VIRUS [Part o5]

I'm Your Man

 

Ji Young bit her bottom lip guiltily as she checked her watch for the umpteenth time that evening. It was already thirty minutes past six and she had been out since morning.

No, she had been out with Gi Kwang since morning.

“Come on, we should go on that ride again!” His eyes shone excitedly as he waved her over towards the twisted roller coaster. When she didn’t make a move to walk away from her spot, Gi Kwang grabbed her hand and pulled her along towards amusement ride which he had been on for three times already.

“Kwang-ah...” she tried to stop him but failed to get his attention. He continued gawking at the roller coaster in admiration with his hand still firmly tightened on hers.

“I want to go home,” she tried again, this time in a slightly louder voice. The little girl beside her cast a sideway glance at her but immediately look away when Ji Young shot her with a ‘mind-your-own-business look.’

“But Ji Youngie, it’s not even night yet,” Gi Kwang pouted in response and slip an arm around her waist, pulling her closer to his body. “Don’t tell me you’re tired already.”

Ji Young could feel as though her wedding ring was burning a hole through her finger. She squirmed uncomfortably in his embrace and freed herself away awkwardly.

“What’s wrong with you?” he asked her, sounding slightly crossed now. “You were fine this morning when I came to pick you up. But it seemed like your excitement didn’t last quite long.”

Ji Young crossed her arms in front of her chest and rubbed herself instinctively.

“I just feel tired okay? And besides, I start school tomorrow. I need my rest.”

A scoff could be heard coming from her lover.

“I thought your dearest husband was giving you more time to rest at home? Is he being a little pushy now?”

“It was my decision okay?” Ji Young retorted back, a little too harshly. “Nichkhun offered to extend my vacation days, but I refused.”

“Oh, so it’s only Nichkhun now?” Gi Kwang said snidely. “What happened to Nichkhun-ssi? Seems like you guys have gotten closer and more comfortable with each other.”

“What do you expect when you live with the person for 24/7?” Ji Young muttered under her breath as she turned away from Gi Kwang to take out her phone. “It’s fine if you’re not going to send me home. I’ll just call him to...”

“Who said you can go home?” he challenged her and plucks the phone out of her hand. Shoving it into his pocket, he grabbed hold of her hand and pulled her back close to him. “This date does not end until I say so.”

“What is wrong with you?” Ji Young cried out in frustration and wriggled herself free from his grasp. “Since when have you become this possessive clingy type that gets angry all the time?”

“I wasn’t the one who got married to another woman while still insisting on being with my girlfriend!” he shot back just as fiercely, his two eyes defying her to say another word.

Ji Young was aware of the sudden tension which hung in the air between them. She glanced around their surrounding and realised that people were pretending not to be eavesdropping but it was clear from their expressions that they were talking about them.

“I’m not going to do this here Gi Kwang,” she said finally. “And I’m not going to wait for you.”

Before he could say anything else, she turned around on her heels and stormed away from the humiliating scene. She wiped away her tears with the back of her hand fiercely. Why did she think it was such a good idea to agree to this date? Why didn’t she just stay at home and watch TV or just read books all day long?

Or perhaps just learn to be a better wife, a voice whispered in her head.

“Ji Young! Wait! I’m sorry,” she heard Gi Kwang hurrying after her from behind. “Please. Hear me out first!”

She quickens her steps wanting to get away from him. She couldn’t deal with him just then, she needed to clear her mind first.

Just then, a familiar white Toyota sports car pulled up around the curb, and stopped just right in front of her. The driver got out of the car and Ji Young has never felt so relieved before to see Nichkhun’s gentle face greeting her with a knowing smile.

“You told me you’d be home by 5. So when you didn’t, I got worried.”

She didn’t know what she was supposed to say.

Sorry I was late because I was having fun with my boyfriend? Or sorry I got too caught up with Gi Kwang that I totally forgot about you?

“I’m sorry. I guess...I lost track of time,” she replied meekly and gave him a half-hearted smile.

“It’s okay. Get in the car, we’ll go home now.”

Ji Young just nodded her head and slipped inside the passenger’s seat quietly. As she was about to close the door, she saw Gi Kwang emerging into her view, the disappointment look on his face was too evident to ignore.

She forced herself to turn away and look straight up ahead.

Nichkhun saw him too. But seeing that Ji Young had nothing to offer, he just fastened his seat belt and also hers, which apparently she had forgotten to do so. She looked up at him in confusion and when realisation hit her, she gave him an apologetic look.

He just smiled back at her, not wanting to burden her thoughts with anymore questions.

A few seconds later, the white car sped away, leaving Gi Kwang behind, alone and speechless.

 

“Where are we?”

Nichkhun couldn’t help but to chuckle softly.

“We’ve been here for about 15 minutes and you’ve only realised it now?”

Ji Young’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment as she looked down at her two hands guiltily.

“Sorry, guess I just have too many things on my mind.”

Nichkhun pondered over it for a moment.

“Did something happen between the two of you?”

Her head jerked back slightly as she tried to keep her expression neutral.

“...no, nothing like that.”

“Ji Young-ah, you’re worrying me. And I’m not going to get any sleep tonight if you don’t tell me what’s bothering you now.”

“I...” she opened to say something but shut it close almost immediately.

“It’s okay,” he encouraged her with a warm smile. “You can tell me anything. I’m not going to get mad.”

“Why didn’t you stop me this morning?” she blurted out. “You knew I was going out with him. Yet you did nothing to stop me. You weren’t even mad. Why?”

Nichkhun leaned back against his seat and started to answer her question.

“I’m not mad Ji Young...”

“Why? Does that mean you don’t care at all if I have fun with another guy? If I spend more time with another person than I do with you? If I give all my attention to him and not to you?”

“But I’m not going to lie and say that I’m not jealous,” he cut in before she had the chance to carry on. “Because I am.”

“...what?”

He took in a deep breath before saying his next few words carefully.

“I’m jealous of the way you smile whenever it comes to him. You’ve never smiled for me the way you smile for him. But I’m contented; as long as you smile, as long as you’re happy, then I am too.”

“Nichkhun...”

“Wait, I’m not done yet. I’m jealous of the warmth and care he has gotten from you. If only you would ask me how I’m doing once in awhile, I’m perfectly fine with that.”

“And of course...I’m jealous of his place in your heart. Because in ink and paper, I’m your husband but in your heart, he’s the one who has won you over. If only you had met me earlier, perhaps I would’ve been given the chance.”

Ji Young was too stunned, too dumbfounded to even move a muscle. If she started to speak, perhaps only tears would fall over. She was torn, suffocating between two different man who genuinely loves her.

“Nichkhun...I’m sorry...”

He managed a small smile for her and shook his head in dismissal.

“Don’t be. I just want you to be happy okay? I know this marriage is hard for you but...just hang in there for awhile more. It’ll all be better soon.”

Ji Young frowned slightly at his last sentence.

“What do you mean?”

He smiled sadly at her, his eyes shining unmistakably, most probably from tears he’s trying so hard to hide.

“You’ll know soon enough.”