Parking Lot

Parking Lot - Sam

White steam ascended from your car as you parked it in an open spot. Opening your door, just to slam it as you got out, you paced in front of your car as you popped the hood. More white smoke slewed into the clean air as  you began to pace again. Today was definitely not your day, being late for work after your car stalled a the light then this. You pushed your palm to your temple as several people walked by wondering what the big deal was. 

A man walked from the building that you were working at and saw that you were in distress. He wondered what was going on, he thought that he would continue walking but then he thought,

Who else would help you if he didn’t?

He walked over to you, studying you as you tried to hid your tears.

"Hello?" He said holding the shoulder strap of his bag as he tried to make eye contact with you.

"Yeah. What do you want?" You scoffed at him, not minding your manners. He chuckled at your little question.

"I just want to help you. I know a little about cars, maybe I could help you?" He said as he walked closer to your car and looked under the hood.

"Sure, see what you can do." Leaning on the side panel of your car you watched him as his hands followed tubes and tightened bolts. His eyes fixated on several different areas as you saw his mind start to eliminate possible diagnosis for your car troubles. His hands became covered with a black grease as he pulled on some things and twisted.

"Do you have any electrical tape?" He asked as he looked up at you with his kind eyes. Turning to go look in your car you found some in your glove compartment as you came back to hand it to him. "Can you help me, this is a two person job?" You nodded.

"Just tell me what to do." You said as he smiled at you, looking back down at the ripped tube.

"Ok, hold right there where my fingers are, then over here and push it together as I wrap the tape around." You nodded as he gave you orders, holding it as steady as you could, his arms and hands worked around yours as he taped up the tube, just for a quick fix.

"There you go" He said as he wiped his hands on a rag that he had.

"Thank you so much!" Smiling at him, he closed your hood.

"Where are you headed?" He asked as he cleaned his hands more with the rag.

"Oh just to the little diner down the street, but my car suddenly had to have an attack." You giggled as he laughed. "But I doubt that I can get there now, I am already late for my shift. They already are over staffed anyways." You said.

"How about we get this car to your place and then I can walk home." He smiled knowing that if your care broke down, he would be right there to help.

"Sure, whatever I can do to repay you for fixing my car." You said as you walked towards your door, opening it. He followed as you both sat into your cozy car. Starting it up you, pulled out of the parking lot as he gave you directions to his place. Pulling into his driveway, your car suddenly acted up again and stalled in his driveway. You hit your steering wheel with your hand as he opened the door.

"Blast this car" You mumbled as your head rested against the steering wheel.

"Do you want to come in? I might could fix your car, I have some tools and extra parts laying around. If you want to wait." His kind eyes met yours again and made you have butterflies.

"I don’t want to intrude." You said quietly.

"I don’t want you to be car less." He chuckled as you smiled, getting out of the car with him. He led you into his house, as he went to go change to properly fix your car. He came back out in a black tank top and shorts as you threw him your keys to your car. He opened his garage and began to work on your car. You watched from the window, watching his glistening skin against the warm midday heat. Walking out of his house, you brought him out a glass of water with ice.

"I thought you could use a little break" You said as he tightened a bolt one more time before sitting down and taking the glass from your hands. You sat next to him happily as he sipped on his cool water.

"So, what’s wrong with my car?" You asked not wanting to stay here longer than you had to.

"Oh, you know, you tore three more tubes while driving over here, your oil is dirty so I cleaned it for you, then I filled up your lubes and liquids. Your car was basically a driving zombie." He laughed as he placed his glass on the concrete.

"I’m really sorry, you don’t have to fix it. I can call someone to pick it up." You said not hoping to burden him.

"No, it is really fine. I don’t mind at all. I am glad that your car broke so that I could get to know you a little bit." He blushed as he got up and worked on the car as a smile crept onto your face.

"Sorry about my rude behavior earlier-" He cut you off as you stood up

"No problem, everyone has their days, yours just was a little worse today." He said like it was no big deal.

"Then you do you need a qualified helper?" You leaned against the car with your forearms.

"I would love one, only if she can tell me more about herself while I fix her car." He gave you a sly smile as you blushed agreeing to his conditions.

You never knew that your broken, run down car could actually help you in more ways then one.