Like A Fiction Movie [Part o4]

I'm Your Man

 

She tossed and turned in her bed trying to put her tired self to sleep. But her brain simply refuses to shut down and let her mind rest.

Nicole grunted unhappily as she rolled over to her left side and her gaze fell upon the photo placed on the bedside table next to her. A slow smile started to spread across her face slowly as she reached over for the photo frame.

As her finger traced over the photo delicately, her thoughts wandered back towards that day; where they had just sat on the rocks by the seaside, watching the beautiful sunset.

 

Nicole rested her head against his shoulder and let out a small sigh.

“What’s wrong?” he asked her out of concern.

“Nothing,” she told him and slipped her arm into his. “I just want to sit here and watch the sunset like this, everyday with you.”

A low rumble could be felt when Junsu chuckled softly.

“I’d love that too. And I think I know how I can make that possible.”

She looked up at him expectantly.

“Really? Tell me!”

Junsu touched the tip of her nose with his index finger lightly and gave her a warm smile.

“Simple. Just stay by my side forever.”

Nicole rolled her eyes. “Way to ruin the mood with your cheesy line.” But she couldn’t help grinning in pleasure.

“But you still love it.”

“You can’t tie me down forever.”

Junsu paused for awhile as he held her gaze steadily. He leaned in closer to her, until his forehead was pressed against hers. His hot breath tickled her nose, making her feel nervous yet excited at the same time.

“I can...with a wedding ring.”

 

Doo Joon walked towards her apartment leisurely. He checked the time on his wrist watch and realised that it was already past 10pm. He wasn’t sure if she is already in bed but he just had to see her.

One, he wanted to make sure she was breathing and alive.

And second, it was probably because he missed her.

Probably.

When he was about a few feet away from her doorstep, he saw a black shadow emerging from the darkness. Doo Joon quickly hid behind one of the walls and reached into his back pocket for his handgun.

He took another peek and noticed that the figure was coming out of Nicole’s apartment.

“Hey! Stop what you’re doing!”

His loud voice must’ve startled the intruder because the latter immediately broke into a sprint towards the other stairwell. Doo Joon started to run after him but he paused in front of Nicole’s door, knowing her safety was much more important.

He tried to pry open the door, but of course it was locked. Taking a paper clip which he carried around for emergencies like this, he jiggled it into the doorknob and in matter of seconds, the door was opened.

Almost at once, he was overwhelmed by the humid gas smell; causing him to start coughing unavoidably.

“Nicole!” he called out for her but was only greeted by eerie silence. He made his way towards her bedroom, getting more anxious by the second.

He flung open the door and found her to be curling up on her bed, sound asleep with something clutched close to her body. He hurried towards her and tried to wake her up but to no avail.

Left with no choice, he carried her up in bridal style, with the object still tightly grasped in her hands. Without wasting a second more, Doo Joon tore away from the scene hastily, with Nicole safely in his arms.

He kept on running until they were a few good distance away from her infected apartment. Worried about her condition, he placed her down on the ground and shook her body, trying to wake her up.

“Nicole, wake up please. Come on, don’t do this to me.”

He took out his cell phone and started to punch in a few numbers.

“They tried to kill her with poisonous gas in her house. Yeah, but I didn’t get a close look on the guy. I need you to send some men over to check things over.”

He touched her face and caressed her cheek gently. There was still no reaction from her.

Just then, he remembered the object that she was holding onto. Doo Joon pulled it away from her carefully and turned the wooden photo frame over.

When he saw his friend’s smiling face, with his arm wrapped around Nicole’s shoulder looking blissfully in love, he inhaled sharply as though his breath had gotten stuck in his throat.

Not that he was actually dead, but she couldn’t possibly be thinking about joining him there, wherever he is?

“Nicole!” Doo Joon raised his voice slightly now, putting all force into it. She couldn’t die on him, he wouldn’t let her.

A soft cough escaped her lips just then, followed by a slightly louder second one. Doo Joon sighed in relief as he helped her up into a sitting position.

“W-what are you doing here?” She took a look around and her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “Where am I?”

“Had a nice dream?” he asked her sarcastically as he wiped away the beads of perspiration on his forehead. “Took you long enough to come around.”

She managed to smack his arm weakly with a bewildered expression still on her face.

“What happened Doo Joon?” Her voice sounded more worried than curious now. “Why am I out here and not in my bed?”

Doo Joon studied her face carefully.

“What?”

“They tried to kill you in your sleep,” he said finally.

Nicole blinked her eyes a few times.

“...no...”

“Yes,” he replied firmly and a second later, sighed tiredly. “You’re not safe anywhere alone.”

“What am I supposed to do then?” she asked him in a hoarse whisper, her lips already started quivering while she tried to fight back the tears. “Why are they doing this to me? They took him away from me. Isn’t that enough?”

“Shh.” Doo Joon pulled her in for a warm, comforting hug and her back delicately. “I’m not going to let them get to you so easily after this. You’re coming with me. Stay with me for the time being.”

“I’ll keep you safe.”