether or not to reply to the younger woman. She shook her head and dismissed her, resting one leg over the other with her arms crossed.

tumblr_msf833SeQl1sx95l0o3_r1_1280.png
 

              Arriving to their stop took almost too long for Narsha to handle, fed up with all this random crap. She wasn't even dressed appropriately for a damn night club. Click clack click clack they went down the street as they approached the night club that seemed to be bustling with energy. Narsha was about to enter until Gain waved to follow her further down the road instead. She followed obediently, too tired to even roll her eyes anymore. There was a thin alleyway just a few yards from the club, and she followed Gain through it as they reached a very small clearing. There was a large man standing in front of a door.

             "Miryo invited us, you can let us in Siwon." Gain smiled charmingly at the large man, nodding as he opened the door for the two women. The door led to a flight of stairs going downward. Click clack click clack their heels went as they walked down the stairs to a large, circular clearing. There people inside was almost too many to count, and it seemed rather loud. Narsha almost threw her hand out to claw someone in the face when a hand rested softly on her shoulder. She managed to stop herself from raising her hand as she saw a taller, beautiful woman.

             "So you do have revealing clothes," Miryo mused as she gestured her hand in a "follow me" motion, turning on her heel and walking. "JeA wanted to see the both of you."

            Neither Gain nor Narsha asked any questions, simply following through the crowds of people. It seemed as if the crowd split like the red sea when Miryo walked, whereas the two younger women had to push and shove their way through. Narsha thought to herself the worth of needing to deal with a bunch of people just to get to her boss. Yet, she wondered how she never knew of this place, hidden behind The Divide. Another thing she found strange, JeA being as important as she was, but the hallway leading to some secret room she was in was devoid of any guards for security.

             "Why isn't there any bodyguards here?" Gain asked softly, fearing she might be reprimanded for asking. Miryo decided to answer, and Narsha swore that she could very well hear the smirk in the elder's voice.

             "There is no better security than me." She turned the doorknob on the door at the end of the hallway, holding it open for the two younger ones to enter.

             The room was dark, almost blindingly so and even for Gain and Narsha it took a bit to adjust to seeing in the dark. It looked like an office, but lacking windows. The sheer darkness and lack of light was dehumanizing. Whether it was just their own bodies or not, it felt uncomfortably chilly inside the office. The floor creaked, making Gain hesitant to move a single inch.

             "So you do have cleavage." A rather husky female voice chuckled, displaying a vocal smirk. Narsha rolled her eyes and sighed exaggeratedly in exasperation. She'd literally heard those four words three times already and it was frustrating.

             "Yes I have s, yes I have cleavage, yes I have revealing clothes. Is that so hard to believe?" Narsha snapped, earning another chuckle from the voice. She tried to find the source of the voice, jumping slightly when a white sheet on the desk in front of her moved. Up it went, revealing a figure cloaked in white. A slight shake of the head and the hood fell down, revealing a beautiful woman with long brown hair and a white patch over her left eye. Her lips were dark red, almost as if she drank blood. Her eyes were small and seemed to show sadness and exhaustion, but yet she kept herself as fully operational as she could, rolling herself away from behind the desk to show her entire body covered in a white sheet, and condemned to a wheelchair. This was the leader of Sign, and the CEO of Crescendo, JeA.

             "We have encountered a problem." JeA's voice was unusual in how she spoke. It was like a whisper, but it was still clear and even echoing. Chances were that it seemed that way to them due to the Sign augmentations. Narsha crossed her arms and looked closely at JeA, concentrating on her words. What problem could they possibly run into with their everyday life being dictated?

             "There's been rumors of a rebellion forming, and that needs to be stopped. If the public finds out, a mass-riot will start and nobody will be safe," Miryo explained, sitting on the edge of the desk with her leg crossed over the other. "The last time we had a mass-riot devastated an entire city, and we cannot have that affect the capital city we live in."

             "Simply find the roots of this rumor and take them in for interrogation. By force if necessary." JeA waved her hand dismissively, turning around in her wheelchair after giving her instructions.

tumblr_msf833SeQl1sx95l0o3_r1_1280.png


Comment below your thoughts on chapter 1.
Subscribe.
~Anonymous_BabyG