Final

Without Words

 

 


Yuri woke up with a warm body snuggled against hers while the thick, fuzzy blanket covered them for warmth and comfort. Last night, she talked and talked about the most unimportant things in the world while they were cuddled up together before falling asleep.

 
'This is how I wanted my life to be; to see your face before going to sleep... and to see your face first thing in the morning.' Yuri smiled softly, staring at the unconscious girl resting on top of her upper arm.
 
 
Running her fingers through the girl's flawless cheek, she could not help but to fall in love all over again. Call her obsessed and stupid; she would not even care for anything else in the world except for her.
 
 
"Good morning, Jessica..."
 
 
'Jessica' shifted slightly from her position, burying her face closer to Yuri's chest.
 
As usual, Yuri received no words from the latter. Instead, she earned a smile from Jessica's thin lips as if they were returning back the early greeting.
 
With her eyes still closed, Jessica's hand reached a piece of paper under her pillow. She then slowly got up from her lying position, in her bedhaired-glory, unfolding the paper before presenting it to Yuri with a toothy, child-like grin.
 
 
'Good morning, Seobang~ I love you!'
 
 
Yuri read the words in her mind as if it was the first time. She leaned closer and placed a gentle kiss on Jessica's forehead, eyes, nose and lips before hugging the slim body.
 
 
"I love you too, baby..."
 
 
***
 
 
Jessica was born with mutism; inability to speak. Though the incapability usually comes with deafness, fortunately, her ears could still hear.
 
Yuri has been the person who puts her thoughts into words. Basically, she had become the latter's voice.
 
 
 
People say that in a relationship, you need communication.
 
 
"Sica, what do you want for breakfast?" Yuri approached the older girl sitting on the kitchen stool, leveling herself down with patient look on her face.
 
Jessica put on her thinking face adorably, earning a couple of kisses from Yuri's lips, before acting surprised at the sudden intrusion.
 
"Cereal?" To answer the question, Jessica nodded her head enthusiastically.
 
Yuri ruffled the light brown hair before proceeding to prepare Jessica's cereal.
 
"Here you go, baby." She set the bowl, half-full of milk with floating, colorful rings, and spoon in front of Jessica and waited for her to eat.
 
Seeing the pout from Jessica's expression, Yuri chuckled to herself before picking up the spoon, scooping a mouthful of cereal and placing it before Jessica's mouth.
 
"Open up."
 
Jessica gladly opened and munched on the cold, sweet treat. She gave Yuri a peck on the cheek before resuming to chew her food.
 
"You're always welcome, Sica." Yuri smiled, placing another spoonful of cereal in front of Jessica's face.
 
 
Without any words said by the older girl, they conversed smoothly as if they already know what was going on inside each other's thoughts, proving that not all relationships need oral communication.
 
 
Actions speak louder than words.
 
 
**
 
 
Yuri and Jessica spent the afternoon watching a romantic movie inside the four corners of their bedroom. Both wore comfortable outfits while cuddling together on the bed, with Yuri's back resting against the headboard and Jessica's head on top of Yuri's shoulder.
 
Jessica tightened her hold around the big white teddy bear, muffling the incoming sobs due to the emotional scene playing from their television.
 
Yuri could not help but to chuckle at the innocent action before removing the stuffed toy between them and slowly wrapping Jessica's arms around her body instead.
 
 
"Shhh... It's just a movie..." Yuri whispered on her hair, soothing the trembling back.
 
 
Pushing her head further against the younger one's chest, Jessica wetted the loose white shirt with her tears, totally carried away by the gist of the movie.
 
Credits were now rolling down from the screen as Jessica was still clinging unto Yuri's waist, now deep in her slumber.
 
After wiping the dried tears from her cheeks, Yuri reluctantly moved out of the bed, stood by its edge and observed the sleeping girl's reaction.
 
As expected, Jessica squirmed uncomfortably against the sheets, feeling the space on the bed with her hands in panic before jolting up with an alarmed expression.
 
Yuri immediately placed herself beside Jessica after she saw the tears b from her glistening eyes.
 
 
"No, no... Don't cry... I won't leave you..." Yuri just had to say those words to assure the panic-stricken expression Jessica was wearing.
 
Jessica, who was sniffing like a little girl, raised her pinky finger up to Yuri's eye level.
 
Without thinking twice, Yuri hooked hers around Jessica's before welcoming her into a tight, warm hug.
 
 
"I will never leave you..."
 
 
**
 
 
Yuri watched Jessica's every move from the couch in their living room with curiousity. The older one was holding a notepad while skipping towards her direction.
 
"What are you do-"
 
Jessica signalled a quiet sign to Yuri before giggling cutely. Yuri had no choice but to grant her lover's request and waited for her next action.
 
Shyly combing her hair to the back of her ear, Jessica flipped the notepad's cover and revealed two words written in her unique penmanship.
 
 
'Hello, Seobang!'
 
 
Yuri's face broke into a huge smile, the smile that will forever make Jessica's heart beat faster than normal.
 
Another page was flipped. Two words.
 
 
'Thank you.'
 
 
Flip.
 
 
'For being my voice.'
 
 
Flip.
 
 
'For loving me and my flaws.'
 
 
Flip.
 
 
'And for enduring everything with me.'
 
 
Yuri gave Jessica a confused look based on the last page but the latter just gave again the quiet sign and proceeded to turn the pages.
 
The next page had a long text.
 
 
'You must be feeling tired, right?
Every day, every hour, every minute and every second...
You are always taking care of me, spoiling me...'
 
 
Flip.
 
 
'I'm sorry because I have become a burden to your life.'
 
 
Yuri shook her head firmly, having the urge to clear all the doubt in Jessica's mind but again was halted by the girl.
 
 
'I'm sorry that you have to spend your entire life with a voiceless person like me.'
 
 
Yuri was about to stand up from her seat and run to her side until Jessica turned the next page.
 
 
'And I'm sorry because I chose to be selfish,
that I wanted no one but you,
that despite my case I will never let you go.'
 
 
Yuri felt she was Jessica since she was rendered speechless. She stood still, waiting for the next words Jessica wanted to say.
 
 
'Because of you, I can smile.'
 
 
Flip.
 
 
'I can laugh.'
 
 
Flip.
 
 
'I can love.'
 
 
Flip.
 
 
'I can talk.'
 
 
Yuri felt a tear roll down her cheek because of the overwhelming feeling conquering her whole system.
 
 
'These are only the few words I wanted to say to you.
Please give me more time to express myself more.'
Jessica smiled.
 
 
Flip.
 
 
'We... We live up the quote "Actions speak louder than words", don't we?'
 
 
Close.
 
 
Jessica put the notepad down on the coffee table before pointing an index finger to herself, crossing her arms with fists on her shoulders, and pointing the same finger towards Yuri.
 
Yuri understood the body language as she pulled Jessica closer, engulfing her into a grateful hug.
 
 
Simple, yet sufficient. Beautiful and meaningful. Imperfectly perfect.
 
 
"I love you too, Jessica."