「♛」 One.

Floating Above

Chapter one “Rainy day”

 

   It was raining that day. The clouds were dark and sad, their tears falling on the world below them. The streets were lonely. It seemed that everyone had gone home; had escaped to some place that would envelope them in warmth, in love. The roads were slick and cars that would zoom by would make those skidding sounds against the moistened asphalt. The trees swayed with the strong breeze and leaves would be forced to detach themselves from their roots and would flow instead in the puddles. From time to time, thunder would resound in the gloomy pavements and lightning would strike, terrifying probably the people who resided in the surrounding buildings. There were colorful umbrellas placed outside a convenience store to dry in the shade there. From inside the homey shop, laughter and chattering would squeeze themselves out through the slit of the automatic doors and off to the dim world outside. It was a dreary day.

   "Bad weather today, too, huh?"

   "I guess so"

   He sat by the window as he read through the newspaper that dated from yesterday. He wore a plain white button-down, two buttons from the top ed and plain black trousers hung tightly to his long, slender legs. He was barefooted at the time and his sneakers rested below the couch he was comfortably sitting on. On the left stood his office desk on which two folders were stacked on, crumpled but useable papers, a mug filled with ball pens, an empty picture frame and his name engraved on a platinum nameplate also decorated the wooden desk. The leather chair behind the table was occupied by a bored fellow. He sat on the chair backwards, the backrest of the furniture being used as an armrest instead. He spun once, twice then stopped. He was getting dizzy.

   "Kyuhyun," the now dizzy fellow called for his companion's attention. "Is it still pouring out?"

   The other man looked up from his newspaper and glanced outside the window.

   "Looks like it. You should go home."

   "I really, really want to but..."

   "But what?"

   "It's scary outside." The fellow squeaked as he pulled himself toward the desk to rest his head there.

Kyuhyun stretched his arms, placed the newspaper on the coffee table beside the couch and sighed.

    “You should’ve stayed at home, Donghae, if you’re just going to whine about the outside world.”

    “I came here knowing that you’d be alone. Cut me some slack, Kyu,” Donghae said while casting his best friend a knowing look.

    Thunder roared that time and Donghae jumped in his seat for the fifth time that afternoon. Kyuhyun lied down, his head propped over the couch’s armrest as he stared at the ceiling.

    “You know, if you knew going here was gonna be an ordeal, then you shouldn’t have come.”

    Donghae frowned.

    “Hey—“

    “But I appreciate your time. It was getting really lonely here.”

    Kyuhyun shifted his attention to the window, catching a glimpse of the dark sky and the raindrops that trickled against the glass. Donghae was toying with his best friend’s nameplate this time. He poked the stand and scratched at the platinum surface. The action left small marks but Donghae figured Kyuhyun wouldn’t mind.

    “Can’t we just go home together?”

    Kyuhyun stretched a finger out and traced the cold glass. The rain was getting stronger.

    “I have a client in the next,” Kyuhyun paused and looked at the clock from across the room. “Five minutes.”

    “Oh,” Donghae said as he got up from the chair, spinning it around to its original front and pushing it closer to the desk. “I’ll get something to eat then. Or see what Hankyung hyung and Hyukkie’s up to in the lobby. See ya.”

    Donghae patted Kyuhyun’s head on his way out. When the door closed behind him, lightning struck and Kyuhyun could just imagine the look on his face. But then, it was silent again. The rain made no noise just the lightning and thunder did. Kyuhyun couldn’t even hear the clock ticking or the people chatting outside.

    “Like it’s dead here,” Kyuhyun mumbled as he sat up and slipped his sneakers on.

   He went to his desk, sat on the chair and pulled one folder over to him. It was his next client’s résumé. He had read through the papers for at least two times, currently being the third. He found it odd, the résumé. For whatever reasons, he couldn’t say. He just found it strange. Simply that – it was strange. Kyuhyun closed the folder, tossed it over the other folder and reclined in his seat. With closed eyes, he hummed a self-composed tune. It was random, as all times he hummed when he was bored. He hunched forward now, taking a pen from his mug and biting the base. It was an old habit he developed during high school. He usually did it when he finished tests and was waiting for the others to finish as well. Somehow, Kyuhyun found his biting habit helpful, at least, when he got bored or something.

  There was a knock on the door. Kyuhyun checked the clock and discovered that seven minutes had already passed from when Donghae left earlier. He got to his feet, dusted off his pants and walked to the door to welcome his client.

    Kyuhyun’s client was a girl. A very pretty girl.

 

Image

 

 Author's note Hello ouo this chapter isn't as long/great as I'd hope for it to be, but at least I didn't complerely mess up the coding x_x anyways, please leave your thoughts below, blah blah blah, enjoy~ ^^