Broken Promise [Part o8]

I'm Your Man

 

Junho walked along the beach coast by himself, holding a branch stick he had picked up along the way in his right hand. His gaze was thrown across the blue sea, yet his thoughts were far away from beautiful sceneries.

Here, at this beach, at the exact spot that he was standing on – was the first time he had met Sooyoung.

 

The girl sat by herself, her shoulder-length wavy hair blowing around her face as she bent down her head and concentrated on the white pad on her lap. As he got closer to her, he realised that she was actually focused on a piece of drawing. She glanced up once again before quickly continuing her work.

She didn’t even see Junho approaching.

He casually plopped himself down on the sandy space beside her and drew his two knees in.

She appeared startled by this and looked up at him in surprise.

“Don’t mind me,” he had said, a playful smile tugging at the corner of his lips. “Though, I was wondering how much I would’ve to pay to have you draw a portrait of me.”

She smiled, slowly at first, before breaking out into a loud laugh.

She didn’t stop laughing for a whole of five minutes.

 

He had laughed along with her.

Junho smiled bitterly at the memory.

He had been so immersed by her, by her pure beauty and sincere heart. Her carefree way whenever she talks about her dreams, how her eyes shines brightly when she tells him that she wants to start an art showcase on her own someday.

Her passion, her determination, her honesty – every single thing about her had drawn him in.

So deep that he isn’t able to climb out any longer.

Junho clenched his jaw and fists tightly to stop himself from crying out loud. He had loved her so earnestly, and he probably still does even though he wanted to deny it so bad.

He can never quit her.

 

Sooyoung was just about to leave the house, the car keys in her hand, determined to find Junho and make him listen to her. He has to at least let her explain, even though she wasn’t sure if anything could be changed.

The damage has been done.

But the second she threw open the front door; she jumped back startled at the sight of Junho’s worn-out face greeting her. His black blouse was crinkled and his hair was sticking out of places. He looked like he hasn’t slept for days, the dark circles underneath his eyes slightly visible. They were kind of puffy too, like he has been crying his eyes out.

In short – he was a mess.

Sooyoung yearned to touch him. Her heart ached to just reach out her hands and caress his face tenderly. She wanted to feel him again; she didn’t want him to ever leave her.

“Junho...” she said softly, unsure if she should smile or cry now that he’s already in front of her. “I-i was just about to go and look for you. You haven’t been returning any of my calls.”

He lifted his eyes to meet her gaze. His stare was hazy, drunk, lost even.

She couldn’t hold it back any longer and held out her arms to pull him in for a hug. To her surprise, he immediately fall into her embrace, crashing his weight onto her petite self completely.

With one hand, Sooyoung grabbed onto the door frame and supported his body with her other free arm.

“Junho-ah,” she breathed, staggering back a few steps. “Are you okay?”

She didn’t expect him to reply, but he did.

“I’m tired...” he muttered quietly. She could feel his hands reaching up her back, hugging her back tightly. “I’m tired of running away from you but I can’t stay away any longer.”

“Then...don’t,” she replied hoarsely, her voice already cracking. “Don’t go Junho, please. We can get through this, we’ll make it work again.”

“I left you for awhile...just awhile. And I returned to find out that I have already lost your love...I hate you so much.”

“I’m sorry Junho, I really am. Just...tell me whatever you want me to do. Anything, I’ll do anything. I love you, I still love you Junho. You haven’t lost me.”

“I’m leaving.”

What?

“I’m leaving,” he spoke up in a clearer voice. “I came to say goodbye.”

“No...Junho no...”

“I just wanted to feel being in your arms for the last time,” he said with a smile. A sad, heartbroken smile.

He finally pulled away from her. Their eyes locked. Sooyoung felt as if time had stopped, the world spinning around them momentarily. She tried to plead, begging for him to stay yet his eyes told her that he meant it.

He’s really leaving.

He leaned in close and pressed his lips softly against her forehead. At that very moment, her tears flow over incessantly – knowing for the fact that she had lost him forever.