Dead Stars

The Commander and The Ace ¦ One Shot Collection [ Hiatus; Taking Requests ]

I was crying one night, the darkness enveloping me in my misery. Standing by the window of my bedroom while holding the very first picture Eunhye and I took when we got together. The memories come back like a meteor, disrupting my thoughts, my feelings that were supposed to be for Jihyo now. But the urge deep in my heart says I should clear something up, but what? I rub my temple as the familiar headache started resonating one more. Pain killers don't help anymore so I haven't really come up with the best solution to cure this blasted migraine.

I stroll to the kitchen of my apartment, smiling as I saw pictures of me and Jihyo hanging proudly on my living room wall. This is where I want to be. Home with Jihyo. I think she's still out working so I don't phone her to assure of my feelings, instead I send her a text message. A simple 'I miss you' and an 'I love you' sms wouldn't hurt. Tucking my phone away, I decided on playing some video games on the game console Jihyo got me for my birthday. While scanning on the game disks, I notice a familiar box tucked behind the game console. Taking it out from the dark, my heart stopped to see what it was. 

It was the box Eunhye gave me on our 1st Anniversary. The wrapping was still in tact but the writing was already blurred. Taking the box in my arms, I made my way to the couch to do the thing I should have never done. I opened the box and to my surprise, a picture of Eunhye and me popped out. It was our favorite picture together. Us goofing off in one of the off cam moments during X-Man. Her smile was very beautiful, the very reason to why I first fell in love with her. I caressed the photo, my finger tracing her face when suddenly a drop of water slide down on the photo. I held my face and in astonishment, I was crying once more. 

"I miss her."

My voice was soft that only ants can hear my sentiments. I couldn't understand what I was feeling. Do I still love Eunhye? I shook my head and placed my head over them, acting as if I was to pull my hair. I'm going crazy. I threw the box at the farthest corner of the room and finally gave in to my thoughts. Eunhye was still there, it wasn't big but she was still visible in my heart. I had to admit that the time Jihyo and I came to be, I wasn't fully recovered from the sudden break up Eunhye and I had. Everything came so fast. I wasn't prepared to let her go.

I paced my apartment once again, walking over to the box that was now a mess on the ground. I shinning thing then get my attention, making me walk towards it. I frowned as I held the ornament up, my heart constricting as memories started to flood my mind. The ring I gave before I went to the Army. She gave it back when she said she had enough of seeing me. My tears cascaded once again down my cheeks, pain and sorrow filling my systems. I didn't know what was happening to me, what feeling I was feeling. 

"I shouldn't be feeling like this!" I yelled and threw the silver band across the kitchen floor.

Why are these memories coming back? Why were these thoughts of Eunhye filling my mind? I never knew the answer but something ticked inside me saying that maybe I wanted closure. Closure from what? I was already on the nerves of my conscience but I best to ignore him and his nagging stare at me. I sighed upon looking at the mess I made. Crouching down, I grabbed the box and placed back the things that were originally in the comforts of this four walled space. I tried to hold back my feelings when the rest of the contents came to view.

The movie tickets we got, my album of Turbo that she loved so much, chocolate wrappings, her favorite hair clip, things that meant so much to me and her in the duration of our relationship. But I have to accept the reality that it's all gone. Everything.

 

 

 

 

They're just dead stars, Oppa.

 

 

 

 

Hyori's words come to my thoughts when we last spoke about this same dilemma of mine. Dead stars were what she calls memories of past love. It's not the person I miss but the memories I shared with them. Maybe she was right. Eunhye was a long and beautiful love that the sudden break up was traumatizing for me. It took three years for me to confess I had feelings for Jihyo and until now I'm uncertain to what I truly feel.

Taking the box in hand and closing it's lid, I searched for a lighter at the cupboards of the kitchen. Having success in producing one, I got my house keys and left my apartment, heading straight to the roof top of my building. The wind was cold but that didn't affect the heat of my body and the mixed emotions that were now resonating my systems.

"It's Jihyo now, Jongkook." I told myself. "Eunhye is long gone. Dead Stars."

