1

Heal

It was too quick-and there was glass and screaming and red and grey and pain and pitch darkness. Everything was too painfully numb. Everything was too painfully out of control and in spirals and it just won't stop. He begged for everything to just stop. He begged they would be fine. He begged that his other half would be fine. 

Its almost the end of Minho's shift when his beeper suddenly beeped. Alerting him that an accident has happened and he's been called to hurry the up and get to the victims. He runs in his scrubs to the emergency room and he sees a few nurses surrounding an unconscious body of a young boy.  

Another victim had died on the spot of the accident and this boy was the only survivor. His pale skin was in contrast of the red liquid seeping through the cuts. His leg seemed broken and his head had a large cut. He was bleeding and if he suffered any more loss of blood, Minho doubt he would survive.

As a doctor, this was a sight Minho is used to. He put on his gloves, took a deep breath before his hands and head started to gear up and safe this young blond.  

 

 

Its the next day when Minho walks into the hospital while he plays with his car keys in one hand. He walks in and spots the young boy he treated yesterday sitting on one of the benches. He should not be out of bed yet and how the hell did he walk with his right leg plastered with cement like that? 

 

"Hey, what are you doing here?" The doctor asks his patient. The boy looks at him, eyes red. Minho assumes he had been crying.  

" I don't know."

 

 

 

His patient, this 20 year old by the name of Lee Taemin is not a star patient. He is difficult. He refuses to take his medicine and he keeps dissappearing into corners of the hospital. 

"Taemin. How are you feeling today? " Minho smiles at the boy softly. He knows he has to be gentle to this boy. He had learned that the other victim that had died in the accident was the boy's lover. His name was Kim Jonghyun. Minho had never been in love but he'd assume it be hard to lose someone so close to you.  

"Why?" The boy asks him suddenly.  

"What do you mean?" 

"Why didn't you just let me die with him?" The blonde asks him. 

"Its my job to save you." Minho answers.  

"And its my job to be with him. You made me break my promise to him." 

 

 

Its a week later when Taemin gets discharged from the hospital and honestly Minho is afraid to let the boy out of the hospital. He thinks that the boy is potentially capable of hurting himself. 

But he couldn't make Taemin stay. The boy was healthy enough and other patients were waiting in line to occupy the room. And so Taemin left the hospital at 9 am when Minho's shift had just started.

When it was already 4pm when Minho's grueling shift finally ended, he walks out of the hospital, heading to his car parked outside when he spots the boy again. Sitting on the pavement of the road and looking at his feet. How long has he been sitting there?  

 

" Taemin?" The doctor calls out the boy. And Taemin looks up at him and Minho felt his heart breaking. He looked so lost. So broken.

"What? "He says back.  

"Why are you here?" Minho kneels in front of him. 

"I don't want to go home. " the boy says like a child. 

"Why?" 

"If I ing go home, I'll be waiting for him to ing come back. But he won't and I'll cry." 

"How about you stay over my place for a while?" Minho offers. He knows he shouldn't get attached to patients but Taemin-well he was Taemin and that made him a little special.

 "But-"

"You don't have anywhere else to go do you?" 

"No." 

"So let's get to my car. Its parke-" 

"No cars." the boy says. Minho guesses he's probably scared.

"Okay." 

So they walk home. And it took an hour because Taemin's leg was still hurting and he wouldn't let Minho carry him. 

 

 

Living with Taemin was awkward. Mostly because Taemin didn't talk much nor would he give Minho a chance to talk to him.

He disappears in the morning and comes back late at night, making Minho worried. 

 

"Where did you go?" 

"Out." 

"Where? " 

"Everywhere." 

 

He seems to be eating but he really doesn't. He merely plays with his spoon. Staring at his bowl of pretties and pouring them into Minho's own bowl when he says he can't finish.  

 

"Aren't you hungry?" 

"I've had enough." 

"That's-" 

"I'm full." 

