VIRUS [Part o6]

I'm Your Man

 

She walked down the stairs that night, hoping to see him already home and she got her wish when she saw him sitting on the sofa, in front of the television. With his eyes fixed on the screen, he didn’t notice her entering the room until she carefully placed herself beside him.

“How was classes?” he asked her casually, glancing up briefly at her for awhile before dropping his eyes back on the show.

“Good,” she replied simply. “H-how was work for you?”

She stammered, because she wasn’t used to asking him these little questions about his well-being. But that night, she suddenly felt like she wanted to get closer to him, she wanted to get to know her husband slowly.

Nichkhun appeared surprised by her sudden question as well. But a smile started to spread across his face slowly as he nodded his head.

“Work was fine. Few hard-to-please clients, but the rest were fine. Hmm, what time do you finish tomorrow?”

While he asked her that, Jiyoung noticed how closer he had scooted to her and his right arm was now sprawled across on the head-rest behind her.

“3pm...if I remember correctly. Why?”

He casually dropped his arm around her shoulders.

Jiyoung had no intention of moving away though.

“Well, I was thinking of taking you out for dinner tomorrow night. It’s our third month anniversary, remember?”

Jiyoung gave herself a mental smack on the head. How could she have forgotten about it?

“Yeah, sure. I don’t have any other plans anyway,” she managed a small smile at him.

Without thinking further, her hand travelled up his thigh slowly and she rested it there for a moment. Before she had the chance to change her mind, Nichkhun covered her hand with his and intertwined their fingers together.

He turned to look at her, with a surprise yet pleasing smile on his face. Jiyoung was aware of the sudden tension in the air around them, it was suddenly hotter and her heart was racing crazily.

“Jiyoung-ah...” he leaned in closer to her, his voice above a whisper.

She could feel her face reddening as she tried to avert her eyes away from his gaze; but Nichkhun lifted up her chin gently until she was looking right into his eyes once again.

Not another word needed to be said.

They both know what they wanted.

 

The next morning, she was awakened by her loud electronic-pop ringtone. Her eyes fluttered open lazily as she reached out for her phone on the dressing table next to her.

Her heart sank when she saw Gi Kwang’s name flashing on the screen. After the argument they had two weeks ago, Jiyoung hadn’t call him back and he hadn’t tried to contact her too.

Surprisingly, she was fine without his presence.

She had somehow gotten used to it.

While she let the call left unanswered, she flipped to her left side and only then did she realised the space beside her was already empty. Her hand caressed the soft fabric lightly and she could almost still feel the warmth left behind by the person who had slept on it the night before; who had slept in the same bed as her for the first time.

She picked up the white pillow and pressed it close to her nose, inhaling his sweet cologne with much pleasure. It smelt like heaven.

Just then, she heard the bathroom door creaking open slowly; causing her to turn back around in surprise.

Nichkhun emerged out, in his usual work-clothes; a black tailored pants and a long-sleeved navy dress-shirt.

“Oh, good morning!” he greeted her with a bright smile, completely oblivious to her embarrassment. “I didn’t mean to wake you up just yet.”

After last night, she suddenly felt self-conscious around him, completely shy even though there was absolutely nothing wrong about it. He was her husband; it was a basic marriage customary.

He stepped in front of the long mirror to finish buttoning up his shirt.

“I’m taking a half-day leave today,” he told her without being asked. “So I’ll pick you up after your classes, okay?”

Jiyoung reached for her sleeping robe wrapped it around her figure hastily before sliding off the bed gingerly.

“Sure. Just give me a call when you’ve reached so that I’ll know.”

She took small, cautious steps towards him, until she was standing right in front of him.

He was about to ask her what she was doing but she silenced him off by placing both of her hands on his necktie and tightening it up for him.

She had never done it for him before. Never.

“Drive carefully okay?” she said while she straightened down his shirt. Her hand paused on his chest for a moment, as though relieving the previous night memories but almost immediately, she dropped her hands back to her sides.

Nichkhun couldn’t help but to smile at her attentiveness and concern. He had always been hoping for this day to come and now that it has...

There’s probably still hope for them after all.

He bent down his head slightly and placed a soft kiss on top of her head.

“I love you.”