Broken Promise [Part o7]

I'm Your Man

 

Two of them sat opposite of each other; the girl with her arms crossed in front of her chest and the guy had his hands wrapped around his cup of hot chocolate. She was staring out of the cafe window, clearly fuming while he was gazing at her with undeniable love in his eyes.

Any passing strangers would get the impression they were just another couple in the midst of an argument.

But Soo Young was far from being in love with Dong Woon. In fact, she’s overwhelmed with fear and rage that she couldn’t bring herself to face him even though they’ve been sitting in the cafe for the past half hour.

She was angry with Dong Woon for having met up with Jun Ho without her knowledge and she fears the things he had said might cost her, her relationship just yet.

“Are you going to talk to me at all Soo Young?” Dong Woon was the first one to break the ice, unable to bear the awkward silence between them any longer. He rather have her scream and yell at him, instead of just ignoring his presence altogether.

“Soo Young...?” he tried again when there was still no response from her.

“Why did you do that?”

Dong Woon blinked his eyes a couple of times. It surprised him a little that she had finally decided to speak up.

“Do what Soo Young?”

She whipped her head back to face him and he could see her two eyes flashing angrily at him as she fought to keep her voice down and calm.

“Why...did you meet up with Jun Ho? What was your intention?”

“Did Jun Ho tell you about it?” he asked her back slowly.

“No, I figured it out myself when he asked to meet me in the park after three weeks of absolutely no contact. Not even a single bloody phone call,” she replied through gritted teeth. “He was practically begging me not to lie to him; he was crying Dong Woon. What did you do? What did you say?”

“Don’t you think it’s better for you to ask him yourself?”

Soo Young leaned forward in her seat and challenged him with an even stare.

“No, I think it’s better to hear it from your own mouth. I want to know exactly what did you tell him?”

Dong Woon let out a small sigh as he tried to find the right words to say.

“I’m sure you know that he’s already aware of what’s going on between us –“

“There’s no us in this story Dong Woon,” Soo Young cut him off sharply, shooting him with a death glare.

“You can’t deny what already happened!”

“What happened? What actually happened Dong Woon?”

“Don’t tell me that kiss was a mistake!”

Soo Young, who was about to retort back, immediately clamped shut when he brought up about the ‘kiss.’

Of course. Why would he forget that?

Her thoughts went back to that day; when she had missed Jun Ho so much and she was feeling so down and confused about everything around her. She remembered crying and that Dong Woon was there to comfort her.

And whatever happened next, it was all blurry to her now. She didn’t realise what she was doing exactly right at that moment. Perhaps she just wanted to push all her sadness way, perhaps she just wanted to find warmth and assurance in another person – but still that wasn’t an excuse to cheat on Jun Ho.

Had she really cheated on him?

“That...was a mistake,” she finally said in a steady voice that was about to crack. “That definitely wasn’t supposed to happen and you know it too.”

“You told me you had feelings for me too Soo Young,” he argued back, reminding her about the awful words she had uttered in the heat of the moment. “Was that a mistake too then?”

“Yes! Yes it was. Everything was a mistake, a lie. I was so confused about my feelings that time, so messed up. I wasn’t doing too well with the distance apart and I just needed someone to rely on.”

Dong Woon stared at her in disbelief. How could she...after all those things she had said to him?

“I’m sorry Dong Woon,” she continued when he didn’t say anything. “Maybe at one point of time, I did learn to grow some feelings for you. Maybe then, I was torn for a moment. But now...now I’m pretty sure of what I want; of whom I want to be with.”

Soo Young was about to continue further when something caught her attention from the corner of her eye. She glanced up for a second and immediately wished she hadn’t.

Her stomach churned at the sight of Jun Ho’s pale-stricken face; gaping at her with an unbelievable look on his face.

What was he doing here?

He must’ve heard everything.

She pushed back her chair abruptly and stood up quickly.

The loud screeching sound seemed to snap him out of his trance as Jun Ho regained back his composure and gave her one last forlorn look. He his heel and walked out of the cafe before she could defend herself.

Soo Young didn’t waste anymore time.

She grabbed her bag from the chair next to her and nearly knocking over her half-filled latte in the process. Dong Woon was temporarily invisible from her sight and mind as she hurried after her distraught boyfriend.

She pushed open the door and bumped hard into the on-coming customers. Soo Young muttered a quick ‘sorry’ before breaking into a sprint to catch up with Jun Ho who was already walking away faster that his usual pace.

“Jun Ho!” she shouted out his name, not caring about the attention she was attracting. “Jun Ho! Wait!”

He carried on walking like he hadn’t heard her.

“Jun Ho!” she gasped and reached out to grab his hand. “Please, listen to me first.”

To her relief, he stopped in his tracks and turned around to face her slowly. She could feel her heart sinking guiltily at his betrayed and broken expression. No words needed to be said to know how hurt and deceived he was feeling right at that moment.

“Jun Ho, please. You have to believe me. There is nothing going on between me and Dong Woon...”

“Did you kiss him?” he asked her outright with a blank expression, his voice completely toneless.

“Jun Ho –“

“Did you?”

“It was a mistake! It was a mistake Jun Ho and I’m sorry. I really am. Please, you have to...”

He yank his hand out of her grasp and turned back around to walk away again.

“Please Jun Ho,” Soo Young begged, close to tears now. Her lips quivered and her whole body trembled at thought of losing the one person whom she loved dearly. They’ve been through so much and it was such a waste to just throw away everything like that. Every single memory made was precious and she truly cherished every moment spent with him.

“You betrayed my trust Soo Young.”

No, I’m sorry...

“You broke your promise.”