BF/GF/BFF

Gazing From Afar

              “Fany, come on, you’re going to be late!” The tall brunette shouted from the bottom of the staircase to her best friend’s room. She had been waiting almost 20 minutes for her to finish getting dressed. Tiffany always took forever to get up, claiming to have to put on makeup, pick the best clothes, brush her hair a certain amount of times before it was exactly perfect and how she wanted. That’s why she always got up early to get everything done, but she overslept past her alarm clock this time, meaning she needed to forget about her morning routine.

 

                “What do you mean, ‘you’re’? Aren’t you coming with me, Soo?” Tiffany looked over the railings of the second floor, her brush in her hair as she didn’t finish yet. Sooyoung pouted upon seeing this, she was sure they were going to end up being late, again, in class.

 

                “No, not if you’re taking this long! I’m leaving now, Tiffany.” Sooyoung announced and turned around to leave. Tiffany shouted and ran after her. Grabbing her book-bag along the way. “Wait, wait, wait!” She finally was able to grab the girl’s arm just when she was about to open the door. Sooyoung turned around and eyed her as if she didn’t believe her.  “Okay, I’m here, I’m done, we can go now.”

 

                Sooyoung nodded once in acknowledgment and continued out the door, closely followed by her older friend. “If we’re late, I’m going to cook your later, Tiffany.” The taller girl warned as she held a disappointed finger up to her face. “Alright, Alright, I won’t okay!” Tiffany chuckled and grinned, looking up at Sooyoung as she turned back to the sidewalk ahead of them.

 

                Having taken notice that her friend’s staring didn’t stop, she raised an eyebrow and looked sideways to her. “What?” She asked with an indifferent tone. “Nothing, just. You look very pretty today.” She fake punched Tiffany in her arm and snickered. “Don’t I look pretty every day?” Tiffany then raised a skeptical eyebrow up at her, nudging her hard enough to almost make her trip. “Nope. You look hideous at school every morning.” “Well, I was going to say you looked beautiful too, but now I’ll go with—“ “Too late! You already said it!” Tiffany teased and laughed at her. They began a poking contest, seeing who would back out first.

                They weren’t able to see who won the competition, having arrived faster than they wanted to school. Once inside the classroom, cheering that they weren’t late again, they got into their seats in the back along with more friends of theirs.

                The whole class, Tiffany couldn’t concentrate. Sooyoung was sitting diagonal from her, a perfect line of vision for her. Sooyoung didn’t notice once that she was being watched. That made Tiffany all the happier. It was until the teacher called to her, did she snap out of her daydream. “Hm?” She sounded as she heard her name. The teacher rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. “Tiffany Hwang, this is the fifth time I’ve caught you not paying attention in this class.” Tiffany frowned and flipped open her notebook. Then, grabbed her pencil to write the things on the board.

                It wasn’t but an hour later did the bell ring for the kids to leave. People were looking at her and snickering as they left, apparently not forgetting about her public outing by the teacher. She gathered her bag and supplies to carry out when she felt a tap on her shoulder. “So, I heard that you were staring at me.” Tiffany looked up from her bag to meet the face of a friend she knew from camp. They hadn’t talked since they started school. “Hm?” She then looked to her side to see Sooyoung sitting on her desk and watching the two with a grin on her face. Sooyoung was rooting for her. Hoping she would land a boyfriend. Tiffany frowned and looked back up to the boy still standing in front of her.

                “So, would you like to go out for dinner sometime?” He asked genuinely and sweetly. She bit her lip and shrugged, standing up with her things packed. “Sure Kris, pick me up at 7.” Before she walked completely past him she stopped to whisper in his ear, “And this is not a date.”, then briskly walked off.

                “I hear you got a date Ms. Player~ I didn’t know you had game.” Sooyoung urged on her friend, who just scowled at her. “I do not and I was not staring at him.” She replied firmly with arms crossed over her chest. This is what she was afraid would’ve happened. People would mistake her for staring at someone else, when it was really her best friend. She could never tell her that though, so maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing that everyone thought it was Kris. He was one of the hot guys in their school. Unfortunately though, Tiffany did not ‘swing that way’. She was full on lesbian, completely in love with her best friend.

                “Don’t be so stubborn, Fany. Any girl would kill to date him, and you just picked him up within five minutes. Tell me that doesn’t make you happy.” She challenged so Tiffany sped up a little to stand in front of her, her hands now resting on either side of her hips. Slowly and over pronounciating every word she said the words back to her.

                “I. Don’t. Like. Kris.” She said, vowing to herself that would be the last time she would deny her misunderstanding. Sooyoung was startled and just stood there blinking. There always something about the fiery side to Tiffany that drew her to her best friend. That was how they became best friends in middle school anyways. Sooyoung got the message without the older girl having to tell her.

                “Fine, I won’t bother you about it anymore.” Tiffany nodded in approval and walked off to her next class. While her friend had stopped bombarding her with the date, that didn’t stop the rest of the jealous girls form scowling at her. They told her things like ‘She wasn’t in his league.’ And ‘Don’t even bother trying to like him.’ Sometimes even the ‘He’s just using you as a charity case.’ Tiffany had had about enough by the time she got home.

                She pulled out her phone after plopping down on her bed exhaustedly. Before she was able to start playing some games her phone started ringing from an unknown user calling. “Hello….?” The anonymous voice said. “Um..Hi, who is this?” She asked, concerned, thinking it’s some prank call. “This is Kris! Is this Tiffany…?” Surprised that he had gotten her number, she sat up immediately and crinkled her eyebrows. “How did you get my number?”

                “Oh, your friend gave it to me. What’s her name….ah…Sooyeon?”

                “Sooyoung.” She stated back firmly, sure that her cold tone was heard through the speaker.

                “Look, I don’t want to go on this…..whatever you call it. I wasn’t looking at you, so just drop it.”

                “Why are you denying it, Fany? Its ok, I’m into you also. So, I’ll see you at the restaurant at 7. Petey’s Sushi. Bye, babe.”

                “Don’t call me babe!” She shouted just as the line cut off. An angry growl was screamed into her pillow from her being frustrated. That was until she got an idea. She sat up quickly again and dialed a number in.

                “Sooyoung. You wanna go out to eat?” She knew her best friend wouldn’t dare refuse the promise of food.

                 Hours later Tiffany had gotten dressed and was waiting outside the restaurant she was told to go to. She was waiting for the other party to show up, seeing Kris hadn’t het, and neither did Sooyoung, so it was good so far.

                  She was lost in her thoughts for a while until she saw a certain someone standing in her view. “Fany, I’m here!” Tiffany looked up and was in a daze. Sooyoung was wearing a red mini dress. It sparked in certain areas and Tiffany couldn’t take her eyes off of her. “Wow, Soo you look—“

                  “Tiff--! Hey, this is the girl that gave me your number.” A loud Kris interrupted her before she could finish her sentence and Tiffany rolled her eyes. “Yeah, this is her, her name is Sooyoung by the way.” She said again, making sure not to hide the boldness in her voice.

                  “Well what’s she doing here?” He asked a little uneasy, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his pants. “She’s going to eat with us~” Once she dropped the news, Sooyoung grinned and made her way inside. Seeing she was out of earshot Kris moved in close to Tiffany. “Why the hell did you invite her? This is supposed to be a date for us.” While rolling her eyes, she stood and crossed her arms over her blouse. “I told you this wasn’t a date.” With that, she her heel and headed inside to join her friend, who already got them a seat.

                 It had been half an hour into the dinner, Sooyoung and Tiffany were nonstop laughing and Kris was on the other end, obviously not enjoying his time. They paid no attention to his stern attitude, or the fact he had took out his phone.

                 Their laughter continued on and on until someone loudly placed a chair between Tiffany and Sooyoung’s. Separating the two from each other. Tiffany had thought it was Kris until she looked up and saw a different face. “What is he doing here?” She asked to the boy across the table, smirking.

                “Oh this is Chanyeol, my best friend. I wanted to introduce him to Sooyoung.” He said smugly. Tiffany wasn’t having it. She was getting antsy. Before she were to say anymore she grabbed Sooyoung’s hand and dragged her away from the table.

               “Have a nice dinner you two, me and Soo are leaving.” There were no words exchanged as the duo left the restaurant and hurried out to the streets.

                “What was all that about?” Sooyoung asked curiously.

                “I can’t just sit in the backseat anymore. I don’t want to see any guys flirting with you anymore. I can’t stand it.”

                “Oh Tiffany it’s ok—‘

                “No! It’s not ok! You’re my best friend, I shouldn’t feel this way about you. It’s not right. I’ve been fighting this for so long an—“

                Tiffany was cut off by the lips of her best friend’s on hers. She cupped her cheek gently and didn’t even think twice about it as they shared a kiss.