Are You Sure?

It's Only One Night

 

It’s Only One Night

You looked across the room to your best friend. You hadn’t told her that she looked better than ever. She had that glow. She rubbed her massive stomach and winced. Still she kept smiling.

“Joonie, our little boy is kicking again.” Her husband reached over and gingerly placed his hand under hers.

“He’s going to make a great soccer player.”

“Yah don’t you want him to be a dancer like you?” You smiled at Joon.

“He can be whatever he wants to be Mireu. Maybe he’ll be a volleyball player. But whatever he is, I’ll love him all the same.” She blushed and winced again. “Joon, I think it’s happening.”

“What do you mean babe?”

“Mireu I need you to get my overnight bag.” You stood up immediately and ran to the nursery. When you walked back in, Joon was pacing back and forth.

“Are you sure it’s happening right now?” He started hyperventilating.

“Joonie, remember the breathing exercises.” She stood up and pointed out what looked like a spill mark. “I’m going to take a shower. You’re going to wash the cushion and calm down. Okay, babe?”

“Shouldn’t we be rushing?”

“Mireu trust me on this. I haven’t even gone into labor yet.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You looked across the room at your best friend. She still looked good despite the hospital gown and the slight swelling of her feet. Joon placed his hand gently on her massive stomach. She looked at you and smiled.

“Mireu we have a very important question to ask you.”

“What is it?” She looked lovingly at her husband and sat up in bed.

“We wanted you to be the godfather of our son.”

“Rielle… Joon… I…”

“It would mean a lot to us, Mireu.” Joon walked over and patted you on the back. “You’re family to us.”

“I was trying to say,” You smiled at your friends. “It would be an honor.” Rielle smiled brightly and clapped her hands excitedly. Her excitement then turned to a look of immense pain.

“Joon get the doctor.”

“Has it been five minutes already?”

“JUST GET THE DOCTOR!” She screamed and he ran out into the hall. You rushed to the bedside of your friend. She gripped your hand tight and screamed.

“Rielle it’s gonna be okay! It’s going to be okay!” Joon came back inside and they were quickly rushed to the delivery room. All you could do was wait outside. And that’s what you did.

Waited.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joon burst into the waiting room. It woke you up from your nap. After all, it was around 2 in the morning.

“Mireu…”

“Yah Joon what is it?”

“I want you to see your godson. Milo.” Your eyes widened and you leapt from your seat. You nearly tripped trying to get into the delivery room. And there you saw her. Glowing. Holding onto her son.

“Mireu come here.” She cooed from her bed. You slowly walked toward her and blushed. “Milo baby say hello to Mireu.” The boy yawned and opened his eyes. He looked directly at you.

“Well hello little guy.” You held out your hand to the little boy and a tiny hand grasped onto your finger. “He’s strong just like his daddy.” Joon beamed next to you.

“Do you want to hold him Mireu?” She smiled sweetly at you and you nodded excitedly. You held the bundle of joy in your arms carefully.

“Little Milo.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You watched her run around the room frantically searching.

“Mireu where are my earrings?”

“Second drawer of the jewelry box.” She looked stunning. You picked out the dress she was wearing. The simple black dress hugged her nicely. She smoothed down the front and looked into the mirror. She turned to the side and looked at her stomach. It was shrinking down faster than you expected. She’s been working hard to make it that way.

“Mireu am I fat?”

“You’re perfect.” She blushed and smiled brightly at you from the mirror. “Wear the dangly earrings they’ll match your hair.”

“Thanks Mireu.” She slipped them through her ears and shook her head making them sway with the curls falling from her bun.

“Now hurry up and get downstairs. Joon is waiting for you.”

“Are you sure you can handle it?”

“It’s only one night.” She smiled again and rushed out the door and down the steps to her awaiting husband.

“How did I ever get such a perfect wife?”

“I don’t know but we better get to dinner before your perfect wife comes home.” She winked and ran to the car.

“See you later, Mireu! Thanks again.” You closed the door behind him and walked up to the nursery.

“Hey little guy. Mireu here. You’re stuck with me for the night.” Milo opened his eyes and blinked at you. He reached out a tiny hand and you held out a finger. Gripping tightly he cooed and smiled. “Hi Milo.” He yawned again and then giggled, kicking his legs rapidly under the blanket. Then it hit you. The smell was unbearable. “Milo, do you just wait to go so I have to change you?” The little boy giggled more and kept kicking. “You’re lucky that I love you so much.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You watched her flitting through her closet searching for the right one.

“Where’s my black slip?”

“The lace one or the silk black?”

“Lace.”

“Third on the right.” She grabbed it and smiled at you.

“You know my house better than I do.”

“What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t?” You beamed at her. She looked stunning. You waited patiently as she changed in the bathroom, then helped her zip up her dress. You picked it out for her. She smoothed down the front of her red dress and spun to see the keyhole back.

“How do I look?”

“Perfect.”

“MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY!” Milo came rushing into the room and jumped onto the bed.

“Hey little guy.” You ruffled the boy’s hair.

“Hi Mireu!” He clambered onto your back and then looked at his mother. “Mommy you look so pretty! But you have to hurry up. Daddy is pacing again.”

“Okay Milo. Promise you’ll be good for Mireu?”

“I promise mommy!” The little boy hugged you tighter and you smiled at your friend.

“Get out of here already.” You laughed.

“Bye you two! Have fun!” She rushed down the stairs to her awaiting husband and pecked him on the cheek.

You heard the door close and you stood up with Milo on your back.

“What do you want to do first kiddo?”

“Lets watch a movie!”

“A scaaaary movie?” You wiggled your fingers and used your spooky voice.

“Yeah lets be brave and watch a spooky one!”

“Okay, but you’re going to have to be brave for both of us. I’m a big baby.” You plopped down on the couch and Milo sat next to you.

“Mireu! Big people don’t get scared!”

“Big people get scared too. I get scared all the time.”

“What are big people scared of?”

“Well, I’m afraid of spiders.” You tickled the boy’s sides and his laughter filled the room. “I’m afraid of monsters too.”

“But Mireu, monsters aren’t real.” You shook your head and he looked at you confused.

“Monsters are real. But they don’t look like the ones in movies. They look like you and me.”

“How do you know they’re monsters?”

“That’s what’s scary. You never know. But there is one way to stay away from monsters.”

“How?”

“You don’t become one yourself.” He looked confused for a second and nodded.

“I promise I won’t be a monster Mireu.”

“I promise too.” You got up and put in the VHS tape of the Twilight Zone. Sitting back down Milo snuggled up next to you.

Within two hours he was fast asleep on your lap and you were dozing off. You heard the door open behind you and the hushed voices of your friends entered the house. Joon walked up behind the couch and ruffled his son’s and your hair.

“How was he?” He whispered to not wake up Milo.

“A perfect little angle as usual.” Rielle walked up to the couch and crouched down in front of her sleeping boy. She leaned forward and kissed his forehead, then kissed you on the cheek.

“Thank you so much, Mireu.” You blushed.

“It was no problem. After all, it was only one night.”