 

 

Taking my phone from my pocket, I scrolled my contacts and stopped at Eunhye's name. I was battling with myself to whether I should phone her or not but I opted to go with the latter. The phone started ringing and started feeling nervous. Why was I calling? What should I say? I'm being a fool. When I decided to back down on this deed, she answered the phone.

 

"Yoboseyo?"

"Uhh.. Eunhye?"

"Ne? Who's calling?"

"I-It's Jongkook." 

"Ohh.. what is it Oppa?"

"I wanted to ask you something."

"Uhmm sure. Go ahead."

"Why did you break up with me?"

 

I wasn't sure if this is what I really wanted to ask but I felt a hint of relief once the question was out. There was long pause after my question. I think she's thinking. I took the lighter from my pocket and started playing with it. On and off the fire went under my control. I wish feelings were like that, on and off under your command. When I sensed the silence going no where, I decided to break the ice.

 

"I was just curious. Please don't take it the wrong way."

"I just felt we were going no where, Oppa."

 

Ouch. I should have never asked.

 

"Going no where? What do you mean?"

"Our paths were so different that being in a relationship with you wasn't healthy anymore. For both of us."

"Ne.."

 

It was all I could say. I didn't know what else I could blab or talk about in this awkward situation. Breathing against the receiver, I smiled once a thought suddenly wrapped my mind. If it weren't for Eunhye, I wouldn't have this wonderful woman and wonderful life. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have known how awesome and perfect Jihyo was and if it weren't for her, I wouldn't be an engaged man at the moment. Focusing back on the call, my smile broadened as thoughts of Jihyo now enveloped my head.

 

"Thank you, Eunhye. That's all I needed."

 

Turning off the phone, I took the photo that I held in my room and set it a blaze with the lighter in my hand. I let the fire dance a little longer on the photograph before tossing it on the box, burning the contents of my past. 

 

"Goodbye, Eunhye." 

 

It was a whisper to the heavens. A whisper of me letting go of the dead stars that had encased me for years. That's just that. Dead stars. Memories of past love. Jihyo is my future now. My life. Nothing more I could ask for.

I watch the fire engulf my memories, ashes flying unto the air and throwing them into the sky. But the ring. The ring I gave to Eunhye was still shinning in my palm. Walking towards the edge of the roof top, I threw the silver band into the open, not caring where it would land to whom it may end up with.

 

da almyeonseo (da almyeonseo) jal almyeonseo (jal almyeonseo)
eokjiuseum jitneun nareul da almyeon-

 

"Yoboseyo?"

"Oppa! Eodiseo?"

"I'm here on the roof top."

"Arasseo. I'll be right up."

 

This is what I just need. A dose of my Jihyo energy. Waiting for my fiancee to arrive, I kept my vision at the burning box, the contents almost unrecognizable. Just then, a pair of small arms were suddenly wrapped around my waist, making smile the widest I've smiled in the day. Turning around, I see Jihyo. Her face slightly exhausted from her filming but never the less still beautiful. Wrapping my arms around her, I hugged her tight and pressed my lips against her, savoring her as mush as I can. This is where I want to be. With Jihyo, I am home.

"Omo! What's with the sudden affection, Oppa?" Jihyo giggled.

"It's nothing. I just missed my wife to be." I smiled and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"You're burning something?" Jihyo asked as she spotted the burning box behind me.

"Ah ne. I saw a rat in the kitchen a while ago so I killed it."

Laughing at my excuse, my fiancee wrapped her arms around my neck and looked closely into my eyes. Jihyo was always comforting especially when her eyes meet mine. She makes me feel at ease. With her, I am the real Jongkook and with her I am the happiest. Pecking her lips once more, I kissed her forehead and whispered the words my heart has been dying to tell her the whole day.

 

 

 

 

"I love you, Seongim. I love you so much."

 



A/N: This was a sudden chapter because this is what I am currently feeling. I dunno. I guess I just had to let it out. Sorry if it's sloppy but thank you for still reading it <3

 

P.S. Thank you, Twinnie for teaching me what dead stars is <3 You're Hyori here