 

 

He doesn't sleep. Because Minho can hear him talking at night. And it breaks Minho's heart everytime he sees the boy talking to him

 

"Jjong-why? Why can't I feel you anymore?" 

 

 

So Minho tries his best to make Taemin feel better. He's a doctor and its his job to heal. 

He would take Taemin out to the park. To the mall. To the movies. To the carnival. To the zoo. To the bird park. To the museum. To the grocery store down the street. To the cafe. To the new bakery in town. To play soccer in the fields. To the ice-cream parlour.

 

He would try to make Taemin laugh. Buying all the little prank toys. Dressing up in silly costumes ( making a mental note never to wear the itchy frog costume ever again). He bought tickets to the circus. And took Taemin to a comedy show. He made silly knock-knock jokes. But no-Taemin just wouldn't smile. 

 

 And then when all things seemed not to work out, he took Taemin to see a psychiatrist. His friend Onew.

 

"I'm not losing my mind." Taemin stares at him when he took the boy to the office. 

"I know you're not. But it'll be nice to talk to someone." 

 

And yes, after seeing Onew's 10000 watt smile, Taemin was coaxed enough to enter the office. 

 

 

It was one afternoon when Minho's shift got cancelled and he got home early. When he sees Taemin's shoes on the rack but not the boy. 

He searches around his three-bedroom apartment and finds the boy under the raining shower, crying in his knees. His clothes were all wet and his eyes all red. 

Minho knows he should close up the shower and bring Taemin a towel but he doesn't.  

He instead joins Taemin. Sitting next to him on the tiled floors. Getting his clothes wet . Taemin rested his head on Minho's shoulder. Weeping into it under the cold water.

Minho knows they might get a ing fever tomorrow . But he knew Taemin needed to cry. He knew he couldn't let Taemin cry alone. 

 

 

Its another morning when Taemin talks to him. Really talks to him. 

 

 "It was my fault-the accident. It was my fault." He says. Minho nods and he lets the boy talk some more.

"I was mad at him-and he was trying to make me feel better. So he tried to kiss me. That stupid bastard was driving and he was trying to kiss me." Taemin says with a bitter smile.  

And Minho knew Taemin was beginning to heal. 

 

 

Its another day when suddenly he hears loud laughter emitting through the halls of his apartment.  

Minho walks into the kitchen and sees Taemin with a box of new cereals he had just bought. He was laughing. Bells were ringing in his ears.  

"Tae-" 

"Minho look-the pirate on this box is green. He's green Minho. Its so funny." He cluthes to his tummy. His face was all red. His lungs were burning for air. His eyes all shaped up like a crescent moon. Taemin had honestly laughed his off.

No-Minho did not find it funny. Captain Green had always been green. He didn't know why Taemin found that funny. But he couldn't help himself to join the boy because really-it was the first time he has heard Taemin laughed. 

 

 

 

Its on Taemin's fifth visit to Onew when the psychiatrist told Minho that 

"He's healing." Onew says when Taemin exits to go to the bathroom.

"Yeah?" Minho says back. Feeling glad because he knew Onew wouldn't lie to him.  

"Taemin doesn't talk about Jonghyun that often anymore." Onew says softly. 

"What does he talk about then?" 

"You. He talks about you." 

 

 

 

It a few moons, a few rainy days, a couple of sunny days later when he finds Taemin on the roof top of his building. Staring at the sky and its moving clouds.  

Minho walks at sits next to him on the floor of the roof. He looks at Taemin's blown by the wind hair. His skin with the touch of the gold sun. His eyes looking in peace. His cheeks a soft pink. He looks different from when Minho had first found him.  

It was when the sun started to set when Taemin took his hand and held it tight. Minho was surprised at how soft and warm the boy's hand was. 

 

"Minho." He calls out softly. As though he was about to say something important.  

"Yes?" 

"Thank you." 

"For what? " 

"For saving me."