Broken Promise [Part 01]

I'm Your Man

 

Part 01

If anyone comes to talk to me, I will ignore them.

If they keep on coming trying to seduce me, I will stay cold.

But even though I promise this to myself again and again,

I know it will be useless...

 

“Wait for me Soo Youngie.”

Waving her hands for the final time, she finally bid farewell towards Jun Ho who has disappeared behind the walls. Even though a smile was still plastered on her face, her heart was shattering into million of pieces inside.

It’s just 2 years, she told herself calmly as she retreated back slowly. 24 months is going to pass by quickly. Isn’t that what-

“Oops, sorry!” someone interrupted her thoughts from behind. She felt her back crashing into another figure and it made her stumble in her steps. Her arms flail wildly as she tried to regain her composure.

“It’s okay, I’ve got you,” a deep manly voice spoke up suddenly as a pair of strong arms supported her weight easily. Holding her up steadily, the stranger started to clean off the speck of dirt from her black leather jacket, Jun Ho’s leather jacket.

“I’m so sorry,” Soo Young apologised profusely as she continued to bow down incessantly. “I wasn’t watching where I was going. Did I break anything?” she asked, eyeing the black suitcase set on the floor next to the man’s left side.

“No, but you probably broke a rib or two of mine when you crashed into me,” he told her jokingly, with an amused glint in his deep set eyes.

A small bashful smile started to spread across her face as Soo Young looked down at her shoes in embarrassment.

“Hey, I’m just kidding,” he continued with a chuckle. “I’m all good and fine. No worries okay?”

Soo Young nodded gratefully and glanced around her surrounding in an awkward manner.

“So, you probably should get going now. Or you’d be late for your flight,” she motioned towards the entrance with a little tilt of her head.

“What? Oh no, no. I’ve just arrived here in Seoul. It’s been years since I was last here,” he informed her without being asked. Taking a look around, he nodded his head in admiration.

“It seems like nothing much has changed. Possibly, it’s become more beautiful and scenic than the last time?”

Adjusting the strap of her bag on her shoulder, Soo Young shifted in her spot uncomfortably. She wasn’t used to talking to strangers, especially a handsome one. It was kind of hard for someone as socially awkward as her.

“I guess Seoul has become on of the most beautiful places in the world,” she agreed politely and pretended to check the timing on her watch. “Oh, I’m sorry but I have to go now. It was nice talking to you and I’m sorry once again for bumping into you like that.”

A look of confusion waved over his face momentarily. He started to open his mouth, as if to stop her from going but almost instantly, his attractive playful grin appeared once again.

“Oh okay. It was certainly nice bumping into you. Let’s hope if we see each other again next time, we would be able to avoid anymore physical injuries,” he joked lightly.

Soo Young managed a small laugh as she nodded her head in agreement.

Neh. Have fun here in Seoul.”

The stranger raised up his hand and lifted two fingers in a peace sign to salute her goodbye. Soo Young bowed down her head slightly before excusing herself away.

Who would’ve thought they would really have a second meeting.

 

“Soo Young-ah, if you keep sitting there and staring out the window continuously, your jaw is going to drop off soon,” Doo Joon teased his younger cousin playfully.

“Ah, oppa,” Soo Young sighed and drew her knees closer to her. Placing her chin on top of her forearm, she continued to pout miserably. “It’s only been one week. But I’m already missing Jun Ho a lot.”

“There’s still many weeks to come,” Doo Joon told her matter-of-factly as he plopped himself down beside the distressed girl. “Ow, what was that for?” he winced when Soo Young hit him on the arm, hard.

“Don’t remind me about the weeks,” she rolled her eyes. “It’s bad enough I’m missing him this bad.”

Doo Joon went quiet for a moment.

“Did he ask you to marry him already?”

A smile tugged at the corner of her lips but Soo Young forced herself to keep a straight face.

“What kind of question is that oppa?”

“Yah, don’t use aegyo on me. Pali, tell me. Did he ask you to marry him already?” he asked urgently, pulling at her arm.

Soo Young let out a loud exasperated sigh.

“He just gave me this ring...”

“He gave you a ring already?” Doo Joon shrieked in disbelief. “Yah, what is that pabo thinking? You’re still young. You’re still studying. You still need to-

Oppa!” Soo Young cut him off forcefully. “Get a grip of yourself won’t you?”

“But you told me he gave you a ring!” Doo Joon said absurdly. “How else do you expect me to react?”

“It’s just a promise ring!”

“Oh. Oh, a promise ring,” Doo Joon smiled when realisation hit him. “Okay, that is acceptable. But why aren’t you wearing it?”

“It’s very precious to me,” Soo Young said proudly, stretching her legs out lazily as she stifled a yawn. “I’ll keep it safely until he comes back. You know how careless I am with things. I don’t want to lose it.”

Doo Joon wrapped an arm around her shoulders casually.

“You know Soo Youngie, you’re a very lucky girl,” he nodded thoughtfully. “Jun Ho is a very good man. He’s responsible, romantic, caring...Yah, stop it,” Doo Joon nudged her when a dreamy look appeared on Soo Young’s youthful face. “Aish, I can’t praise your boyfriend for even a bit.”

“I am lucky aren’t I?”

“Yah this girl,” Doo Joon shook his head but he couldn’t help but smile too. “I am very happy for you Soo Youngie,” he told her sincerely. “I’ve been trying my best to guide you ever since your parents left you in my care. My mind is at ease to shift this responsibility towards Jun Ho after this. I know he would take good care of you too.”

Soo Young leaned her head against his chest gratefully.

“Thank you. Thank you for taking care of me all these while, thank you for giving us your blessings.”

Doo Joon ruffled her hair good-naturedly.

“Done with this sappy talk. By the way, are you free tomorrow?”

Soo Young glanced up at him curiously.

“I think so. Why?”

“Come, accompany me somewhere. I’ll introduce you to one of my close buddies. It’s been so long since we last talked to each other.”