Chapter one

Darkness

 

"We have breaking news just in. Rising actress Kwon Jihyun, girlfriend of Big Bang’s Taeyang, has been admitted to Seoul Hospital after a serious filming mishap at the set of her newest drama. There are rumours circulating that the actress has lost her eyesight due to the accident but this has yet to be confirmed," 
 
Rumours.
 
Yet to be confirmed.
 
Oh, how she wished it were true. How she wished it were just a rumour. 
 
Jihyun screamed at the television and fumbled around blindly on the hospital bed, hands groping around for the remote control. Her long slender fingers jabbed wildly at the buttons on the control and she sobbed frustratedly when she could not find the right button to mute the bloody news channel.
 
She couldn’t take anymore. She covered her ears to drown out the news anchor reporting about her accident and her body racked with sobs as her heart broke with every breath she took.
 
"Three rows of light beams hanging overhead of the set was said to have short circuited and exploded, falling directly on the actress and her co-actors,"
 
She remembered everything in horrifying detail.
 
"The rest of the cast suffered minor cuts and injuries only, as released in a statement from the PDs of the drama whereas there has yet to be an official statement released on the condition of actress Kwon Jihyun,"
 
The sound of the exploding lights overhead, the collective screams and gasps of the cast and crew. 
 
"There are rumours circulating of the actress going blind due to the serious accident has yet to be confirmed,"
 
The sharp pain as glass and sparks rained down on her face, arms and legs.
 
"Fans are all praying for good news from YG Entertainment, the young actress’ agency. Kwon Jihyun’s representatives are rushing to prepare a statement on her condition,"
 
And finally the impact of the metal frames piling down over her body.
 
She remembered it all. The pain blossoming in her eyes as the glass shards hit her, the strange wetness against her cheeks, the lightheadedness and the panic when she opened her eyes with difficulty two days later only to see darkness.
 
Darkness was the absence of light.
 
This was now her world.
 
She wept and wept. There was no word in the dictionary to describe what she was feeling. 
 
Pain. 
 
Sorrow.
 
Disappointment. 
 
Panic. 
 
Failure. 
 
Distress.
 
She was officially blind.
 
Suddenly she heard the door of her private hospital room open and fear coursed through her heart. Jihyun wiped away her tears hurriedly and curled up on her bed, hiding her face behind a curtain of hair. She didn’t want anyone to see the nation’s rising actress in this pathetic state. 
 
Her state.
 
"Jagiya," a low, melodic voice breathed. It was Youngbae, or Taeyang, her boyfriend. She turned around, facing his direction. "O-oppa, I thought you had schedules today?" She asked, confusion furrowing her sightless eyes.
 
"I did, I do, but practice can wait. You come first to me always, Jihyun-ah," he said softly, strands of her hair away from her forehead. The bed shifted downward slightly as he climbed into the bed beside his blind girlfriend. 
 
"Any news from the doctors?" He asked quietly, intertwining his fingers with her delicate ones. Tears pooled in Jihyun’s eyes as she shook her head slowly. 
 
"It’s been three days, my eyesight isn’t returning. They think I might never recover," her voice shook. 
 
Taeyang held her hand tightly. “Never? I don’t think I’m familiar with the concept of never,” he joked.
 
Jihyun pulled her hand free. “I’m blind, oppa. I will never see again,” she choked up, salty tears springing forward and spilling over. Taeyang wordlessly pulled her closer to him, resting her head against his chest and his chin on the crown of her head.
 
He held her close with his arms around her, providing everything Jihyun needed; warmth, strength, protection, familiarity. Taeyang rocked her back and forth, his whispers of comforting words calming Jihyun down just the littlest bit.
 
Seeing her that way hurt his heart in so many ways he hadn’t thought possible. The strong Kwon Jihyun with never-ending smiles and overflowing confidence and laughter, the woman he had fallen head over heels for, had been reduced to a dull and scared little girl in the shell of a grown woman.
 
She was so vulnerable, so insecure that it pained him to know that she thought she was alone in the depths of the darkness. Jihyun thought she had been thrown into a dark prison cell with no way out and it killed him to see that thought echo in her sightless eyes.
 
Taeyang’s hold on her tightened infinitesimally. His eyes hardened with determination as he looked down at Jihyun’s broken self.
 
He, Dong Youngbae, would be the light in her darkness.
 
He, Taeyang, would be her one and only sun.
 
The bright ray of sunshine chasing away all the black clouds of sadness, of pain.
 
He would bring back happiness into her life - even if she could not see him, he would always be there.
 
Darkness never lasted, and he would prove it.