final

pick-me-up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun hated feeling small.  He hated knowing what it meant to be insignificant, inferior, second-best, or in simpler terms; just not good enough.

And that in turn, made him feel small.

You think he’s pessimistic, right?  But he wasn’t always like this.  He didn’t want to be like this either.  But he keeps falling back into this hole of his, it’s the one he has unconsciously dug for himself, and every time he takes notice, the hole seems to have grown bigger and bigger.

When the usual dance practice ended, an unusual thing happened.  At the time, he was being reprimanded again by Mr. Angry Brows (also known as his dance trainer) and he had suddenly realised something.  He had gotten to the point, where he already took this for granted, like it was something to expect.  How sad.  Because he wasn’t even surprised that Angry Brows was scolding him, reminding him of his worthlessness.  It had turned into a routine. 

When he had finally stopped blabbering, he slumped back onto the ground, his backside slump back against the large mirror of the practice room, his body exhausted from the relentless training.

That was when a skinny outstretched hand holding a water bottle, appeared in front of him.

“You thirsty?”  The owner of the hand asked, his voice deep and soft.  It was strangely calming, he thought, which was probably a weird thing to think, since Sehun didn’t even know the guy.

Sehun looked up to see how this mystery guy looked like and there stood an equally sweaty guy as him, but that was just about where the similarities stopped.  He looked around his age, possibly younger with his bright beady eyes, and delicate features.  Ok, scratch that, he looked like a little kid.  Sehun had seen him in class before.  What was his name again? 

As if he knew what was on his mind, the boy offered his name, “It’s Luhan.”

Judging from his tone, he didn’t seem offended that he didn’t know his name, so he took it as he didn’t mind.  Now that he had his name, he had a clearer idea of who he was.  Luhan.  He was from the new intakes of trainees this year.  A Chinese trainee. He usually didn’t bother making friends with new trainees, because who knew how long they could cope with what the company was pressuring onto them.  He was surprised at himself for staying so long. 

“Catch!” 

Sehun just managed to take hold of the incoming bottle, this Luhan had decided to throw into his face. 

“It’s usually polite to respond to other people’s offer.”  He said amusedly before taking off. 

It was at this moment, when Sehun realised something else.  He knew that his life was going to change from that moment on.  How would it change, he didn’t know yet but from the feeling in his gut and Luhan’s smile imprinted in his head, he knew things would change. 

- - - 

He learnt that Luhan was friendly and open.  And that he was actually four years older than him but not one bit less mischievous. 

Sehun learnt that he had been studying Korean during an exchange program, but he was always self-conscious in how fluent his Korean was.  And that he always had wanted to be a singer, but his parents opposed the idea and he flew all the way to Korea anyway.

If Sehun had to describe Luhan, he would describe him as the soft sunlight that peeked through the gaps of the leaves of the tree. 

Because it never felt pressuring to be within Luhan’s company.  He didn’t try and boast of his achievements and have the need to prove that he was better than Sehun.  He never told him he had to try harder. He always listened carefully to Sehun’s worries, his complaints, his stories and his dreams. 

His body always felt lighter when he was with Luhan.  Luhan’s arm hung over his shoulder, his playful finger poking him on his cheeks.  He felt strangely healed.  His heart also started humming faster.  Sehun didn’t know if this was a good or bad thing.

- - -

Between worrying about not being able to debu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter