Like A Fiction Movie [Part o5]

I'm Your Man

 

Doo Joon rubbed his eyes sleepily as he dragged his feet towards the bathroom to take a shower. He had woken up to a splitting headache (which he has no idea how he had gotten it) and he knows there’s something important that he needs to do, but he couldn’t seem to recall what it is.

 

He placed his palm on the translucent white door, ready to push it open – but at the same time, it was already pulled open from the other side.

 

His eyes widened when he saw the figure in front of him.

 

The other person must’ve been shocked too, because she hurriedly shrank back and slammed the door close in his face.

 

Doo Joon gave himself a mental smack. Of course, how could he have forgotten it? He had brought Nicole home last night, after her house had been broken into. He must’ve been really tired after making the necessary calls that he immediately went to sleep, forgetting about the fact that she was sleeping in the room next to him.

 

He turned his back to the door.

 

“Uh, Cole?” he called out tentatively. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. And don’t worry! I didn’t see anything!”

 

“Can you...walk away first?” he heard her reply. “Close your eyes and count to ten.”

 

“Yeah,” he said, already starting to walk away. “Sure, sure. You can come out now. I’m not looking.”

 

He shut his eyes close, just like how he was instructed. Few seconds later, he heard the door creaking open and Nicole’s light footsteps dashing past him from behind. He counted to twenty, just in case, before finally opening his eyes again.

 

The door to her room was already closed, no doubt – locked.

 

Doo Joon scratched the back of his head sheepishly as he made his way towards the bathroom.

 

Well, he thought to himself. This is awkward.

 

~

 

He came out of the bathroom about 20 minutes later, already washed and all freshen up. He had remembered to put on a shirt and Bermudas, instead of his usual way of coming out of the toilet half- with only a towel wrapped around his body.

 

He saw Nicole busying herself in the kitchen, spreading butter and jam on the slices of bread, while waiting for the eggs to be cooked in the pan.

 

His stomach made a low growling noise as he inhaled the delicious aroma of the food. He did feel hungry and it wasn’t always that he had breakfast before he left the house.

 

No, when exactly was the last time he had used the kitchen?

 

“Uh, you shouldn’t have troubled yourself,” he told her, even though he was secretly pleased to eat the food prepared by her. “We could’ve gone out to eat or something.”

 

She half-turned to look at him and gave him a small smile.

 

“I hope you don’t mind I went through your things.”

 

“No, not at all,” he said as he trudged over towards where she was standing. “Make yourself at home. Um, do you need help with anything?”

 

She grinned. “Can I trust you with the eggs?”

 

“Of course!” he said confidently. “I’m not going to burn them.”

 

~

 

Doo Joon looked down at their plates guiltily.

 

“Well, I guess they are kind of brown.”

 

Nicole giggled softly. “You’re hopeless when it comes to cooking, Yoon Doo Joon.”

 

“Yeah,” he pouted. “Unlike Junsu, huh? He’s such a great cook. Once, he let me taste a dish – “

 

But he stopped himself when he saw the sudden change in her expression. Realising the words that he had let slipped unintentionally, he winced silently inside.

 

“I’m sorry, Cole. I shouldn’t have – “

 

“It’s fine,” she dismissed the matter away with her hand. “Come on, dig in. Your stomach has been growling so much since just now.”

 

Doo Joon knows it’s far from fine, judging from the smile she was forcing out, but he decided not to push it further. And besides, she had already started stuffing the food inside – indicating that she didn’t want to talk about it.

 

Doo Joon was just about to take a bite of his own food, when he heard his ringtone blaring out from the coffee table.

 

“I’ll be right back.” He excused himself and hurried over to take the call.

 

But when he saw Junsu’s name flashing on the screen, Doo Joon gulped hard as he darted a glance back to where Nicole was sitting, oblivious to what was happening.

 

He didn’t press the answer button, until he was safely hidden in his room.

 

“Hello?” he whispered into the phone as he closed the door behind him.

 

I’ve heard about what happened,” Junsu’s grim voice greeted him from the other end. “Where is she? Is she alright?”

 

“She’s...fine. She’s alright, Junsu. I took her home with me,” he added in, after much deliberation.

 

There was a moment of silence, and only Junsu’s low breathing could be heard. Doo Joon held his own.

 

“You...what?”

 

“She’s not safe alone,” Doo Joon tried to make his stand. “I had to take her with me.”

 

“She’s at your place now?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Nicole’s there now? Right now?”

 

“Yes,” Doo Joon replied quietly. He knew what his friend was thinking. He knew what Junsu wanted. But it was not possible, and Junsu knows it too.

 

“Well...I’m glad she’s alright,” was all he said, before he ended the call abruptly.

 

Doo Joon let out a sigh as he threw the phone onto his bed. He wasn’t sure what he was feeling guilty for. Maybe he did, but he just didn’t want to admit it.

 

This is not good.